Where are we going with this?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Where are we going with this?

Post by Lone Shark »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:Saying he is very strong at pulling women in nightclubs the night before games is not.
Do you not think its fair to comment on that if its factual? i.e. you've seen it with your own eyes.
I picked that particular example, for the simple reason that it's the kind of thing that (a) probably has feck all to do with how they perform on the field - though some women should come with a warning label that they are not to be sampled if any kind of physical endeavour is to be undertaken the next day; and (b) it's the kind of thing that grows legs and becomes a 5 person sin-fest by the time five or six people relate it to their neighbour. Also, who's to say players weren't playing away from home, in which case we're causing another needless headache?

I would trust the judgement of most posters on here, but in general I don't think that kind of stuff is helpful. Obviously the line becomes a bit greyer if we're talking about copious amounts of pints instead, but even so I think weighing up the good with the bad, it doesn't do the player or indeed the reputation of the form much good if we're seen to be about peddling rumour. It's judgement call really though. Like I said, I'd trust most people to make the right call.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Blackthorn Man wrote: I know some players do read this and I know of one who was severly ridiculed some months ago over an incident in a club match. The post was totally uncalled for and it had a 'confidence bursting' affect on the young lad which I'm sure we all agree is unacceptable. This U/21 is currently in Australia and who knows maybe it was that post that drove him there or even worst still maybe if he compares life in Aus to playing football in Offaly under constant slating by the 'hurlers on the ditch' he might be another young lad down the road.
On this issue I would make a couple of points. If anyone feels that any posts are unfair, I would strongly recommend that you send a private message to me and user "offaly" as well, and we can have a look at it and decide if it is within the boundaries of acceptability. Even if you're not sure, or think that something is fine but aren't certain, don't ever be shy about doing this. We certainly don't want to make anybody's lives uncomfortable.

As to the issue itself, firstly I would say that I don't recall the incident, but I've no doubt several people will now be scurrying back through posts trying to find it, or thinking of the guy they know who's in Australia, so let me begin by saying that many under 21 players are currently in Australia, so please can everyone stop drawing their own conclusions.

Secondly, we can't mollycoddle too much, in that commenting on a player's play on the field is still fair enough. Personal lives are not, but if a guy has a horrendous display on the field, or misses a sitter from 20 yards to tie a big match, or makes a bonehead tackle to get himself sent off, or gets the runaround from his marker, it can be aired on here and it's not unfair to do so. I would always be a lot gentler with minors and club u-21's, but with county under 21s and adults, these guys have to get used to people commenting on their play, and I would suggest that IF remarks on a bad game for him was what upset your friend, then perhaps a career in intercounty GAA was not the best option for him anyway. Having said all that, off the top of my head I don't know the incident and I'm not going to go rooting around for it, so it may have been something out of order - in which case I go back to point one - tell us about it.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Heeaw! Heeaw! Heeaw! ....

That's supposed to be reflecting a kind of "House of Commons" accent, as opposed to a "Jesse James" accent, if you catch my drift.

Think of those folks on that plane in Heathrow yesterday. It loses all power, just clears the road and fence by about 20 feet, crash-lands on the grass, the wheels break off, it skids up onto the start of the runway as the wings start to break off ... and most of the passengers think it's just been a rather bumpy landing .... until the Oxygen masks pop down. Only then do they realise it's time to "get the flock outta there".

Why did I mention that? Has it any relevance to what we are talking about? I thought it did when I started it; now I'm not so sure. Something along the lines of "Worst things happen at sea .... or at the airport".

No, I'm not drunk. :P
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Share the happy pills please.....
"Sorry for being right so often"

Blackthorn Man
Junior B

Post by Blackthorn Man »

Well folks as you'll see below I've found the post that I spoke about.

***** went down like he was struck by a sniper which was absolutly pathetic to watch, and to think this wimp was on our County panel this year. Its no wonder Offaly football is the way it is.

This will probably ring a bell with some people and I plead with them not to mention his name out of courtesy.With different people having different opinions I trust there will be varying comments posted about this but I stand by my opinion which is that this comment is totally uncalled for. I believe it is unacceptable and believe that we as participants in these debates should not accept it

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I do remember the particular incident being posted up here, and the match report itself.

