http://www.ofonebelief.org/home/

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Biffo Army
Intermediate

http://www.ofonebelief.org/home/

Post by Biffo Army »

Independent.ie
Road to destruction
Mark Conway is a GAA volunteer from Tyrone. He's a trustee of this club, Kildress; was a member of the GAA's Strategic Review Committee; and currently sits on the GAA's National Audit Committee. Here, he explains why he vehemently opposes the new grants for county players

LAST week the first, irrevocable step on the road to destruction was dangled in front of the GAA. That step was the pay-for-play arrangements "agreed" between some GAA people; the GPA; the Irish Sports Council; and the Irish Government. 'Destruction' is a strong, prescriptive word. So let's look at what we're at risk of destroying.

The GAA is totally unique on this planet. It has two driving forces. First, it's about place ... about where you're from; who you are; your community; and its place in the world. Second, it's about "we" ... people working voluntarily for some greater good; for a value; an ethos; for something that's worthwhile; for community betterment. A recent ESRI report tells us that 43pc of all volunteering in Ireland is delivered by the GAA. Clearly there is something quite brilliant; unique; and totally precious about the GAA dynamic.

Governments, our own included, stumble around trying to energise those two concepts. As Ireland increasingly comes apart at the social seams, we crave neighbourhood renewal ... community development ... community cohesion ... social capital ... and regeneration. Government invests hugely in trying, and largely failing, to create these things and scratches around for disappearing strengths such as citizenship.

All the while, for 123 years now, we've had something that's delivered these in spades, quietly; unassumingly; but unbelievably effectively. That thing is the GAA. Yet, crazily, people now want to deconstruct it. Many of us will oppose the deconstruction of this prize-of-prizes that's made an immeasurable contribution to Irish life. Because, anachronistic as it might be at the end of 2007, we actually believe in those things. And we find it bizarre that less than 1pc of our membership should be allowed to undermine the core principles of over a century.

Why is it that the GAA has become what it is? How come two global professional sports -- soccer and rugby -- between them couldn't develop even a small fit-for-purpose stadium in Ireland? How come what we're told is the global football game -- soccer -- attracted under 10,000 people to a borrowed show-jumping arena for its showpiece game last weekend? When the GAA attracted over 10,000 to the recent "Railway Cup,'' people said that was proof it was dead on its feet but hadn't the wit to lie down. And how come, across all the professional "sports" -- trawl through them at will, boxing, soccer, motor-racing, cricket, athletics, cycling, horse-racing, show-jumping, swimming and so on -- we can no longer believe what we see in front of us?

Equally, how come that despite their mind-boggling financial power, none of them even attempts to deliver what the GAA does? The reason stares us in the face. It's the one key difference between them and us: they pay and we don't. Money corrupts, distracts, shifts the focus, demolishes "place", attacks the value system, fosters greed, replaces "we" with "me." Once you pay people to play sport, then whatever else you've got, it isn't sport.

That's why many GAA people were astounded by the virtual fait accompli presented last Thursday. Senior inter-county GAA players to be given money because they're senior inter-county players. Where did our Rule 11 go in all this? The GAA, despite all the "guarantees" we heard to the contrary, to be the "payers-out" of the money. But, because it's now called an "award" (the word "grant" seems to be out of the frame) we're assured we've "copper-fastened" our amateur status. That really is the spin of spins.

What will be the outcome? Well, it is now clearly in players' financial interests to hook up with a strong, successful county. Soccer's "Bosman" proves we won't have a legal leg to stand on if we try to stop that. "Place" as a GAA driver will be gone. And it's in players' financial interests to be "county-only'' at the expense of the club, at a time when there's constant breast-beating about the need to focus on the club. The most serious blow ever to GAA club playing activity has just been landed.

A clear parallel inference is that only the county player, but no one else in the Association, is reckoned to make an "outstanding contribution." There's absolutely no acknowledgement of the countless thousands who, week-in, week-out, keep the magnificence that's the GAA alive and well. It's ironic that the GAA is actually rolling out a programme at the moment called "Valuing Volunteers."

Last Thursday makes it very clear who's valued and who's not. And it strikes fatally at the whole brilliant balance that has made the GAA what it is. Look at what's happened to volunteerism in any of the professional games. It wasn't valued and it walked. Society pays several prices as a result. It's also deigned that voluntary county committee people will manage the new pay-for-play process. They'll carry the very significant associated legal risks and liabilities, plus the flak over who's in and who's out of panels. What about backroom teams? Are they out with the rest of us ... or will counties be black-guarded into paying them too? There's a lot of twisted, unethical thinking here. Pay an elite but let the volunteers provide all the support needed and carry all the cans involved. Meanwhile, not a single county committee, nor any other GAA unit, has been consulted on any of this.

