Look at Wexford

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
naasmanxrhode
All Star

Look at Wexford

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Well done to Wexford footballers. They have roughly the same team as we beat in the semis 2 years ago and look at them now. Division 3 champs and in a Leinster final. The best day's work they did was getting rid of Pat Roe. They look fit, very fit and are playing as a team, not afraid to shoot for scores. They'll give the Dubs (i presume) plenty to think about as they have plenty of big fit men.
Be careful out their

uibhfhaili
County player

Re: Look at Wexford

Post by uibhfhaili »

Wexford are a v limited side at the end of the day. Leinster football is in a right mess at the moment.

Oskar
Intermediate
Club: Clara

Post by Oskar »

I was talking today to a former Wexford footballer. He was saying he was sorry to see Pat Roe leave Wexford at the time, that it would've been good if he'd hung around for a year or two more....Wexford did well yesterday but that's a declining Laois team that they beat. I wouldn't fancy their chances in the Leinster Final.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

I must say I thought when Paul Bealin left last year that Wexford would slide away quietly into the background and not be heard of for a long time to come. When Jason Ryan took the reigns it was a case of Jason who and nobody really gave them much thought at the start of the year but he has taken them on to the next level in at least reaching a Leinster final. For a county who have lost the last 4 semi finals in a row the pressure must have been fierce leading up to yesterday's game and there is no doubt that the terrific fightback against Meath has given them great confidence. They play as a real team, a Wexford man in posession always had a team mate on the shoulder ready to accept the pass if there was traffic converging. They are physically strong and apart from Forde they have forwards like Barry,Banville and Lyng who know where the posts are. They will stay neck and neck with Dublin for about 55 to 60 minutes but you would expect Dublin to have 6 or 7 points to spare come the final whistle.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

great to see them in the final

i'll put money on westmeath to run the Dubs close. with the blanket defence

shows any county what can be done
only the best...

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

A fair achievement by Wexford especially considering they are a dual county (well sort of) now. Ryan must take great credit, he seems to have instilled fantastic confidence in them and they look very fit too. Although Laois aren't the biggest of teams, Wexford totally destroyed them for power, pace and workrate. They have good footballers in every line and are not totally reliant on Forde for scores anymore.
Based on yesterday, they'll give the Dubs or Westmeath a right go.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd say there wouldn't be much between Wex and Westmeath, but I'd still say that the Dubs are a cut above, at least until they prove otherwise. You have to go back a long way before you find the last time that the Dubs lost to a team that didn't reach the AI Final (Westmeath in 2004 I think) and they certainly haven't done it in the Caffrey era.

It certainly removes another bit of the sheen that was on Pat Roe's reputation as well. People are realising that he wasn't just working with Mattie Forde and 14 other runabouts, that lads like Phillip Wallace, PJ Banville and particularly Red Barry are top class footballers too.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Wexford are a far better side without Roe and will in my view beat a very hypted up Dublin who could struggle against W'Meath even though Flanagan will be a big loss. We should get rid of Roe and Molloy now and bring in someone like Wexford did. Darby would be the best bet at the moment as he knows the best players in the county. Roe does'nt know the names of half the panel he has left. The draw is live on TV3 on Sunday next at 6.00pm. Hope we draw Tyrone (away) and that will be that for everyone concerned. We would be murdered and Roe and Molloy could F**K OFF into the sunset and well away from Offaly football at all levels.
Be careful out their

athlumneyboy
County player

Post by athlumneyboy »

Married to girl from Tyrone she is a cousin of Brian Dooher+Stephen O'Neill things are not going well in their camp at the moment also so wouldn't be a bad draw.

Offaly need a home draw i feel to progress to next round.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

athlumneyboy wrote:Married to girl from Tyrone she is a cousin of Brian Dooher+Stephen O'Neill things are not going well in their camp at the moment also so wouldn't be a bad draw.

Offaly need a home draw i feel to progress to next round.
Jaysus - it mightn't be the worst draw we could get (i.e. Derry away would be worse) but I think we can hope for a little better than that! I'd say Louth, Roscommon or Tipp away might be beatable - if the lads are interested. All the indications are that they aren't.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

with lone shark on this one , a troubled tyrone camp is the last thing we would want , generally in gaa where theres trouble theres a backlash

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

My nightmare draw would be Armagh[if they were to lose to Down next Sunday]. It would be like going into the land of the giants, have ye seen the size of this team. It would be David v Goliath in every sense of the word. We would be up against 15 bodybuilders who can also play a bit too.