Offaly players in Fitzgibbon/Sigerson Cup competitions

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Offaly players in Fitzgibbon/Sigerson Cup competitions

Post by Lone Shark »

I've long been a believer that this competition is the closest thing to intercounty championship that you'll get all year, NFL/NHL included, so I thought it would be interesting to keep an eye on the games and see how the Offaly players involved get on - who gets picked a year or two ahead of time, who struggles to get the nod over moderate rivals for the shirt, and who stands up and takes on real responsibility for a good team. Now I'm not exactly an expert on third level games - the only ones I've seen this year were yesterday's NUIG vs AIT Sigerson match and a farce of a Ryan cup fixture in AIT when they ran up 11-22 against Cork CFE. So the more contributions we get the better. Most of this is taken from match reports off papers etc., so please, anyone who can flesh it out, do so.

Hurling

Cathal Horan, Neil Rogers and Colin Egan all hurled for GMIT against Garda, at 5, 8 and 11 respectively. Rogers scored a point fom midfield, Egan didn't score (though that's good going for a 19 year old getting picked at all at this level) and Barry Nugent of Clare was Horan's direct opponent and he scored 0-2 - though that could have been after being switched, I've no idea.

UL is the most Biff-intensive hurling college, got a hoor of a draw and now face a winner takes all game with LIT next week to stay alive. Not loving their chances. Against WIT Michael Verney hurled corner back, apparently against some G Griffey who failed to score and was taken off, Sean Ryan was midfield and Brian Carroll (how long is he in college now???) scored 0-2 from wing forward.

NUIG have David Kenny hurling wing back, seemingly doing okay and outshining an off-form John Lee beside him according to lads I was talking to yesterday, albeit in a misfiring team, while Trevor Corcoran hurled full back for DIT against them and had a tough battle with Darragh Egan. James Gorman is on the NUIG panel but I believe he hasn't seen any action so far, ditto James Masterson for DIT.

As it has been for as long as I can remember Brendan Murphy is hurling for UCD, but he failed to score for them in a high scoring win over UUJ and doesn't seem to be at his best right now. No-one else there that I know of.

The second tier Ryan Cup is a minefield that I know very little about. We're actually barely represented at all in Athlone IT who right now look like clear favourites for the competition along with Tipp Institute, though I believe Joe Bergin will be featuring for them yet. Right now I believe the play for him is right corner, making him the smallest member of their full forward line. Anyone taking them on better have a few solid defenders on hand.

Now in the Football most teams have yet to play Sigerson, but hopefully this thread will inspire people to keep an eye on our lads and post anything up here.

Athlone IT unsurprisingly had the usual suspects, with Trevor Phelan lining out at centre forward and giving his all as always, but he looks like a player short on confidence to me. NUIG were doing like every other team and taking him out as soon as he got any momentum up at all. James Coughlan is himself, still infuriating but still very accurate and capable of shooting some fine points.

Carlow IT had a couple on board, with Niall Smith lining out alongside Brendan Quigley in midfield, while I think that was Stephen Egan who came off the bench to replace Tuohy. (Unsure though - anyone confirm or deny?)

Gerry Grehan was injured and unavailable for selection for DIT, so hopefully he'll get a run against DCU next time out.

Finally the dark horse was Nigel Dunne in Maynooth - moderate opposition, but scoring 1-2 from wing forward suggests he's more at home in decent company than many of us would have expected from him so soon. Under 21 selectors you would hope would take in his next game and see if he's really coming on as quick as this.