It's insulting and seriously out of order to use words like "sacrifice" when talking about county players' input. Have we lost the total run of ourselves in terms of what that word really means? Many people did make real sacrifices for the GAA, sacrifices that were a bit more serious.

Many more non-GAA people continue to make real sacrifices on a daily basis right across Ireland. And has "Ireland PLC" really reached the point where, when we can't diagnose women with cancer, we will put €3.5m into the pockets of GAA players who, after all, are players solely because they choose to be players and because volunteers willingly resourced their choice? We're told this is all about respect: it's obviously now spelled r€sp€ct.

Returning to the pay-for-play soccer last Sunday, I believe in the lead-up some players threatened to strike. Sound familiar? I don't know their response. But I do know ours in similar circumstances: total; unashamed; and embarrassing capitulation.

The meeting tonight in The Elk in Toome, Co Antrim is about seeing what the grass-roots feel. If, at the end of this, the view put forward here loses, then so be it. We'll know the GAA we were reared with; which reared us; and which we tried to leave in better shape than we found it, is gone.

The GAA, and those who made and maintain it, deserve better. So do Ireland and its people. To use an old Tyrone phrase, this €3.5m will be "dear bought."

Don't let it happen. If you can, come to The Elk tonight. Or, over the next few days, visit a web-site called http://www.ofonebelief.org

Bí linn is cuidigh linn!

-
What do ye make of this craic guys?
The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Re: http://www.ofonebelief.org/home/

Post by DD »

All this breast beating gets on my wick at times. Most "volunteers" as he has been labelled think nothing of their clubs and counties paying quite substantially for team managers, coaches and fitness experts etc but any mention of payment (of any means) for players is met with condemnation. It's the double standards that really annoy me..

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

DD wrote:All this breast beating gets on my wick at times. Most "volunteers" as he has been labelled think nothing of their clubs and counties paying quite substantially for team managers, coaches and fitness experts etc but any mention of payment (of any means) for players is met with condemnation. It's the double standards that really annoy me..
Fair point about the managers\selectors but fitness trainers, physios, doctors etc... have all done considerable training most probably at their own expense to get their qualifications. I don't really have a problem with them getting paid.
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't think anyone has a problem with doctors etc. being paid - these people are being paid to be on hand to make sure that players are treated quickly and correctly for anything which comes up, so I do think it disingenuous that the GPA turn around and use it as an argument why they should be paid also.

The paid managers is a cancer that needs to be surgically removed - I've always believed this. A mate of mine from South Armagh was talking to me recently about their own junior club, and how they've never even won a junior club before but the players are demanding an outside manager. They clubs total turnover last year was £35k give or take - but any manager would cost £10k for himself and £10k for other auxhiliary people. The treasurer has basically just been told to "find" this money. Now if we don't look at this as a serious issue that needs to be dealt with immediately we are creating huge problems, problems just as extensive as from paying the players. I also believe that many people don't realise how deep-rooted this problem is - and that volunteers would be just as animated about it if they knew how bad it was.

I don't think it's a fair observation to say that there is a double standard and that supporters don't care about the manager payments. Supporters just don't know about them.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

DD
All Star

Post by DD »

Lone Shark wrote:I don't think anyone has a problem with doctors etc. being paid - these people are being paid to be on hand to make sure that players are treated quickly and correctly for anything which comes up, so I do think it disingenuous that the GPA turn around and use it as an argument why they should be paid also.

The paid managers is a cancer that needs to be surgically removed - I've always believed this. A mate of mine from South Armagh was talking to me recently about their own junior club, and how they've never even won a junior club before but the players are demanding an outside manager. They clubs total turnover last year was £35k give or take - but any manager would cost £10k for himself and £10k for other auxhiliary people. The treasurer has basically just been told to "find" this money. Now if we don't look at this as a serious issue that needs to be dealt with immediately we are creating huge problems, problems just as extensive as from paying the players. I also believe that many people don't realise how deep-rooted this problem is - and that volunteers would be just as animated about it if they knew how bad it was.

I don't think it's a fair observation to say that there is a double standard and that supporters don't care about the manager payments. Supporters just don't know about them.
LS, I don't know if you're being naive or your taking the piss but there is no way the majority of supporters don't know about payments made to managers and trainers. In fact I would say the majority don't care about it as long there is success at the end of it and they turn a blind eye to as a result.
Beacause the players issue is visible it's easy for people to jump up and down about it. It's a clear double standard.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

DD wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:I don't think anyone has a problem with doctors etc. being paid - these people are being paid to be on hand to make sure that players are treated quickly and correctly for anything which comes up, so I do think it disingenuous that the GPA turn around and use it as an argument why they should be paid also.

