Roe

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Muck Savage
All Star

Roe

Post by Muck Savage »

I hoe they give him the job, he can then drag them down further. Useless is what pops into the head when I think of him. There has to be better managers out there than the bunch of county hoppers out there now!

From todays Indo

Roe keen to take over Laois hot seat

FORMER Offaly manager Pat Roe says he's willing to throw his hat into the ring for the vacancy in Laois caused by the resignation of Liam Kearns.

"The vast majority of county team managers have the aspiration to manage their native county at some stage of their career," said Roe, who played both football and hurling for Laois.

"It's certainly an ambition of mine and, if I'm approached by the Laois County Board, I'd certainly be willing to be a candidate for the position."

U-21 boss Sean Dempsey, who has led the O'Moore County minors to All-Ireland success, is being widely touted as the front-runner for the job.

But Roe has packed in a fair amount of senior inter-county experience, having been involved with Carlow and Wexford, whom he steered to a National League final, prior to taking over Offaly.

Toll

"The two years with Offaly took its toll on me, but still when a vacancy in your own county crops up, it's not something you'd turn down a chance of being chosen for," said Roe, who was one of the candidates for the Laois manager's job after Mick O'Dwyer stepped down in September 2006.

"I feel having managed three county teams gears me towards managing my own county."

Prior to taking over at the Carlow helm, Roe managed the Crettyard club in Laois.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Roe

Post by Lone Shark »

Not a hope he'll get it. His name is absolutely mud after his time in Offaly. I'd say if decent clubs would be wary of taking him on now.

Though I'd say his "expenses" would be somewhat less this year....
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

As a matter of interest, what did his "expenses" amount to for the year?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

It would be difficult to confirm, for obvious reasons. Let's just say at the end of an average week while he was involved, he did grand.

I've chosen my words carefully. I suggest others do the same.

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

Lone Shark wrote: he did grand.
I think you're missing an "a" in that sentance :wink:

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

Them's serious lids. :shock:

I thought trainers were paid like refs, about €40 a night, officially approved and taxman approved etc. :roll:
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

so roe says 2 years with offaly took its toll on him well mr laois not as much as 2 years with you took on the people of offaly . i really hope the give him the job but i doubt it .
great history hoping for a better future

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Apologies for coming across all big brother and stuff, but once it's gone into the realm of real numbers, we had to go snipping. I know that this stuff is fairly widely known, but it still can't be said explicitly for reasons that should be obvious enough.

I'm also aware that it was me who sent this thread down this particular road too, and for that I apologise - it was bad judgement on my part. I hope ye'll understand.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

This wouldnt happen in South Ossetia. free speech and all that...... 8) 8)
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Go on then. Speculate on the Dynamo Tbilisi manager's wages. See how far you get.......

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

LS - I appreciate that your not trying to go down the dangerous road of saying how much the man got so I won't ask the question direct.

However, as a supporter who buys my "car sticker" every year to support the teams and travel around the country to support them (although not as much as I would like) I think I should be able to see how much this man gets to do the job. All I'll see at the end of the year from the county board is how much the football team cost. That will include expenses that the players and backroom team get so you have no idea how much the manager gets. Now to have got x amount and put us back a 20 years is poor. If he's being paid money to train the teams, and lets be honest this goes far further than expenses, then everyone should know. At club AGM's the numbers are broken out to the euro where the money is spent so is this not the case with the Offaly County Board AGM's? I haven't attended one so I don't know but can someone shead some light on this?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Muck Savage wrote: However, as a supporter who buys my "car sticker" every year to support the teams and travel around the country to support them (although not as much as I would like) I think I should be able to see how much this man gets to do the job.
I agree with you, and in fact I'd take it one notch further. Not alone should we be able to see, we should know without asking - it should cost us exactly what it has cost him to do his job. There should be no unreceipted expenses and there should be no mileage over and above what the players are given.

However I'm now living in a dream world, so back to reality.

The ugly truth which no one likes to admit, is that these things are couched because they have to be couched. Revenue Commissioners have very strict rules about what constitutes legitimate expenses and what's going too far. The whole system requires grey area. Lest there be any confusion, this is not a good thing in my opinion, but that's the way it is. In the case of big name managers who command much higher sums, then usually the money is not paid out county board accounts but out of private company accounts, where there is a lot more room to hide an elephant, so to speak.

The AGM will simply break it down into "team preparation costs" and go no further, to my knowledge. I'll be able to tell ye a lot more after this year.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

I really don't mind managers getting paid extra, there is a lot of work in looking after a team these days (especially an Offaly team). I think they should be paid in two ways, one expenses for travel same as the players and then the extra that they need to be paid to do the job. That way the goverment can Tax them on the extra and leave the expenses untouched, it should be clear for everyone to see what these lads are getting.

I know this has been a topic here before, paying managers etc but take for example a certian little squeeky man training a inter county hurling team. Man not working (so assumed to be drawing the dole), getting paid a nice amount per session which will be Tax free. Now add this to his bit on the side with the TV channel before the position was taken up, being paid the same amount as Roe at a club team (that lost all C'ship games - in relegation position now) it all adds up to a nice amount. Then us muppets pay our tax and supporter fees for these clowns without seeing what is going on? The ones I feel most sorry for is the players. These lads are running them into the ground to justify their big numbers, the pressure keeps building for them. If things were a bit more open then I think it would be better for the game. Football right now is turning ultra conservative with teams at a level of fittness that is unreal, however the skill level is gone out of the game and this is a result of managers being under a microscope. Minor and U21 inter county games are far better to watch these days. A sloution may be something like College football in the US where there is a limited number of hours a team can train.

Anyway, I'm getting away from the topic. I for one would like it to be publicly known how much these so called managers get paid and in a case like Roe we could all see how much he took Offaly for!