Shamrocks hand dual star hefty suspension

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
athlumneyboy
County player

Shamrocks hand dual star hefty suspension

Post by athlumneyboy »

25 July 2008

The Shamrocks club has dished out a suspension that rules dual star Rory Kearney out for the rest of the season.

It’s a tough stance from the club against one of its top players, who is censured following an alleged incident in a club game against Edenderry.

Kearney featured on the side that drew with Tubber in the first round of the SFC and is also a member of the club’s senior hurling side.

It is alleged that he made an inappropriate comment to an opposing player during a recent Division One match.

The alleged incident was invested by a special sub-committee within the club and the full committee approved the suspension.

Over The Black Spot
County player

Re: Shamrocks hand dual star hefty suspension

Post by Over The Black Spot »

If he said what he's alleged to have said then he more than deserves his suspension.. absolutely scandalous if true.

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

I hears what he said. That sort of carry on is disgracefull. He should be thrown out of the club!!
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

theman wrote:I hears what he said. That sort of carry on is disgracefull. He should be thrown out of the club!!
what did he say, could sum1 private mail

Jolly Roger
Junior B

Post by Jolly Roger »

Ahoy Mateys!!!

Proper order, make him walk the plank. About time clubs start taking responsibility. If they did more of it at this the grass roots level, then the the senior intercounty scene would be a lot better off!

Aaaarrrrrhhhhhh!!!!!!

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Fair play to Shamrocks, credit where credit is due. There are plenty of other clubs where this would have just been ignored and protect our little Johnny but fair play to them they made the hard call.

Hopefully now he does the decent thing and admits he was wrong and takes his suspension honourably.
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:Fair play to Shamrocks, credit where credit is due. There are plenty of other clubs where this would have just been ignored and protect our little Johnny but fair play to them they made the hard call.

Hopefully now he does the decent thing and admits he was wrong and takes his suspension honourably.
I'd definitely second this. The spirit of doing the right thing against your own best interests is something that has been a lot harder to find in the GAA in recent years and Shamrocks are to be commended for acting in the spirit of the games and doing justice by both Rory and the sinned against individual.

I'd be pretty sure that there would be nowhere for Rory to go even if he did wish to contest it. It's an internal club suspension rather than a GAA one, so they could just decline to pick him even if some higher power suggested that they were out of order.

I would imagine that Rory himself will come out of this a better man for the experience. Certainly one would hope that Shamrocks get good karma out of it.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Did someone not post details of this incident on this site without naming names? Can't find the thread now?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Twas removed - protecting the victim and all that.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Oh right. Jesus this place is worse than China :lol:

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Shamrocks as a club derserve massive kudos here for been proactive in their approach to player discipline. What was said by Mr Kearney during that game was an utter travesty and Shamrocks have taken the appropiate action.

As regards this player learning his lesson I fear that this might not be the case.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

Can someone PM me with what was said??

Felix
Junior C

Post by Felix »

I have to row in behind Shamrocks here also. They have set a great precedent and deserve to be held up as an example to the rest.

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

An unbelieavable and despicable thing to say...

A six month internal ban is a great gesture but could also hint at the mans internal popularity in the club
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Silken Thomas wrote:An unbelieavable and despicable thing to say...

A six month internal ban is a great gesture but could also hint at the mans internal popularity in the club
I would be loathe to speculate about the internal cliques or relationships within Shamrocks GAA club but I will say this - every club has unpopular players but that tends not to be too much of a factor when the teams are being named. Rory was a useful member of the football panel and even more significant to their hurlers and whether or not other players got on with him, it is a blow to their chances of winning the football championship and avoiding relegation in the hurling. (How much of a blow is a matter for conjecture)

Those wishing to mitigate the club's actions could also point to the fact that the two clubs are set to meet in the championship in a few weeks. This issue would have been a serious rallying point for Edenderry were it not to be dealt with, and would have guaranteed a very fired up team of Reds for what is likely to be a very important match. Shamrocks actions have now completely taken the heat out of this situation, I would imagine that Edenderry can be feeling nothing but respect for Shamrocks club right now.

Ultimately though, it would have been very easy to give the man a one match or a one month suspension, so I'd be inclined to stand by my belief that irrespective of Kearney's personal standing in the club, whatever that may be, Shamrocks have acted in the greater interest rather than just in their own interest and on a day when Paul Galvin has been partially reprieved, that's all the more commendable.