Offaly Club Football

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Silken Thomas
All Star

Offaly Club Football

Post by Silken Thomas »

Salutations to the Nations!

Long time reader, first time poster.

For what it is worth here is my summary of the 2007 Senior football championship and guide to the 2008 championship season. Genuinely not trying to stir animosity and please take perceived sleights with a pinch of salt and a drop of common sense. Again this is an opinion, not the gospel according to St. Thomas! Enjoy!

Rhode:

2007 Summary: Beaten by a hungrier and sharper Shamrocks team in the championship semi-final thus losing their twenty game unbeaten streak stretching back to the 2003 decider.

Realistic Goals: Championship winners

Key Man: Niall McNamee- I'm Jealous

Main Strengths: Quality all over the park, physical strength, commited clubmen

Main Weakness: Eh… perhaps an over-reliance on Niall McNamee and the worrying loss of form of his brother

Sportsperson analogy: Michael Schumacher- Highly successful if a little unpopular!, pursuing perfection

Tullamore:

2007 Summary: Quietly accounted for all opposition before saving a virtuoso second half performance to annex their third championship this millennium

Key Man: Cathal Daly- Manned the centre back berth with suffocating authority

Main Strengths: Pace, Strength in depth, exciting young players

Main Weakness: Question marks over their full back line and midfield options

Sportsperson analogy: Derval O’ Rourke- Hard training paid off. Maximising their ability. Came from nowhere to defeat favourites!

Shamrocks:

2007 Summary: Seemed to have finally gained admission to the promised land until capitulating horribly in the second half of the 2007 decider

Realistic Goals: At best championship finalists

Key Man: Neville Coughlan- Athletic, imposing with no little skill will have to wait at least ten months for a shot at that elusive county medal

Main Strengths: A balanced outfit

Main Weakness: Mental fragility

Sportsperson analogy: Pádraig Harrington- Highly competitive but far too fond in finishing second!

Clara:

2007 Summary: Edged out in a niggly semi-final against Tullamore. Could genuinely claim to have left the last two county titles behind them

Key Man: Scott Brady- A battle hardened and imposing ball winner whose work rate stands out at club level

Main Strengths: Quality inside forwards

Main Weakness: Lightweight half forward line

Sportsperson analogy: Rafael Nadal- Exotic and self-confident. Tends to give too much time to physical appearance!. Unable to match main rival in last couple of years.

Gracefield:

2007 Summary: Out- gunned by the eventual winners in O’ Connor Park and will perhaps look back on the year with a rueful glance considering their promising early form

Realistic Goals: Semi-Finalists

Key Man: Niall Smith- Though over shadowed by his more skilful county colleague, seems to be the oasis in Offaly’s midfield desert

Main Strengths: Slattery brothers

Main Weakness: No real side-kick to the strange genius of John O’ Neil, height in the backline

Sportsperson analogy: Katie Taylor- Tough, hard-hitting. Seems to be at their best

Tubber:

2007 Summary: Promising debut year highlighted by their dismantling of Ferbane. Outclassed by Rhode in the quarter-final by six points

Realistic Goals: Avoid a relegation joust

Key Man: Ciarán McManus- Continues to mix the sublime with the ridiculous. However nobody could question his undoubted commitment

Main Strengths: Youthful endeavour and fearlessness

Main Weakness: No quality replacements, little experience

Sportsperson analogy: Peter Stringer- Heart is in the right place but grossly over valued could be replaced this time next year! (Doon!!)

Ferbane:

2007 Summary: After a more than charitable draw they were out manoeuvred by a hungry Tubber side

Realistic Goals: Knock out football

Key Man: Aidan Keenaghan- With the ace that is James Grennan ageing, Keenaghan will be their trump card in the middle eight. Fast, strong, determined and dogged.

Main Strengths: Tradition, a renewal of their underage fortunes

Main Weakness: Perhaps a bloated sense of self-worth

Sportsperson analogy: Frankie Dettori- Great success in the past but relatively quiet recently!

Ballycumber:

2007 Summary: Narrowly avoided a relegation battle by drawing with St. Brigids in the group of death. Again lady luck deserted them throughout the campaign

Key Man: Karl Daly(shock, horror)- Wild, athletic, free-spirit who brings stability to the Ballycumber backline

Main Strengths: A good balanced unit

Main Weakness: Genuine lack of midfield options

If they were another sportsperson: Ken Doherty- Consistently competitive but still overshadowed by that lone major success that seems like ages ago!

Erin Rovers:

2007 Summary: A draw against Shannonbridge protected their Senior status before being taken apart in Division 2 league final by a coming Walsh Island select

Realistic Goals: Avoid becoming a relegation contender

Key Man: Richard Fox- An out and out defensive presence who ticks all the boxes. Certainly an option for the Faithful’s half back line- Pat Roe wake up!

