Birr

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Muck Savage
All Star

Birr

Post by Muck Savage »

Lads, I'll get this kicked off early as I'll try and take Friday off (and maybe even sneek out tomorrow).

Best of Luck to Birr Sunday. You'll have the whole county behind you and I hope a large proportion will be in HQ Monday to shout ye on. I'm from "the football end" of the county and will be roaring ye on Sunday up there. Ye've been the underdawgs for the majority of the games up to now so lets have the same result as the other games and a great night in Birr Monday. I saw the great Joe Canning in a few games recently, he's a big man but I was suprised at his lack of speed. I'd have confidence in one of the Speedy Birr backs being able to keep him tame from play, then it's a case of not giving up frees in the Birr half.

Come on Birr! :D

green&white
Senior

Re: Birr

Post by green&white »

Best of Luck on Monday Birr.. As already said the whole county is behind you (if their not, it doesn't say much about them!!)
Would love to see the living legend Sid bow out at the top, while accepting the Cup on the steps of the Hogan Stand, the arena he graced so finely for over two decades (minor included), while making history for Birr and Offaly.
Again Best wishes.. From a staunch Cooldery Supporter!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

All Ireland Club Final, Birr v Portumna, 17th March 2008

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

In recent years club hurling finals have tended to be drab affairs. This has been due to a variety of reasons – one of the teams being an inexperienced team who was overawed by the occasion and Croke Park, or a team was missing players due to injury or suspension or carrying injuries.

Not so this year where two clubs who have been successful over course and distance before and who we can be almost certain won’t collapse under the pressure. I am expecting a memorable final from Birr and Portumna – probably the best since Athenry pipped Graigue Ballycallan in foot and mouth year, 2001. The one factor most likely to ruin Monday’s final would be a strong wind – which is a big worry at time of writing.

At 24km apart, Birr and Portumna are the clubs closest together, by distance, to contest a final in the history of the competition. To add spice, Portumna will be passing through Birr en route to and from Dublin!

Portumna are the nouveau riche of Galway hurling. Having struggled for a hundred years to make an impact and spent many years in intermediate and junior grades, they have finally come good with a number of young hurlers who grew up together. They finally captured the Tom Callanan Cup for the first time in 2003. They’ve now reached seven successive county semi finals, five successive finals and have brought the county cup home twice more, in ’05 and ’07. They reached the pinnacle of club hurling when they landed the All Ireland club title two years ago, beating Cork kingpins Newtownshandrum in the final. With the talent at their disposal they are well placed to dominate club hurling in Galway for the foreseeable future.

Portumna are a mix of strong, tough defenders who deliver first time ball to a speedy forward line who do most damage making dashing runs into space. They have yet to be really put to the pin of their collar this year, however. Their toughest match came in the county quarter final against Clarenbridge, falling into early arrears before eventually winning by five. They were always in control in their semi final win over Athenry while they blitzed Kinvara with an early goalscoring spree winning 6-12 to 0-11 in the county final.

The Hayes brothers have been to the fore up front. Damien is well known from his exploits with the county team – very quick but very strong also and deadly once inside the 20 metre line. Niall is deceptively quick and was prominent in the county final and in the recent semi final against Loughmore Castleiney, where they got a steady supply of long ball from defence. Their cousin Kevin Hayes is a tough battling centre forward who is well able to score. He will give Paul Cleary much trouble over the hour. Still, Michael Verney and John Paul O’Meara should do OK on Damien Hayes and David Canning. A key to Portumna is the space they can make for these to run into to set up goalscoring chances. Birr, though, tend to use a ‘blanket defence’ where midfield drop back to close down space, as they did to good effect in the win over Ballyhale.

Obviously Joe Canning is a major scoring threat to Birr. Big and strong for a youngster, he likes to roam and is well able to move out forty metres to bang over crucial scores, or to leave space behind him. He is also a good distributor and looks set for a long career in the county colours. He is likely to be opposed on Monday by Niall Claffey who has impressed at full back since moving back there during the county championship campaign. Canning should suit Claffey though and if Claffey could get the upperhand, even keeping the ball ‘tipped away’ from the young sharpshooter; Birr will be a long way to bringing home the title. Of course the best way to quieten a scoring threat at full forward is to cut off the supply from outfield.

