Under 21 Footballers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
OY13
Intermediate

Under 21 Footballers

Post by OY13 »

Any suggestions on the under 21 football team that will start for the championship?? Should have a good team, from what i hear they still have a few off of last years good team?? Would like to hear a few suggestions on the starting team.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Under 21 Footballers

Post by Lone Shark »

They'll have a good few playes from last year's team, but they'll still be missing a lot of the "star" forwards in particular. I'd predict that the back line should be very decent, but beyond Casey and maybe Mulhall up front we might lack a bit of scoring.

A few of the variables would be:

(1) I see Niall Darby captained GMIT - while playing at corner back! Seems an interesting switch, but to be honest we probably need him as the busybody wing forward we've seen in the last few years more than in the corner - I wonder what they're thinking was for that switch?
(2) Is Ross Brady actually training with anyone, and would he even be interested if called upon after everything that went on?
(3) Unless Richie Dalton is moved out of the backs, one would presume the midfield would be some combination of David Larkin, Colin Egan and Rory O'Connor. All with some potential, but on the face of it still very light to be taking on some of the players they're likely to come up against. Interesting viewing though.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

OY13
Intermediate

Post by OY13 »

From chatting some people about who is underage this would be the team i would start for the championship:

1. Dean Bracken
2. Gerry Grehan
3. Richie Dalton
4. Stephen Egan (Anyone know if he is on the panel this year?? If not Sean Pender)
5. John Knight
6. Stephen Lonergan
7. Diarmuid Horan
8. Colin Egan
9. Conor Mahon
10. Niall Darby
11. Ross Brady
12. Nigel Dunne
13. Willie Mulhall
14. Rory Connor (Third midfielder and leave the two lads inside)
15. Ken Casey

Any comments on this team?? Would like to hear other suggestions.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Conor Mahon a bit closer to goal perhaps, maybe centre forward, and I'd say Pender will get started. Of the back line you've named there, Horan would have to step up most on his 2007 form in my opinion, plus let's not forget it's only a matter of time till he sticks to the hurling full time - that could be this year even.

Nigel Dunne to me is a guy who either plays in the full forward line or doesn't play. Can't see him wearing a shirt lower than 13 myself.

OY13
Intermediate

Post by OY13 »

Yes he would probably be better centre forward but you would loose his size in d middle and he was very effective in that position last year.
I also agree that we will loose horan to the hurlers but i still think he will be on the team while he is in on the panel.
You could probably play rory connor on the wing and nigel dunne in the full forward line but i dont think he would be big enough or experienced enough to play full forward, how would casey or mulhall work out full forward??

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

The under-21 team for next year could well be a fruitful harvest

OY13's team is quite good to say the least and seems to have selected the ripest fruit. However the man seeks debate...

Unfortunatly the epicentre of my argument is propped by speculation....
1. However would be interested to know if Alan Lynam, James Gorman and Derek Molloy are underage for this competition?. Followers of club football would recognise that Molloy could certainly fill the physical role of full-forward that has been vacated by his club colleague. A strong, direct, goal-scoring livewire who is comfortable in shooting from distance. Would bring badly needed aggression to this Offaly attack.
Alan Lynam is also a stylish attacker who could definitly make a contribution in some shape or form. And though seeming out of funk last winter, Gorman has immeasurable potential that does not have to be completly blunted by his other code.

2. Would be sceptical to say the least of Ross Brady. Hopefully he surprises me but I fear the crucial role of centre- forward is a task that will prove too taxing. Likewise Knight I think would be more suitable than Lonergan to the number 6 jersey. Whilst both are definite starters I believe Knights superior distribution and experience for this task would be better.

3. Finally a who's who of potential, panellists, maybes and what might have beens... :) (U-Underage)
David O'Neill, Ger Ward, Brian Kelly, Ciaran Flannery :D (St. Ry.), Paul Maloney, Barry Buckley(U?), Jason Ryan, Padraig Duffy(U?), Liam Browne(U?), Garret Hickey(U?)
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Had forgotten about Alan Lynam actually - definitely one that should be involved there somewhere. Possibly even to give Nigel Dunne another year of development?

Molloy and Hickey would both be in contention if fit and interested, but my recollection tells me that they'd be overage by now. Open to correction on that.