Main Strengths: A siege mentality, pacey forwards

Main Weakness: Small player base, physical stature

Sportsperson analogy: Lee Bowyer- Temperamental, vicious and aggressive but lacking in genuine class!

Shannonbridge:

2007 Summary: Narrowly avoided relegation for the third year running but showed some signs of improvement

Key Man: Jason Kelly- Dominates club midfield match ups with aplomb. No commitment dictates he will probably not be an option for Pat Roe and Co.

Main Strengths: Impressive midfield diamond and free taker

Main Weakness: Power in the backline, scoring forwards

Sportsperson analogy: Paul Galvin- Much-maligned and battling. Controversial and not lacking physical strength. Irritating!

Edenderry:

2007 Summary: Regained senior status after the 2006 wake up call with some impressive intermediate performances

Key Man: John Hurst- One of five or six key men that could be named. Intelligent defensive lynchpin that seems to be thirty seconds ahead of everyone else

Main Strengths: Have really got their act together across the board and look set to start the 2008 season with all the heroes of yesteryear

Main Weakness: Despite my optimism the senior championship is a step-up from Intermediate

Sportsperson analogy: Cian O’ Connor- Relieved of success rather unjustly in the boardroom that must have been annoying! Talented, has come back fighting

St. Rynaghs:

2007 Summary: Surprisingly condemned St. Brigids to Intermediate football after being clipped by Shannonbridge in previous game

Realistic Goals: Senior survival

Key Man: Ger Rafferty- Passionate, resourceful hard man who leads from the front

Main Strengths: When all players are available could challenge one of the big guns

Main Weakness: Skill levels, competition with hurling, disinterest

Sportsperson analogy: André the giant- Strong, slow, seemingly disinterested, capable of more and lacking in finesse and skill!!
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

turk
All Star

Re: Offaly Club Football

Post by turk »

Welcome to the forum Silken Thomas!

A superb first post!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Good man Silken Thomas!
Any takers for alternative Sportsperson analogies? :D

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

Thanks for the welcome :)

Seriously needs a bit of an editing in patches I might add :oops:

As for the sporting analogies, i restricted myself to a different sport per team ie tennis, rugby, showjumping (not a huge fan myself mind) etc. you get the drift......

Never thought of it until BNMM alluded to it but sporting analogies could be an exquisite topic to while away the dark winter nights..... :D

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Excellent. Here's a man with his eye on club football.

Pseudonym confuses me though :?:
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

I think I can understand your confusion….

As it would be rude not to indulge your inquisitive streak…..

Silken Thomas was, amongst other things, a young, rebellious aristocrat with anti- English sentiments who would have eventually inherited land all over Leinster and especially the pale. Received the nickname Silken for his followers fine taste in clothes which included Silken wigs. Was also known as……

Lord Offaly! :D

Sums me up perfectly!

Magpie appreciate the praise but would like to hear your thoughts, criticisms and opinions on the topic. Likewise the other football godfathers have been Mafiosi style quiet. Attention True Red, Lone Shark, Archangel, BNMM, Turk, TMFF, B&RE, NMER, FFCH and other footballing Dons… it will be our Cosa Nostra!

The Lone Shark is probably busy enforcing and orchestrating his Gambling racket
:D

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Jesus I'm more thug than Godfather!! Welcome to the forum anyway.

Couldn't argue with your review, we left a great oppertunity behind us in O'Conner park, 8 points up with 20 minutes to go and we thought we had them beat. To their credit they didn't give up and once they got a run on us we couldn't stop them. We weren't the first team that that's happened to and we won't be the last but its a very sour taste to have with you all through the winter let me tell you.

The new manager was appointed last week, Liam Cullinane, he guided the U21s this year to the county final and has a great way with players so hopefully we can get things moving in the right direction.

As for the other clubs, I think the obvious ones of Shamrocks, Rhode and Tullamore stand out but I believe, and I know LS doesn't agree with me on this, that one of any 4 or 5 other teams could realistically have a chance of winning.
The night is darkest before the dawn

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Good man Silken Thomas. Welcome to the hallowed cyber-halls of Uibhfhaili.com
Nice little review there.

As regards ourselves, Edenderry GAA isnt a bad place to be at the moment. After the "blip" of 2006 we regained our Senior status after negotiating the minefield of Intermediate football.

We had an ok run in the intermediate Leinster club c'ship which will stand us in good stead for the coming year. Also a number of young lads were blooded this year to give them a taste of adult football. Our minor team waltzed through their championship(apart from the semi against Shamrocks) with an exceptional side a number of whom are underage again next year. All this augurs well for the future of football in the town.

Regarding our prospects for next year, we will approach the Senior championship with vigour.

And as always, we will fear no one.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

That definitely has to go down as the most impressive debut posts I've seen - doffed cap to you sir!!