In defence, while Mick Gill and Eugene McEntee are doughty defenders, they are not the quickest and could be exposed in Croke Park by Birr’s tearaways Sean Ryan and Michael Dwane. Will Dwane start though? I’d be inclined to keep him in reserve and spring him on the 35 – 40 minute mark, as they did against Dunloy. Birr will of course rely on Gary Hanniffy to win possession and distribute. Brian Whelahan will be a marked man but will also be key to distribution to the other forwards.

How Portumna line up the left flank of their defence will be interesting and could decide their fortunes on the day. Aidan O’Donnell, their established left half back, missed the semi final with a finger injury but is now fit again. Peter Smith deputised in the All-Ireland semi-final and while he hurled well, they will more likely plump for the taller O’Donnell to oppose Gary Hanniffy. Smith is not that tall and could be exposed by Hanniffy. Portumna will hardly leave Ollie Canning at corner back though. They could opt to play him in the half back line, possibly at wing back but they could also position Ollie at centre half back on Brian Whelahan moving Michéal Ryan to left half. Templederry native Ryan is a strong, forceful centre back and is settled in what was a problem position for the Shannonsiders before his transfer.

But the key clash I see will be at midfield between Rory Hanniffy and Eoin Lynch. The younger Hanniffy is in the form of his life these last few months and has the class and the speed and who doesn’t shirk the hard work either. Lynch is a fine hurler, who is big and strong and is able to take a score. He, too, showed he is in good form during their semi-final win. I think this duel will decide where the Tommy Moore cup will reside over the summer. Barry Whelahan and Leo Smith on the other side of midfield will also be interesting.

Birr have a contrast in alternatives depending on how the game pans out. They have a runner like Dwane to introduce – if he doesn’t start – and a worker in Keith Hehir, who they may need if the strong Portumna full back line burst out in front of their men. Of course this all depends on Paul O’Meara’s semi final injury. Portumna don’t tend to use subs much, fit-again defender Aidan O’Donnell being a probable alternative. They started fourteen of their All-Ireland winning side last time out – O’Donnell being the exception. Francis Canning and Ivan Muldoon were regulars a few years ago but have hardly featured of late.

Both sides have their own motivational edge to bring to the game. Birr know that this years campaign has been a bonus and they are unlikely to reach a final again. They will be keen to regain their top spot on the All Ireland roll of honour. Portumna know that they let slip a chance to win back to back club titles when they didn’t pay due respect to Loughrea last year and paid a heavy price. They now have an excellent opportunity to silence some detractors.

I’ve been impressed with Birr since their win over Ballyhale in November. They’ve proven their battling qualities throughout the team and fit-again Sean Ryan gives them a new dimension in attack. Birr have been through a number of tight matches where they had to battle all the way to the finish. I think this will stand to them and with Rory Hanniffy’s class coming to the fore between the two 45 metre lines, will see them just edge it.

Hopefully it will be a memorable final. I think it will.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

It seems I should be able to be in attendance, and like pretty much all Offaly people I'll be screaming my guts out for Birr to take the top spot on their own with five titles. It's been an absolute pleasure in the sense that they've still put in some very good performances in Leinster and against Dunloy, but in a throwback to the nineties, they got some tough battles coming out of Offaly as well which was nice to see. I'm not saying that the Shinrone or Clareen game would have been as tight if it were a straight knockout, but even so.

They also seem to be the first Offaly team, club or county, to successfully marry all the trickery and subtle hurling with the intensity and work ethic that is so essential in he modern game - possibly a lesson for some of the younger players within the county there who think that "wristy" hurling is enough in and of itself.