LS, I don't know if you're being naive or your taking the piss but there is no way the majority of supporters don't know about payments made to managers and trainers. In fact I would say the majority don't care about it as long there is success at the end of it and they turn a blind eye to as a result.
Beacause the players issue is visible it's easy for people to jump up and down about it. It's a clear double standard.

There's no extracting the urine involved, I can assure you. It all depends on the question - if you ask supporters "Do GAA managers get paid under the table?" 99% of respondents will say yes. On the other hand if I was to ask you the the question: "Are there junior clubs in Ireland who are forced to pay 40% of their annual expenditure if they want any manager from outside the club?" or "Do you believe there are GAA intercounty managers out there getting six figure sums for their current posts?" the answers would have a lot more nos in there.

People are aware it exists, but outside of presuming the known mercenaries getting a few bob from sponsors, they don't realise how extensive it is and how damaging it is. When it's preceived to be the sponsors paying the money, supporters don't care because it's always some local businessman who "has plenty anyway". If on the other hand they realised clubs and counties alike are being bled dry by these interlopers the attitude would be very different.

Which i suppose is a reflection of the GPA too - their PR has raised heckles at every turn, managers have just created this culture and avoided every obstacle on the way.

mykneehurts
County player

Post by mykneehurts »

This is going to be my only comment on this subject.

There comes a time in every sport where amateurism dies and the first steps towards professionalism are taken. It has happened in any sport you care to mention and I am sure it is always greeted with the same arguements that are being put forward against the current scheme. My only opinion on this is that if a sport which is as economically viable as the G.A.A. cannot even consider paying their players then there is something fundamentally wrong.

There are three types of people in Croke Park on match day. Those who pay (and the option to stay at home and not attend is always there remember), those who get paid, and the players.

Very few sports ever really suffer as they move towards professionalism and I think it is about time we simply accepted the fact that the association we all love is moving forward.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

mykneehurts wrote:Very few sports ever really suffer as they move towards professionalism and I think it is about time we simply accepted the fact that the association we all love is moving forward.
I would cite club rugby in this argument.

We are the association, MKH. And we obviously don't want to change, you might call it moving forward but I call it change that I don't want and, from the majority of the comments here, most people don't want.

This is a change that drastically affects the association that we are all apart of. Therefore it should have been put to a vote in the "grass routes" (those sweet words that the GAA loves to bandy about but are actively doing nothing to protect). If this went to a vote of all the members and passed I wouldn't be happy but I'd live with it.

But I don't think it would, the GPA doesn't think it would and the GAA don't think it would and thats why it didn't. This is minority rule and the majority with no rights.

Its a disgrace and I'm not happy.

If those elite players want to go off and form their own association then best of luck to them but this is our association, my association and I won't let the GPA rob it from me!!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

mykneehurts wrote:This is going to be my only comment on this subject.
It's a bit difficult to enter into debate on that basis, but anyway....

Those who like to point out that professionalism happens everywhere invariably highlight global sports, where there is a global market. Gaelic Football and Hurling is not by any definition a global sport - ultimately the only market for it is Ireland and Irish emigrants. A 32 county professional game is utterly unsustainable on that basis, so unless we are happy with only five or six teams in each code, we have to fight this at every turn. That is just as much the inevitable product of "moving forward" as professionalism is.

As for determining whether or not sports suffer, well that really depends on where you want your sport to go. Ironically if your aim is along the lines of the original celebration of amateur sport - the olympics - and is "citius, altius, fortius", then of course professionalism is the way forward. If on the other hand your goal is community participation and involvement and the social and physical betterment of all of your members, then it really isn't.

It is blatantly incorrect to say that there aren't indigenous sports where amateurism has been maintained by the way.

DD
All Star

Post by DD »

Lone Shark wrote:
Those who like to point out that professionalism happens everywhere invariably highlight global sports, where there is a global market. Gaelic Football and Hurling is not by any definition a global sport - ultimately the only market for it is Ireland and Irish emigrants. A 32 county professional game is utterly unsustainable on that basis, so unless we are happy with only five or six teams in each code, we have to fight this at every turn. That is just as much the inevitable product of "moving forward" as professionalism is.

As for determining whether or not sports suffer, well that really depends on where you want your sport to go. Ironically if your aim is along the lines of the original celebration of amateur sport - the olympics - and is "citius, altius, fortius", then of course professionalism is the way forward. If on the other hand your goal is community participation and involvement and the social and physical betterment of all of your members, then it really isn't.