There's another one I just thought of - Gerry Treacy, if memory serves, was out injured there for ages. He was a guy I was quietly impressed with a few years ago, any ideas how he's been progressing or if he's kicking a ball at all these days?

OY13
Intermediate

Post by OY13 »

As far as i know James Gorman and Derek Molloy have opted to play hurling only this year so that rules them out. Alan Lynam didnt go in to the setup this year, for what reason i dont know and Garret Hickey is over age this year.

To Silken Thomas David O' Neill and Brian Kelly are the only 2 of your list that are on the panel this year, the others are either over age or were dropped. I agree wit you that Knight and Lonergan could switch positions easily.
They seem to have a strong enough team, possibly one of offaly footballs best chance of a leinster??

Gerry Tracey is still playing football, i think it was the older brother who had the injury. Gerry was on the senior panel at the start of the year but got dropped off it and has been with the under 21s ever since.

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

James Gorman and Derek Molloy are seismic losses to Offaly football and especially the counties hopes of ascertaining a Leinster football crown. What a pity.....
To lose two players in excess of six foot one in heighth with abrasiveness, strength and no little skill is a huge and perhaps fatal blow.
Anyone who watched last years Leinster final of the same grade will acknowledge that our vertically challenged half forward line were swallowed up by Laois' larger opponents especially in that opening twenty minutes.

Gerry Treacy is an absolute dinger with a sweet left foot. Will surely make the magical twenty if he applies himself. His development was perhaps stunted by by playing Junior A football and division 3 league (or worse) with his club Cappincur.

The likes of Ken Casey, Gerry Treacy, Alan Lynam, Niall Darby and Willie Mulhall are all small men and like their senior counterparts we do not have the midfield to compensate.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Gorman is a disappointing loss, if for no reason other than I think he's a lot closer to being the finished product in football than he is in hurling. Kilcormac being Kilcormac he was always likely to go that way, but it is a loss - though I wouldn't consider him mobile enough to be a half forward either. Molloy was never likely to happen, being realistic. He's a hurling man now, and best of luck to him.

I'd have no doubt that management will be well aware of this size issue, which is why Mahon and Connor could easily end playing nominally at least in the forward line, while I still wouldn't rule out David Larkin mucking in alongside Colin Egan in midfield. I'm not saying I'd pick him myself, he's more a spoiler than a good player, but he could look after Colin in a way that somebody like Mahon or Connor wouldn't as they'd be playing their own game, so to speak.

There's certainly no way that full quintet named above will line out. Here's a thought though - Niall Darby to wing back, with Lonergan up into the forwards?

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

Two interesting observations.

As you know Colin Egan could be a real find. I have felt though that he needs to display the necessary aggression and ignorance needed for the midfield area.
Without being uncouth David Larkin could provide this :D . Uncomfortable on the ball and lacking in finesse he may be but relishes the physical stuff and as you seem to allude to could be the new kid on the blocks bodyguard 8) :!:

Niall Darby will play a roll somewhere in the middle eight and a wing back could be ideal. Lonergan is a tidy footballer and Mahon will be a certainty but who are they gonna start in the No. 11 shirt? We are painfully short.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

It's not a perfect fit by any means, but if I had to pick the team tonight Mahon would get the nod in there. Lonergan one side, Lynam the other, giving a mix of defensive covering and pace from deep. None of the three would let the ball out too easy, but as well you're player with the greatest susceptibility to leaving his man run (Mahon) would be paired up with the opponent least inclined to make forays forward giving an extra man.

Brian Kelly is the wild card. From looking like the best prospect of his age group at 15 (granted I was seeing him every second week due to the constant Ferbane/Belmont vs Tubber/Ballycumber matches) he hasn't really progressed at the same rate as some others of that vintage. It can happen, some lads struggle to get used to their adult frame, but he showed some flashes of ability last summer for Tubber. He'd need to learn to protect possession a lot more, as well as measure his runs (rather than take off like a Tasmanian Devil every time he gets the ball) but he could create real damage from the half forward line too if he learned to harness his skills and natural attributes a bit better.

To my mind last year's good under 21 run was built on two things - a great performance from the full back line and goalie to keep the goals out, and some excellent and incisive running from half forward, mainly through Sean Ryan and Thomas Coughlan. Personnel may have changed but the system could still work.