Offaly vs Wexford - Walsh Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offalys Future
All Star

Offaly vs Wexford - Walsh Cup

Post by Offalys Future »

Have to say writing this i am excited about tomorrows game.
Looking forward to it for a number of reasons.

Its Joe Dooleys first game as managr of Offaly in Tullamore and i hope that a big great croud is there to support him and the team.
I know its only the Walsh Cup but a winning mentality is a good mentality and if Offaly can win tomorrow they would be favourites to win the competition. This would be the first time since 1994 and would give the panel, management and supporters a huge boost ahead of what i feel is a very difficult league group.

Against Down he gave a number of players a chance and Kerrigan and Currams seem to have done well. I hope he sticks with more or less the same team as it's consistency is what they need.
I would have my reservations regarding Ger Oakley centre forward and Joe Brady back on the panel though.

Now is a great opportunity to give these inexperienced players a chance to play a tough intercounty senior game and see how they react.
Dont know much about Wexford but am sure they will be trying out lads also.

Tomorrow isnt about fancy hurling etc, its about getting a win. If Offaly can achieve that i will be delighted. Plenty of time in May/June/July/Aug/Sept for quality hurling.
I predict Offaly by 3 points hopefully.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Bogman
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Wexford - Walsh Cup

Post by Bogman »

Well,Offalys Future, Offaly got the win and there was no fancy hurling so you got your wish.

Offaly 1-12 (15 wides) , Wexford 0-11 (14 wides)

Offaly's gritty, battling display secured the win, helped by the dismissal of Michael Doyle of Wexford after 21 minutes.

Shane O'Connor : Varied the puckouts between driven deliveries and long pucks - was reaching the full forward line in the first half with the latter.

Conor Hernon : Brave and improvised well. The 2 St.Rynaghs lads did well.
Kevin Brady: "Junior" did well at Full Back and the Captaincy seemed to sit well with him. Could be switched to another position later on in the year but let nobody down in this match at No. 3.
David Franks: 1 Wide - Did a lot of clever hurling as spare man.

Diarmuid Horan: Man-of-the-Match contender.
Joe Bergin: 0-1 Free. Long range free at vital stage. Man-of-the-Match contender.
David Kenny: 0-1, 1 Wide. Continued to show his Fetching/Catching ability and his all-round game looks to be improving all the time. All the half backs played well. Scored fine point.

Conor Mahon: Worked hard and did a lot of good things.
Barry Teehan: Neat and tidy in his hurling, worked his legs off until substituted by James Rigney late on.

Shane Dooley; 0-3, 2 wides. Looked off-the-pace at times when contesting possession but often managed to block the clearance even when seemingly just waving his stick at the ball , loads of skill when he got on the ball.
Ger Oakley: 0-1, 4 wides. Got a huge roar for his score, still a cult figure for his all-action style.
Brian Carroll: 0-2, 2 wides. Two vital scores.

Daniel Currams: 1-2, 2 wides. Got the vital goal after a Ger Oakley run and handpass which seemed to be covered by the Wexford defence but it seemed to hop over a Wexford hand, foot or hurl before Currams nudged the ball forward on the ground and buried the sliotar in the net with a close-range ground stroke.
James Gorman: 1 wide - Worked hard, great potential, substituted at half time for Damien Murray.
Francis Kerrigan : 0-2, 1 wide. Two slashing high-velocity points, showed pace and was quick out to low balls, made way for Joe Brady late on.

Damien Murray- 1 wide - Got on the ball a lot when Offaly needed an outlet in the 2nd half.
Joe Brady: Was brought in near the end after the Offaly full forward line had failed to make anything of numerous high balls during the game. Unfortunately the supply dried up after his introduction with only one ball dropping between the full-forward and the full-back.
James Rigney: Won a vital free near the end and scrapped well for ball on the ground.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Good news.

A bunch of newer names in there too.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

I don't think people should underestimate how important this win was yesterday. I know its only January but yesterday 9 players played either for the first time or in new positions for Offaly against a more experienced Wexford team.
Too many times in past we would have lost games like this.

Now next weekend have the opportunity to win Walsh Cup. It will be very tough though and hopefully we can.
I wouldnt read an awful lot into performances etc as it very hard to tell but overall a good team effort.
Tougher challenges lay ahead but its all good for now.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Good result yesterday. Hopefully the momentum is building. A good performance in Casement is important now, because Antrim seem to be on a parallel path asa ourselves at the moment. Missing Dunloy players, getting good wins, etc.

It's surreal to read Offaly's Future being so (relatively) positive. Things must be great altogether :) What price are we to win the All IReland?
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

I am happy at the moment.
The team are playing well. Big challenge on Sunday but one that i hope they can win.

I have to say that i am really worried about the league campaign to be honest. Tipp in first game is as tough as they come.

Loughers
All Star

Post by Loughers »

While I'm happy with the result, I thought from midfield up, we played poorly. The backs were solid, and I think with the pressure of scoring off Joe Bergin, he'll flourish. I heard Rory Hanniffy had a fine game for Birr against Dublin at midfield, because we need something extra there. I thought the forwards were poor. We're really going to suffer in the league without our shooting boots.
Esto Fidelis

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Coming out of O'Connor Park i couldnt get over the negative comments from lads and those comments have now arrived on the board.
This was a great win for Offaly last Sunday. With so many young players on and great enthusiasm shown from the bench. Dont know if any of you noticed but Kelly came onto the pitch to meet Frances Kerrigan when he came off. You might say this is nothing but when in the past has it happened? When have Selectors in the past spoke to players like Kelly did to Franks when he was Offalys spare man? It's called man management and fair play to them.

I could also see in the way the players were playing that they are really enjoying things and long may that continue. Things are on the up, i have been critical in the past but i had my reasons. Dont come on and slate lads when it was obvious that each of them that played last weekend were giving 100% for the Offaly jersey.

Was it a poor performance? No not at all. It was January 27th for chriest sake and we won and each player worked really hard. Would you rather the score be 3-20 to 1-19 and we lose? Well i wouldnt, in the past 5 years we have been unable to win any tough, close games like last Sunday. By winning last weekend if gives the new players a chance to play in a big game. It gives older guys the chance of some success and it gives the management increased confidence to move forward and build for the league and championship.

In regards to Rory Haniffy, big difference between hurling with your club in a practice game and playing with your county in a competitive fixture. He had a terrible year last year and has alot to prove this year. I think he would benefit Offaly more at wing back. If he makes the championship team he knows himself that last years performances wont suffice.
I think he well capable of bouncing back.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Lets not forget that Wexford were down to 14 men after 21 minutes or so!

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

thats wefords fault. Offaly would have been too but Kevin Brady showed great discipline.

mucksavage
Junior C

Post by mucksavage »

I would have to be verry happy with how the lads played on sunday, each and everyone of them gave 100% for the jersey which is more than can be said for previous years. As OF said already I would also be disappointed that Ciaran Slevin is not involved. I think he has alot to offer. Murray is a very good freetaker if they want to keep him on board for that reason solely. Jo Brady has been around long enough and still doesn't offer anything at inter county level.

I really hope they persist with Jo Bergin at centre back, very like John Lee from Galway, class act. Would like to see Rory Hanniffy at full forward with at least one other big man in with him, possibly Derek Molloy . For two long the lads in our full forward line have been small nippy stick men who want the ball put in their hand for them.

Can't see Oakley sticking it out at centre forward, might stop centre back dominating, make a few runs, but as regards scoring and creating chances for those around him....

Does anyone know if Eamon Lee is involved, probably best midfielder in club championship last year. Is Kevin Bermingham involved, a good prospect for corner back?