That's all for now - the next round will see a lot more players come on board.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kinnittyman
All Star

Re: Offaly players in Fitzgibbon/Sigerson Cup competitions

Post by kinnittyman »

Top notch posting LS. Great to get an update on the College scene around the country. Il add a little bit of information if in can although its mainly to do with my own club so its limited enough
Last years Offaly minor goalie James Dempsy is sub goalie for the Fitz team in UL, while other Offaly minors from the last 2 years are like Brian Coughlan and Odhran Kealey are only on the freshers panel. Bit surprised with Odhran not being good enough for the senior panel. Steven Molloy who came on as a sub in U21 leinster final is not doing much hurling at the mo with UL as far as i i know.
Colm Coughlan who started u21 final is hurling corner forward for DCU in the Ryan Cup and they drew with Carlow IT on wednesday.
Speaking of the Ryan Cup is Joe Bergin going to be hurling for Tipp Inst or AIT- I couldnt make it out form your post. Cant see Tipp being in the final shake up as they lost to Mary I by a point in a desperate game in the group so I think they could get AIT in the Q-final while Mary I look like they have an easier q-final against DCU or Carlow IT.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Apologies for the dreadful phrasing on my part - Bergin is eligible for AIT, though he has barely played for them yet, if at all even in the league.

Mary I wouldn't be far away either, though I think the general feeling was that Tipp Institute were the better overall team. Tralee IT are dark horses too - a couple of decent Limerick players involved with them among others.

UL do look light on forwards, so I'm surprised Kealey didn't get a run, though having said that he's not exactly built for winter hurling. Possibly a degree of horses for courses going on. Stephen Molloy on the other hand would be a very handy player to have on board if he was so inclined. It's a pity because he'd be a guy who I'd see as a dark horse be a dark horse to come into the reckoning for a county call up in a year or two, and these kind of games would be a great learning process.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Jesus Joe Bergin would be some addition to their panel. Couldnt see them being beaten with him on the team. Ur spot on with ur assumption on the Kinnitty lads. But in Stevens case he got a very bad injury in the jnr c football final the end of the year so maybe he just wants to take a step back ahead of our latest tilt at this county final appearance.

I suppose no one has a book open on the Ryan Cup would they?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

They have some savage hurlers all right. I was watching them last week, and though you couldn't judge based on the opposition, they'll be hard stopped at that level. The Sheridan guy fom Wexford at centre back was excellent, and they've picked up a Kirwan lad from Ballygunner as well who is hurling some great stuff. A good scatter of east Galway fellas as well, and of course Cathal Dervan at full forward. Training four times a week with Galway, four times a week with AIT and doing a bit of weights work himself - all while still gaining weight. The man has arms like telephone poles.

I'd have a few bob on them myself, but I can't see a bookie anywhere having the balls to do it - I know I wouldn't, so that usually rules out everyone else in Ireland.

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

I think rory guinan played for the Gardai the other day at half foward. They seem to have a strong line up with the like of Denis Gleenon and Michael Cussen on it as well. Anymore Offaly lads played during the week?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Meant to get back to this topic before now, apologies for that......

First up to the quarters yesterday - LIT knocked off UCD, and with no Offaly representation on board they ain't much good to us! However I read a report that had B Murphy lining out at wing forward (no scores) for UCD - surely he ain't back playing already, I though he was out for months at least?

GMIT are still flying the flag for us best. Another good win for them yesterday over CIT, with four Offaly lads on board. Ciarán Flannery was lining out at corner back, and it appears held Cathal Naughton scoreless, though no doubt one or both of them would have been moved at some stage. Cathal Horan, Neil Rodgers and Colin Egan were all playing as well, with Rodgers back in the half back line.

Trevor Corcoran was still at full back for DIT, and was mentioned in the examiner as being one of their better players, though full backs will obviously feature considerably when you concede 3-15!

No involvement in Pat's vs UCC.

UL was still our biggest casualty to date, though in mitigation it looks like they'll be knocked out in a group containing the two finalists. Seán Ryan was back playing after injury at wing forward in their draw with LIT, but didn't score, while Brian Carroll scored 0-3 from full forward and was meant to have played pretty well. Michael Verney had a tough day, alternating between marking Canning (while on the field) and Bernard Gaffney, who is a tough challenge in that position purely due to size.

As to the football, going through the games....GMIT beat Waterford with Niall Darby still playing corner back, while WIT (albeit a very poor side at this grade) had Keith Higgins at full back and Ger Dunne came off the bench. Rory Guinan scored a couple of points for Garda college, in what was a very decent lineup (Billy Brennan was a sub) and a good win over Carlow IT with Niall Smith and Donal Corbett.