It is blatantly incorrect to say that there aren't indigenous sports where amateurism has been maintained by the way.
I agree with most of your points as regards the damage that could potentially be done to our games by a move to professionalism or even semi proffesional status - there is definitely no way that an all Ireland Inter county Championship could be sustained however the impact to the club scene is harder to guage. It could be possible for the clubs to survive and thrive outside of a future professional inter county or perhaps even a "super club" type game. It's not somewhere I'd like to see our games going but I do have some feeling of inevitability that is where we are heading.
The GAA only have themselves to blame though, as soon as it became the norm to pay managers and coaches of teams (under the radar or not), there was always the likleyhood that players would want their cut. Even now the combined grant scheme for a panel of county players would be less than some inter county managers are raking in on their own. I've never heard of any petitions or meetings being called to highlight this issue despite all the money that pours out of clubs and county boards to finance these people.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

DD wrote: It's not somewhere I'd like to see our games going but I do have some feeling of inevitability that is where we are heading.
If you don't like it then use your vote in your club to stop it. There is alot of things I dislike about the GAA and more things that I love about it but somthing as important as this should not be just let go because its "inevitable".

DD
All Star

Post by DD »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:
If you don't like it then use your vote in your club to stop it. There is alot of things I dislike about the GAA and more things that I love about it but somthing as important as this should not be just let go because its "inevitable".

I'm not advocating letting anything go but I cannot buy into all this opposition to the players getting compensated by a controlled grant system when there is no resistance shown to paying managers and coaches. We're basically saying it's ok for that to continue but over our dead bodies for a player to get anything out of it. How can that be right?

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

I have probably been on the sidelines too long however an issue as important as this current scandal has forced me from exile.

As an ordinary member of Cumann Luthchleas Gael (as I like to call myself). I'm 100% behind the "ofonebelief" campaign. I believe that these members are correct in their stance and I wish it be seen for what it is. I have no doubt that the Southern West Brit media will chalk it down to the usual Ulster says NO attitude, and this is why I believe we all should support this effort. I personally have got to the stage that the sight of Dessie Farrell on TV, consistently moaning, has me "tangled up in blue- RAGE!"

This is a very simple issue, Rial 11 is being breached.

11 Amateur Status
The Association is an Amateur Association. A player, team, official or member shall not accept payment in cash or in kind in conjunction with the playing of Gaelic Games. A player, team, official or member shall not contract himself/itself to any agent other than those officially approved by Central Council. Expenses paid to all officials, players, and members shall not exceed the standard rates laid down by the Central Council. Members of the Association may not participate in full-time training. This rule shall not prohibit the payment of salaries or wages to employees of the Association.
Penalty: Twenty four weeks suspension or expulsion.

Obliviously the first issue to be fired back is the managers get payments under the table...........that is an issue that may be in certain cases be in breach of Rial 11 also, however it must be dealt with separately and not confused with the issue at hand.

Essentially GPA should not exist if Rial 20 was fully invoked

20 Allegiance
Clubs and Counties shall insist that the first allegiance of their members is to the Association and its Games, and may impose disciplinary measures for breaches of this
Rule.

If the Government wants to Grant more monies from the public exchequer towards the GAA let it be in the form of development grants that will benefit every member.

If the elitist GPA look at America and the current screenwriters strike, they will see that the superstar actors can also be held to ransom by the grassroots, behind the scenes workers! Without the work put in by the screenwriters they have no acting to do.

if volunteerism begins to crumble in the GAA it will begin at the Clubs and work its way up, we will have no major games in a few years......won't that be a big price to pay Dessie!

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

DD wrote:...I cannot buy into all this opposition to the players getting compensated by a controlled grant system when there is no resistance shown to paying managers and coaches. We're basically saying it's ok for that to continue but over our dead bodies for a player to get anything out of it. How can that be right?
You are right, we were wrong to let this go, it was a mistake on our part not to stop this. But we can't let previous mistakes change our argument for now.

Proper and full expenses for all, any and all training gear required by the players, meals after sessions, gym membership, any special nutritional supplements, the best medical treatment and full payment on loss of earnings DUE TO INJURY.

These are a lot of benefits and I 100% agree with the players getting them, in fact its a lot of the GAA's own doing that we are in this situation, by not giving these in the past they created an us against them attitude.

But the day you hand over cash, in any shape or form to a player for the PRIVALAGE of representing his county that is the step too far. The players are elite but they are not special. It is our association. All of ours, equally.

DD
All Star

Post by DD »

To me some of the whinging going on, all be it on a differnet scale is akin to someone who volunteers to help out at say somewhere like Tullamore Harriers and then has an issue with James Nolan getting a sports grant. There seems to me more people caught up in their own self importance rather just the good of the GAA. A lot of the shite being spouted seems to stem from deep down resentment to players getting compensated while they are not.
Why if someone is a willing volunteer would they give it all up because a player gets a grant? I thought they were doing it all along for the love of the games/club/county.