Kings of September - Book on Offaly vs Kerry 1982

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

To the best of my knowledge Clonin Hill is situated directly across from Rhode GAA grounds and that was the venue McGee selected for his demanding stamina work for the lads of 82.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Super book. Only got around to starting it last week and couldn't really put it down!

Excellently written and staged. Football doesn't seem to be like this anymore.

I won't spoil the ending for you LS :o
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I got it on Friday, and had it read by Saturday morning. An unputdownable (is that a word) book, but that could be because of the subject topic :D
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

I though that was a misprint for Croghan Hill all along.

1. Class story of Thomas Connor and the steak the engine.
2. Clarifies for all about the pub talk stories about Seamus Darby’s life since.
3. Matt is double the hero he ever was (if that was possible) after reading his reflections on the injury and his career.
4. Sean Lowry come’s across as the solid character I imagined he would be.
5. I always thought them Kerry jerseys on the day were a botch job.
6. It was a push.

Unputdownable is the word alright.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

I must confess, the same happened to me as Clocker on the day, only it was my own doing.

I was on my auld lads lap aged 5 in the Upper Cusack. I was balling with the boredom all the way through the second half. My only memory is a bearded Offaly fella (Currams) on a solo run early on which must have been the first point of the game. The auld lad had to take me away at 0-16 to 0-12. He heard the roar but assumed it was Kerry supporters at the final whistle but saw it in a TV store window in Dorset Street on the way to Berminghams!

He had lost hope for me then. 1985 saved me.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

'It was a push.' Shhh!!!

I've always maintained that Tommy Doyle had slightly misjudged the ball coming in and was therefore moving back into Seamus who also would have had the ball go beyond his reach if not for the ensuing contact.

Mind you I haven't read the book yet...

Loughers
All Star

Post by Loughers »

I was going through some Offaly stuff I had in a bag and found my ticket for the Hogan Stand. I have it framed now, on top of the telly. I cry tears of joy everytime I see it, and the last few minutes of madness that was 1994. Oh, what memories!!!!
Esto Fidelis

Phoenix Arms
Junior B

Post by Phoenix Arms »

The younger brother (Buffalo on this site) and I were seated high up in the Hogan in line with the edge of the square at the Hill 16 end, so we had a great view of the madness below.

Our seats were overlooking the exit and I remember a couple of Offaly fans leaving just as Johnny Dooley was lining up ‘that free’. It was the roar a couple of seconds later that brought them back to their seats for the last few minutes. They probably weren’t the only Biffs that day who missed the second goal but managed to catch the first and third ones.

The Biff
All Star

Waiting .....

Post by The Biff »

Mrs. Biff had already decided to get me this for Christmas, so I'll have to wait until then to enjoy it.

No fair :cry:

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Waiting .....

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The Biff wrote:Mrs. Biff had already decided to get me this for Christmas, so I'll have to wait until then to enjoy it.

No fair :cry:
We'd better not let you know the twist in the plot so!
:P

Kevin
All Star

Re: Kings of September - Book on Offaly vs Kerry 1982

Post by Kevin »

Just wanted to join the chorus on this having just finished it.

Unputdownable (attributed to AZOffaly)...describes this perfectly.

Aside from the obvious topic at hand, the way the subject matter is presented makes you feel like you are there every step of the way.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

'Kings of September' tops sports books list
Gavin Cummiskey

Kings of September, written by the Sunday Times GAA journalist Michael Foley, has been named the Boylesports Irish sports book of the year at a ceremony in the James Joyce Centre in Dublin yesterday.

Foley is the third recipient of the award following the footsteps of fellow Sunday Times writer Denis Walsh, for Hurling: The Revolution Years in 2005 and Vincent Hogan, from the Irish Independent, for writing Paul McGrath's autobiography Back From The Brink, last year.