Nigel Dunne was in decent form again for NUI Maynooth (U-21 selectors please note) scoring a couple of points against the tide against IT Tralee, while an R McCormack came off the bench (who's this then?), and Stephen Lonergan played wing back for UL against St. Mary's. Otherwise the Sigerson was a bit barren.

As an aside I see Athlone It got beaten by Maynooth in the Ryan cup too. Thankfully no-one was offering prices, God knows DCU cost me enough ..... :cry:

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Ya I see Athlone were beaten. You or I didn't see that one coming LS. I wonder Joe Bergin hurl at all? Semi finals next weekend are DCU vs Tipp Inst and Maynooth vs Mary I. Think il tip down on friday week and have an old gander.

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

Sigerson Cup back on track
27/03/2008 - 9:56:55 PM

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/sport/story. ... z93x&t=gaa

The Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup is back on track after the GAA's Higher
Education Council tonight fixed the remaining games in the competition.

In a dramatic twist, Cork IT made an eleventh hour decision not to
proceed with their appeal over the eligibility of the Garda College trio
of Graham Dillon (Westmeath), Cork's Michael Cussen and Aidan O'Mahony
of Kerry.

CIT GAA club informed Comhairle Ardoideachais (CA) just hours before a
hastily-convened meeting of the committee, which was due to hear the
case tonight at Croke Park, that they would not be travelling.

However CA proceeded with their meeting as planned and decided on the
remaining Sigerson Cup fixtures.

The Cork college had been due to appeal under Rule 145 of the official
guide which covers the eligibility of players.

CIT's decision not to pursue with their appeal left it open for CA to
proceed with fixing the semi-final between Garda College and GMIT and
the final involving the winners of that game and UUJ.

It had been originally thought that the semi-final would take place next
week, but with the involvement of players from the remaining colleges in
National League and Cadbury's Under-21 football championship action, the
penultimate round has been moved back a further week.

Garda College will face GMIT on Tuesday, April 8 at Kiltoom, County
Roscommon in an evening fixture.

The final will take place a fortnight later under floodlights at IT
Carlow, with the game due to be screened live on TG4.

Both Garda College and GMIT have never won the Sigerson Cup with the
latter bidding for a first final appearance.

UUJ have held the prestigious silverware on four occasions, and were
beaten in last year's decider after extra-time by rivals Queens
University Belfast.

Jordanstown have not won the competition since 2001 when Donegal's Jimmy
McGuinness captained the side.

PROVISIONAL SIGERSON CUP FIXTURES

TUESDAY, APRIL 8 -
Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup Semi-final
GMIT v Garda College, 6.15pm at Kiltoom
(Extra-time if necessary)

TUESDAY, APRIL 22 -
Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup Final
GMIT/Garda College v UUJ, 7.30pm at IT Carlow
(Extra-time if necessary)
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

Rory Guinan and Niall Darby are still involved in this competition. The Garda team is a very decent outfit and should progress to play UUJ in the final.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I see the semi for this was played on Tuesday, and by all accounts both Darby and Guinan were top notch. Darby went off early with a blood injury and came back on to play wing forward, win ball, cover every blade of grass and score two points. One fella told me that even allowing for O'Brien scoring 2-6, Darby was his man of the match .

Guinan was very decent as well - powerful, direct, didn't waste the ball and scored three points.

With our county team currently without a single half forward who you could say is a nailed on starter, I don't think we're in a position to ignore two lads in this kind of form. Pat Roe please note.

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

Lone Shark wrote:I see the semi for this was played on Tuesday, and by all accounts both Darby and Guinan were top notch. Darby went off early with a blood injury and came back on to play wing forward, win ball, cover every blade of grass and score two points. One fella told me that even allowing for O'Brien scoring 2-6, Darby was his man of the match .

Guinan was very decent as well - powerful, direct, didn't waste the ball and scored three points.

With our county team currently without a single half forward who you could say is a nailed on starter, I don't think we're in a position to ignore two lads in this kind of form. Pat Roe please note.
Agreed. Both deserve a shot. Niall Darby can also take frees too.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Final played tonight - Guinan scored six points and was supposedly the main attacking threat for Garda College.

