Bertie goes - Cowen in the driving seat now!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Treasurer
All Star

Re: Bertie goes - Cowen in the driving seat now!

Post by Treasurer »

azoffaly wrote:
Ahem.

Mount St. Joseph Abbey, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary, Ireland| Phone +353 (0) 505 21711| Fax +353 (0) 505 22198| Email: info@msjroscrea.ie
Having a postal address in Tipperary is a cross some of us have to bear, but I can assure you that the said Monastery is on the right side of the border!!!

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Treasurer wrote:
azoffaly wrote:
Ahem.

Mount St. Joseph Abbey, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary, Ireland| Phone +353 (0) 505 21711| Fax +353 (0) 505 22198| Email: info@msjroscrea.ie
Having a postal address in Tipperary is a cross some of us have to bear, but I can assure you that the said Monastery is on the right side of the border!!!

It took a while, but the truth will out. :D
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

MF35 wrote:Jaysus BNMM, the emails are flying around the place today referring to the pictures and the thread above. Hope Cowen gets a copy of it.
We could do with some sort of motorway linking Clara - Ballycumber - Doon - and on towards the bridge (maybe even bypass it...)
Twill be great having the Taoiseach supporting us in Croker this year!
I'd say the Mr Cowen wouldn't appreciate the leaking confidential blueprints on this site, so best to keep quiet.

Artist's impression of the Interchange at Doon Cross Roads on the aforementioned motorway!
Martins has its own slip road.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Artist's impression of the Interchange at Doon Cross Roads on the aforementioned motorway!
Martins has its own slip road.
And rightly so, Martins will have to have it's own slip road. As long as that Wall is put in place before Ballinahown we'll all be happy.

MF35
Intermediate

Post by MF35 »

[quote="Muck Savage"][quote="Bord na Mona man"]Artist's impression of the Interchange at Doon Cross Roads on the aforementioned motorway!
Martins has its own slip road.[/quote]

And rightly so, Martins will have to have it's own slip road. As long as that Wall is put in place before Ballinahown we'll all be happy.[/quote]

Better still, install a 'one-way' toll barrier into Doon from both the Balinahown and Castledaly roads. Lets charge all those WH feckers coming into Offaly!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

From next January an OY reg will get you free through all toll booths in Ireland!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Darby says Cowen’ elevation will be great for the GAA
05 April 2008

Offaly All-Ireland SFC-winning medallist Seamus Darby says that the imminent elevation of the Faithful County native Brian Cowen to the position of Taoiseach will be a great boost to the GAA.

Darby was joined on the 1982 Offaly senior football panel by the present Minister for Finance before Cowen was dropped from the squad just prior to Darby and Co’s famous All-Ireland SFC final win over Kerry.

"Under normal circumstances a player of Brian’s calibre would have been retained," said Darby. "But it was very competitive back then, and yet he almost made it.

"I played against him in numerous Rhode versus Clara championship matches. He was a formidable player and gave his all for the hour.

"Brian is a GAA man through and through, and gets to as many games as he can. He will be great for the GAA and he doesn’t suffer fools lightly."

Loughers
All Star

Post by Loughers »

I believe the term Biffo was in the Guardian at the weekend. For f*ck sake. Fr. Reddan said a nice few words about Cowen at mass on Saturday night in Birr. A round of applause ensued. To say it wasn't universally acknowledged was an understatement. I always thought Birr was a FF town?!?!? Shower of begrudging c*nts. I made a list. Mugabe-esque.
Esto Fidelis

Bord na Mona man
All Star

There must have been these fliers passed around before hand!

http://www.mycatholicsource.com/mcs/res ... church.pdf

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

The first casualty

The roads are long in Kerry...

But don't worry folks, he'll rise again

It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

And lo it's all coming to pass already......

Clara Notes wrote:Work has commenced on the construction of a new nightclub in Clara. The club is the brainchild of local business man Nigel Tobella and has been in the planning stage for the past few years. The state of the art nightclub is being built behind Nigels pub and off licence in the town centre. There has been no nightclub in clara since the closure of the Mill nightclub some years ago. This has led to young people leaving Clara on weekend nights and travelling to neighbouring towns. The new nightclub is being welcomed as it is hoped to stop this exit of young people and also attract clubbers from other areas.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Since this thread was resurrected it might be an idea to have a chat about how he's going so far.

I think we all knew Brian was like a corner forward waiting for a ball while an outfield player (Bertie) dilly dallied with the ball until he was under so much pressure that by the time he actually passed the ball the corner forward was never going to have a chance to do anything with it!

However now that Brian has the ball how do we think he's doing. I personally loved him at the start. He came in cutting out all the bullshit but I think all government parties took a bashing over the Lisbon referendum and the media have really jumped on him over that.

I do think he might be starting to slip into spin mode at the moment with all this talk of recession. I'd much rather if he came out and said told us that forces outside our control are driving us into this and now we have to make the hard decisions that will help us keep our necks above water until we ride this thing out.
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

TheManFromFerbane wrote: I do think he might be starting to slip into spin mode at the moment with all this talk of recession. I'd much rather if he came out and said told us that forces outside our control are driving us into this and now we have to make the hard decisions that will help us keep our necks above water until we ride this thing out.
I'm as much a fan of Biffo as the next man, but you're fairly buying into the spin yourself if you think that a guy who has just spent the last four years as Minister for Finance could come out and say that forces outside our control caused all this.

I'm quite underwhelmed myself. He came in with an overwhelming mandate within the parliamentary party at least, and as the holder of the largest vote in Ireland, one could argue he had a massive personal mandate as well - yet he has not taken the chance to do any of the little things that would send out the signal to the populace that we're all in this together, rather than the usual Fianna Fáil thing of "ye'll have to tighten ye're belts, but I'll be loosening mine because this builder mate of mine has just bought me a steak."

He could have got rid of half the junior ministers - he didn't.
He could have got rid of token regional ministers who have proven their incompetence - guys like Cullen and O'Cuiv - he didn't.
He could have categorically come out and said that the recent recommended pay rises for politicians and senior civil services will not be implemented - he didn't, even though they won't be paid and eventually it will look like the opposition and public opinion forced the turnaround.
He could have got the Dáil to stay in session to bring in an emergency budget to sort all this out and nip it in the bud - he didn't, the lads are all nipping off for the summer as per usual. It's not like there's a recession starting or anything.
He could have drawn a line between Fianna Fáil of the past and the present, or at least attempted to do by booting the "Class Act" out on her oversized classless arse - but he didn't, he let her back into the party whereby she's straight away talking about the exchequer bailing out the Galway Race tent massive by buying up all the poor developers unsold stock.

I really want to believe in our Brian, I really do. For whatever reason I've taken a lot of this kind of stuff to heart in recent years and some of the antics of Bertie and his boys have left me on the brink of wanting to have a revolution and hang the hoors from the highest crane in the middle of the large swathes of under-serviced commuter belt that they have created, but I held off because something about Brian made me believe he was different.

Nothing he has done is remotely different so far and I can feel the urge to sharpen the guillotine coming back to be honest.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fro ... 29548.html

Gutted. Can't believe he would do this. I feel like such a prat for thinking any of them would be any different. I spent weeks telling people how he was different. How he was going to cut the shite and now this.

Recession my hole.
The night is darkest before the dawn

swiftpost
County player

Post by swiftpost »

Think it would be best to leave politics off uibhfhaili.com as there is no surer topic to cause an argument!