Kings of September tells the story of the 1982 Offaly footballers who denied the great Kerry team a fifth All-Ireland title in a row. Foley outlines the story from the protagonists' viewpoint by providing first-hand accounts of the day and subsequent resonance to Gaelic football folklore. The match will be remembered for a last-minute goal from Offaly substitute Séamus Darby to put them a point ahead.

Twenty books were initially considered with five shortlisted by a 14-man selection committee comprising national print, radio and television sports editors. Each member was asked to name their books in order of preference, one to five. Ten points were awarded to first place, six for second, four for third, three for fourth and one for fifth.

The runners-up were both Irish Times journalists, Keys to the Kingdom by Jack O'Connor with Tom Humphries, and House of Pain by Keith Duggan.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

Brennan's autobiography wins top award
John O'Sullivan

Trevor Brennan's autobiography Heart and Soul, written in conjunction with The Irish Times rugby correspondent Gerry Thornley, has won the 2007 William Hill Irish Sports Book of the Year award.

The book was chosen from a short list of six which included From There to Here (Brendan Fanning), The Gambler (Oisín McConville with Ewan McKenna), Keys to the Kingdom (Jack O'Connor with Tom Humphries), Raiders of the Caribbean (Trent Johnston with Ger Siggins) and Kings of September (Michael Foley).

The book is the culmination of collaboration between Brennan and Thornley that dates back five years to a hugely popular weekly column in The Irish Times that chronicled the former Barnhall, Bective Rangers, St Mary's College, Leinster Toulouse and Ireland player's time in France.

A book seemed the natural upshot.

Speaking at yesterday's awards ceremony in Dublin, Brennan explained: "I was lucky enough to keep diaries for the last 15 years so I was able to pull down dates and the 'Fanatic', (Trevor's dad, Rory), kept scrapbooks on my career.

"It was great reference material.

"I said to Gerry that if we were going to do something, we were going to do it right and make a good job of it. In fairness to Gerry, he's been fantastic. The amount of work and research that Gerry has done in writing this book has been fantastic.

"He's given up a lot of family time in coming over to France and working with me. We have built up a good friendship.

" I'd a dream as a young fella, from a rugby point of view, of playing for Ireland. I made that dream come true.

"In this book people can see how those dreams can be achieved and I'd hope that people from all walks of life - working in banks or bookshops - that they might be inspired by something you read in this book and it might help other people go and achieve their dreams.

"I accept this award on behalf of the hundreds of other people mentioned in the book. Without those people there wouldn't be a book or a story."

On a lighter note, Brennan was asked whether there was any drink taken during the collaboration.

To sustained laughter he responded: "There was a lot of drink taken and the more drink the better the stories and the better Gerry wrote."

I've read both recently. Trevor's book is a classic, some great moments. If you are looking for a great sports biography, buy it. However, nothing has matched the quality of writing and pacing in 'Kings of September' this year. It's up there with 'Ball four' and 'A Rough Ride' for me.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

I read it in a couple of nights over the Christmas and enjoyed it thoroughly (who wouldn't from our county?) but I am going to roadtest it with a couple on non Biffo friends of mine to see what they make of it.. I will report back on their verdicts.

On the negative side it was a bit cliche ridden at times and some of the little anecdotes were far from convincing. I wouldn't say they took from the book overall but perhaps made the storyteller sound a little naive.

I suppose the somewhat heartbreaking thing about it is that we may never see it again. Although I was only 11, I remmeber it vividly and I'll have it with me forever but alas my kids may never be fortunate enough to experience it..

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Hi DD,

I appreciate your sentiments...

'I suppose the somewhat heartbreaking thing about it is that we may never see it again. Although I was only 11, I remmeber it vividly and I'll have it with me forever but alas my kids may never be fortunate enough to experience it...'

BUT please remember that you are an Offaly fan. WE ARE different. We have all seen the impossible become reality for us and our opponents. Surely we have no claim to the highest honors. It will take belief, massive work and sure - why not, maybe a little luck.

Keep the Faith. We will be back!!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.