I'm not sure that I'd be as confident as all that, having said all that. As I said in the paper (many among you will by now know why I can't reproduce that here) I think it'll be vital to close down the Portumna backs making clearances - there is a world of difference between Ollie Canning and Eugene McEntee playing 80 yard balls down on top of Kevin Hayes and Joe Canning, or forcing them to snap 40 yard clearances under pressure, meaning they'll drop on top of the midfield pairings where Rory and Barry could do a lot of damage. For that reason alone I expect Birr to use Dwane and Ryan's chasing down to be utilised for large chunks of the game, if not the full 60.

Doffed cap POTH - thoroughly enjoyable reading as always.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Anyone aware if this match can be picked up over the Internet on radio?????
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

midfield
County player

Post by midfield »

Kevin , try the tg4 website - probably a live video stream ( not sure if it will work outside ireland though - copyright etc.) . also http://www.midlandsradio.fm for your live stream with local analysis .Alternatively try http://www.galwaybayfm.ie for the oppostions view!

Good post there POTH. Im hopeful that Birr can do it . They are underdogs going into this , but like the Offaly team of the 90s , this is when they are at their most dangerous. I would be a bit concerned about their fitness however . Hopefully the weather will also keep up and wont be like that storm of 17th March 1995 vs Dunloy.

the weasel
Intermediate

Post by the weasel »

I think birr should start Dwane instead of Paul O Meara. Joe Canning may be carrying a bit of extra weight but he's still as deadly in front of goal as ever, he's probably the best goalscorer in the game at the moment from placed balls and from play. Saying that i still think birr will win by 4.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Many thanks midfield!!!!

COME ON BIRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Good post POTH, very enjoyable read.

Twould be great to see the Birr lads climbing the steps, for all involved with the club.

Hopefully the wind wont spoil the game, but if Birr win by a point in a gale and hail I wont be too upset.

Go on Birr !!!
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Best of luck to Birr on Monday.
I'm looking forward to the day.
A good sessiun in Dublin. Pints, snackboxes, puke etc.

Over the years there has been great support for Birr from other clubs in the county come All Ireland. Many is the person I have come across from other counties who actively cheer against their county representatives. While there might be the odd one in Offaly like that, I think there is much better cross club support in Offaly.

On the match itself, stopping anyone with the surname Hayes would be a bigger concern than just Joe Canning. With Canning's lack of pace, at least it means that various Birr defenders can be switched onto him to see how they cope. However I think Damien Hayes could be a bigger concern. His toughness, aggression and goal scoring prowess might be a game winner for the Galway men.

Looking at the scoring stats for their club campaign shows exactly why:

Portumna Scorers
J Canning.... 1-14 (0-9 frees, 0-1 ’65’)
D Hayes......... 4-2
N Hayes......... 2-6
K Hayes......... 1-4

I have a feeling that Birr's craft might see them through!

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Best of luck to Birr today. Just heading up to Croker now to shout the lugs out!

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

Birr done well to keep it to 10 pts in the end against a vastly superior outfit. A sad way for Sid to leave the scene.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

I'm just in, tired and pissed at that C%*t of a Ref today, there was no need to send Brian off, 10 points down and last puck of the game. Nothing short of a L@£$%r. :evil:
The best team won, no doubt about that. The Birr lads gave everything but that was annoying.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

the tv didn't replay what Sid had done

the open game really didn't suit Birr. Sid was all at sea in last 20 minutes, should have been left on the edge of the square.

thought the ref was ok.

Portumna just had better hurlers around the pakr
only the best...

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

I didn't see the Sid incident but my neighbours in the crowd said that it was an innocuous elbow or push which the Portumna player made a meal of. Sid had been annoyed that the Portumna player didn't cough up the ball for the free kick.

The surface was brilliant for ground hurling and I was surprised how good the Portumna ground strokes were. They were good at everything - ground hurling, point scoring, putting a free colleague through in space, free taking etc. The Birr forwards didn't fire, despite the 3 goals.

I can see Portumna and Ballyhale dominating the club championships for the next several years. It's hard to see the Offaly champions getting past either of those if they are at full strength.