Over to you Pat.

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

Dogged UUJ claim title

SIGERSON CUP UU Jordanstown 1-16 Garda College 1-14 (Aet: 1-11 to 1-11 after 60 mins) THE SIGERSON Cup remained north of the Border for a second year after the University of Jordanstown overcame Garda in a thrilling final which went to extra- time at the Carlow IT grounds last evening. UUJ thus succeed Queen's University as champions.

UUJ held a slight edge for most of this game but they were unable to put away a spirited Garda side who were seeking a first Sigerson success.

The northern university gained an upper hand in the late stages of the first half in normal time to establish an interval lead of 0-8 to 0-5.

When Antrim's Paddy Cunningham crashed home a 35th-minute goal UUJ led 1-10 to 0-7 and looked on the way to the title.

But Dublin player John O'Brien countered that goal minutes later when he lashed home a close-range free, catching the UUJ defence off guard. O'Brien top scored for his side with 1-4.

UUJ, playing into the strong wind, were clinging to a one-point lead when Garda substitute James Martin kicked a levelling point to leave the sides deadlocked on 1-11 each, thus ensuring extra-time.

The teams were still level at 1-14 apiece when half-time of extra- time was reached but excellent second-half extra-time points from Derry's Mark Lynch and Paddy Cunningham saw UUJ home as they made wind advantage tell.

Remarkably, only three players scored for UUJ - the outstanding Cunningham scored 1-9, 1-5 from play, Lynch notched 0-6, while centre back Karl Lacey of Donegal scored the game's opening point.

Lacey gave a man of the match performance for the winners.

UUJ finished with 13 men after second yellow cards for two of their substitutes, James McGovern and Ciarán Donnelly, in the last minutes of extra time.

Garda had been reduced to 14 players when Cormac McGill was sent off in the early minutes of the first half of extra-time after halting a UUJ forward who was in flight for goal.

UUJ: M McAllister; C Harrison, D McCaul, D Morgan; P McGuigan, K Lacey (0-1), P Donnelly; B McKenna, C Kavanagh; D Hughes, T McCann, R Mulgrew; M Lynch (0-6, three frees), P Cunningham (1-9, four frees), A Moran. Subs: J McGovern for Hughes (half-time), B Dunnion for Harrison (45 mins), C Donnelly for Moran (74 mins).

GARDA COLLEGE: P O'Connor; C McGill, C McGrath, A Pender; G Dillon, D Mullaghy, E Callaghan; A O'Mahony, A O'Donovan; S Buckley, R Guinan (0-6, three frees, one 45), D Glennon; J O'Brien (1-4, 1-2 frees), M Harrington (0-3), J Keane. Subs: B Brennan for Keane (half-time), J Martin (0-1) for O'Donovan (52 mins).

Referee: D Coldrick (Meath).

© 2008 The Irish Times

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

Rory did indeed score 6 points from centre forward on a strong Garda team. Best for Garda were centre back Mullaghy, midfielder O'Mahoney and forwards Buckley, Rory and John O'Brien. Glennon won a lot of ball in front of his man but rarely got away from him as he was fouled whenever he turned. The inevitable free that ensued were converted by Rory or O'Brien. Buckley was my MOTM because his tackling was the best I've seen since Froggy Daly was at his best in 1997 - and this from a wing forward.

Best for UUJ were Lacey and his two corner forwards Lynch and Cunningham. Antrim man Cunningham was brilliant throughout and Lynch has the makings of a good inter-county player. However despite the write up in the Times, Lacey wasn't even the best centre back on show. Mullaghy was far superior on a night when wet and windy conditions meant that balls were hard won and even harder to distribute.

UUJ won this game because Garda conceded too many scoreable frees. On a normal day you would expect 60-70% of frees inside the 45 to be converted but I can only remember one free kick from UUJ within reasonable scoring distance that was missed.

Note to self: Bring sunscreen and an umbrella to every game I go to see this summer. Feckin' Irish weather.