President's Awards

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
True Red
All Star

President's Awards

Post by True Red »

from Hogansh*te.com
Michael Noel Byrne (Offaly) - A player with the Tullamore G.A.A. club with whom he won Minor, Junior and Senior club Championships in the 40’s and 50’s, he spent many years as an intercounty referee and was involved in various capacities with both the club and Offaly County Board. Well known as the Voice of O’Connor Park , Tullamore where he acted as M.C. on match days.
A nice touch to see this lad get recognised.
I can remember been at a match in O'Connor Park a few years ago and the great Michael Noel comes over the PA with his broad Midlands accent to announce to the crowd "Could the young lads below underneath the scoreboard go home and throw the bangers in their own yard"
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Treasurer
All Star

Re: President's Awards

Post by Treasurer »

An absolute gent.

At another match he announced "there will be two minutes of additional time..."

This was followed almost immediately by a player being injured and the treatment carried on for some time, so then came the follow up announcement over the speaker "I said TWO minutes, not TEN"

Phoenix Arms
Junior B

Post by Phoenix Arms »

I remember one night he was doing quiz master for the Scor na nOg in Tullamore.

One of his questions was to complete the following saying "out of the frying pan..................", to which the young girl answered "hopped the sausage". It took a good 60 seconds for Michael Noel to stop laughing and carry on with the quiz.

sparklin
Intermediate

Post by sparklin »

At an u/21 hurling match in Tullamore a couple of years ago Micheal announced that "A.N. Other is coming on the Meath team"!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I remember reading out the teams a few years ago when Offaly were playing Wastemeath.
For Westmeath he would read out Ger Heavin as a deliberately drawn out "Ger Haaaaaayvin"

He then announced that the throw in would be delayed "to accommodate the Westmeath supporters who are still making their way down the Arden Road".

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

At an U-21 championship game vs Louth when Louth made 3 subs at once he came on and said "Number xx coming of Number yy Number zz is coming on for..... ah they're all coming on like rabbits now!"
The night is darkest before the dawn

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:At an U-21 championship game vs Louth when Louth made 3 subs at once he came on and said "Number xx coming of Number yy Number zz is coming on for..... ah they're all coming on like rabbits now!"
I remember that. That was very funny. Was it him or Jody Gunning on Radio 3 that said, 'There is a black mans jacket here in the press box, could the owner please claim it?'. :D
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

The best three I heard from him
Offaly vs. Westmeath in the Championship a few years back, the band just finished the Anthem, tension was rising, enter Michael
"Would he band please hurry up and get off the field, the games about to start"

Another Sunday, a championship game that Offaly weren't involved in but can't remember which. Same thing just before throw in with the tension rising,
"Hold on there Ref for a second. The womens toilets are down ......."

And finally, one that they evn picked up on the Sunday game. Some championship game involving Longford, with about 15 mins to go Longford let in a goal to go 15 pts or more behind
"The exit gates are now open for any Longford supporters"

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Another gem from michael just came back to me.

It was a Division 1 league match a few years ago and the County board draw was after been made at half time and Michael Noel was calling out the the ticket number in his best Offaly vernacular......"could the bearer of ticket number 7658914QZ plase make their way to the stand to pick up their prize"
What made this funnier was the fact that he pronounced the last 2 letters as "que-a-zed" instead Q(ueue) Z.
15 mins into the second half a clearly exasperated michael announced over the tannoy that "if the owner of dat ticket doesnt come over to the press box shortly we will be pullin another ticket........Thank you"

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I remember that one True Red!

I think it was the Offaly v westmeath match in the league, played under the rules that if you got booked you had to get substituted,

Qoh!!

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

About 20/25 years ago the Dubs were O'Connor park for a Leinster Championship match. He read out a message fro a Dub fan who had lost his friend, it went something like this; "Muscles from Dublin your friend razor will meet you at the jacks behind the goals in 5 minuites " It brought a huge laugh from the crowd.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Oceans 15 wrote:About 20/25 years ago the Dubs were O'Connor park for a Leinster Championship match. He read out a message fro a Dub fan who had lost his friend, it went something like this; "Muscles from Dublin your friend razor will meet you at the jacks behind the goals in 5 minuites " It brought a huge laugh from the crowd.
Outstanding!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I may have robbed some of these for the paper this week. It was too hard not too...... :wink:
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Blatant Plagiarism ....i will send my bank details to you via Private msg for my cut

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Very sad day for Offaly GAA today, one of the county's most loyal and well-liked servants passed on.

Condolences to his family and friends, and Rest in Peace Michael Noel.

http://offaly.gaa.ie/offaly-news/pattee ... lnoelbyrne

Offaly County Board Chairman Pat Teehan has paid tribute to the late Michael Noel Byrne of Tullamore who passed away this morning (December 21st). Mr Teehan described Michael Noel as an outstanding man who dedicated his whole life to the Association.
Mr Teehan outlined Michael Noel’s role in Cumann Luthcleas Gael saying he was part and parcel of all GAA activities in The Faithful County for well over 50 years. In his playing days Michael Noel played between the posts and has the rare distinction of winning Senior Football Championship Medals with two clubs, Tullamore and Durrow.

Michael Noel served as Development Officer for Offaly GAA, from 1989 to 2007, during a period when many clubs have carried out massive developments at their grounds. His advice and expertise has proved invaluable to clubs in accessing and securing grants from Leinster and Central Council and other agencies. Indeed part of Michael Noel’s legacy can be seen with the fine dressing rooms, pavilions and stands throughout the county.

His role as development officer has also incorporated registrar and this is a task he has carried out diligently, efficiently and with his customary good humour.

He has been involved in organising the homecomings of all Offaly teams to Tullamore since 1960, and some of the stories emanating from these are the stuff of legend. Michael Noel was Chairman of the 1984 Centenary Committee in Offaly, which organised various events throughout the county and was responsible for producing the Offaly Centenary Publication. For many years he was the voice of behind the “Fogra’s” in his native O’Connor Pk at club and County matchs.

In 1998 he was instrumental in organising the inaugural Sean Gael Awards in Offaly and himself was a very deserved recipient of an Award in 2001. He was also very proud of the fact that he received a Presidents Award from GAA President Nickey Brennan in 2008.

He was one of life’s gentlemen and his passing and he will be greatly missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him. To his wife Kay and extended family goes our deepest sympathy

Michael Noel's reamins will be reposing at his residence (Arden Rd, Tullamore) from 5pm on Wednesday evening until removal on Friday morning at 9.15am to the Church of the Assumption, Tullamore for 10am Requiem Mass. Burial after Mass in Clonminch Cemetery.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.