Couldn't argue with rankings too much, and MFF, rest assured I'm well aware that several teams can win. The bookmaker in me will always dwell in the land of the most likely scenario, but ye wouldn't be the first 20/1 shot to win a county title if ye did do it. In terms of controversy though, I'd say Shamrocks could feel a little aggrieved by your assessment of their potential. To say that the best they could hope for is finalists when they managed that two of the last three years is a bit harsh. I'll be the first to agree that the manner of this year's defeat will hit them fairly hard, but they can have no doubts in their minds about whether or not they are good enough. Likewise Paul Galvin mightn't thank you for being compared with the Bridge (:P ) but I'm guessing he doesn't read this site too often!

As for this....
Silken Thomas wrote:Sportsperson analogy: Lee Bowyer- Temperamental, vicious and aggressive but lacking in genuine class!
I'll look forward to Rovers drawing Edenderry in the first round next year. I'm sure Mighty Pair O'Hands will happily pass on your thoughts to the lads.... :D
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

ST - I'm more confused by your pseudonym than intruiged, but thanks for the little bit of history :D

I always would've associated Silken Thomas with Kildare, particularly Maynooth. The Offaly link is new to me. When I saw the name, I was guessing you were somewhere outside Edenderry with strong Kildare ties. Now I'm thinking you could just be a guy named Tom who dresses smart 8)

As for my opinions, a very quick summary here:

Rhode - Agree with pretty much everything you've said. Will return with renewed enthusiasm in 2008. Need a plan B.

Tullamore - Over-achieved in 2007. Winning another championship is not realistic.

Shamrocks - Will still believe they can win a Championship, until they reach a county final.

Clara - Where do I start? Nadal is a good analogy. Perhaps David Ginola is more accurate. Plenty of ability, minimal application.

Gracefield - I expected them to beat Tullamore. I think they would on any given day. Could certainly have made a County Final this year.

Tubber - Agree entirely. Can't get too confident or they'll fall through the trap-door.

Ferbane - Should've played knock-out football this year. The draw will have to be kind to them to have any chance of playing knock-out football next year.

Ballycumber - Bad year all round. Must be a sour taste in the mouth here after the Tullamore game. Will continue to compete gamely at this level.

Erin Rovers - Always seem to have a surprise in store for somebody, but not enough quality to challenge the super-powers.

The Bridge - Has Harry Redknapp been the manager there for the past couple of years? How do they continue to avoid relegation? Houdini escapes are becoming an annual event :D

Edenderry - Bounced back in great fashion and saw a family of prodigal sons return. If the interest levels remain, they'll be no push-over.

St. Rynaghs - A bit of a mystery. Difficult to know what face we'll see in 2008.

What is very interesting is the fact that over the past two seasons/years a reasonably strong Senior team has been relegated. Who would've said that Brigids, having played to within 2 points of Rhode in a tight County Semi-Final, would be relegated one-year later? I know both Edenderry and Brigids had certain things going against them at times, but what it suggests is that no team outside the top 4-5 is safe from the drop in 2008.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

You honour me with your calculated observations. :)

Words are open to interpretation.
Upon re-reading my review (The Ego has landed!) perhaps I was almost overly complimentary to the Edenderry garrison.

I can assure however Lone Shark that I have no affinity to this East Offaly brigade.
Without being annoyingly mysterious I would flee these ‘hallowed cyber-halls’ (nice!) if my allegiance was to be discussed, let alone my idendity to be guessed upon… :cry:

In addition, I have taken your valid point about Shamrocks into consideration. Call me a Doubting Thomas if you will!, but I will have to see them in possession of the county cup to believe the Mucklagh/ Rahan outfit can respond from this years capitulation.

On a more serious note, and recognising your impressive journalistic background, would my talents merit acknowledgement in monetary form?

Ruth O’ Brien doesn’t exactly cut the mustard for me… :wink:

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Silken Thomas wrote:Edenderry:

Main Weakness: Despite MY optimism the senior championship is a step-up from Intermediate
Wasn't trying to unmask you in any sense - the above quote merely suggested to me that you had a vested interest in the Reds. As for guessing the identity, well as with all internet DB's, it's entirely up to yourself how much or little you choose to hint for those who might know you to pick up upon.

As for the journalistic stuff, well if monetary rewards are your thing, then I'd say you'd be best directed elsewhere. I only do bits here and there to fill in gaps and when the regular staff would be expected to bi-locate. If you wanted to get involved just in terms of covering games I've no doubt you would be happily indulged, but you'd want to do it purely for the interest. Unless you have more qualifications than me (i.e. any at all) then perhaps there might be full time work in your future, but in most papers all across Ireland (Offaly being fairly unexceptional to my knowledge) it's fairly over subscribed.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.