At the risk of taking sides, the poster in question would not have any allegiance towards one side or another in that particular game so would have no reason for bias, and would certainly take in more than his share of county and club games over the course of the year so is certainly not what one would call a fair-weather-fan who gives out for the sake of it. I was not at the game, but the incident in question was not one where IF IT HAPPENED AS REPORTED that the alleged diver would have had the slightest excuse for doing so. If it did not happen as reported - something I can't say for certain not having been there, but would still consider highly unlikely, knowing the poster as I do - I'm amazed that someone didn't step in to correct the allegation.

Blackthorn, I know you won't want to rehash the whole thing here, and that's fair enough, but if it's true, it's not on and deserves to be highlighted (we are talking about an incident on the field of play here after all - not a private life matter) and if it's not, why would you not have corrected it at the time? Or anyone else who was in attendance for that matter?

Without going into detail, can I just clear up - are you saying it didn't happen, or that it shouldn't have been mentioned?

Blackthorn Man
Junior B

Post by Blackthorn Man »

To paint a clearer picture I am not from this individuals club and don't actually know the chap that well so I've no allegiance to him either. According to him he had been intimidated both physically and verbally throughout the game with the usual non protection of county players from our Offaly referees and when the ball struck him in the face (how hard?,who really knows) it seemed to be a moment of madness and a release of built up frustration that he went down looking for a bit of retribution. So this is where I stand:
1/ I'm totally against players going down easily but we've seen these things happen with younger players and I've no doubt he'll learn from it so to answer your first question then yes it did happen. I didn't comment at the time as I wasn't visiting the site and was told about the post a few weeks later.
2/ My grievance is down to the description of the incident. It could have been dealt with in a more professional manner and oft times this would make a better point than the childish name calling from the comfort of a computer.

Therefore my point is not so much about the incident but more so about the description. I'm sure the chap has learned from the incident as I've no doubt there was probably an uproar in the stand, he was probably embarassed and therefore will never do it again. He would have heard the reaction quiet clearly from the new stand as any player would tell you and this has to be accepted. What's not acceptable in my eyes is the petty name calling from the poster and that has been my point from the outset

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I agree with you in theory to a degree, but in my mind it's a bit harsh when the poster is maybe 10% at fault and the player 90% at fault to say the post was out of order. Perhaps the words could have been chosen better, but there are a lot of people out there who would consider a dive to be as bad as a punch (rightly or wrongly) and I can understand how someone of that thinking would have such a reaction when a player who should have been playing a stellar role for their club (if they were to justify their status as county panellist) was looking to get opponents sent off instead of pulling their own socks up.

The player in question also has one big advantage - regardless of whether or not he plays county football again, and I would assume he will if he is interested enough - he will more than likely be playing in the business end of the championship for his club next year. He has the opportunity to redeem himself by going out and playing good honest football and leading his team to a much craved title - methinks that would be a lot more therapeutic than losing yourself in Australia. Gut feeling is that he'd be in Australia now anyway though I suspect.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I don't see why we can't just post the name and the incident? I don't know who ye are talking about or what they did but if it happened on the field then it’s up for discussion. Especially if he did what is accused. For me diving is one of the 3 things that would make me want to hurt you. The other being spitting and deliberately trying to injure someone.
The night is darkest before the dawn

Blackthorn Man
Junior B

Post by Blackthorn Man »

Lone Shark wrote:Perhaps the words could have been chosen better,
This is just my point although I would say definitely have been chosen better and not "perhaps". I'm sure the lad will grow from it but I stand by my belief that calling a player a wimp from the comfort of a computer is out of order. If that's an acceptable comment then this forum is heading the wrong direction. Now can I ask, where are we going with this?

Blackthorn Man
Junior B

Post by Blackthorn Man »

Ok folks I've just read the Man from Ferbanes comment so I put this to all posters. Do you believe that labeling a player as a wimp on this forum should be tolerated no matter what the circumstances. Forget about how you might feel at a match when adrenalin is pumping or maybe in a pub after a match. Remember at a match only those close to you will hear what you say or shout and likewise in a pub. This is the internet and we all know how many people have access to it. The incident is not for discussion but the language used on the world wide web is.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Calling the player a wimp is out of order. Calling his actions on the field "wimpish" isn't. IMHO
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

At the risk of being one of those parents who thinks that a few bumps and scrapes are no harm to a child, if you ask me where are we going with all this, I'd be inclined to say that if all we ever have to worry about is such a subtle distinction as the above (which sums up my view on it too, incidentally) we won't go too far wrong.