Who will replace McIntyre?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I support Joe's appointment. After three years of McIntyre I think Joe will freshen things up. I look forward to the coming season

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

To be brutally honest, I'm not exactly happy with the decision. Joe Dooley is a sound man, has a great knowledge of hurling and is passionate about the game, but has very little experience, zero at inter county level.

Personally, I would of liked to see Padraig Horan, who has had a managerial position for several years.

I'm still willing to give Joe a chance and prove us all wrong. I'm not one to critise men when they haven't had the chance to be critised.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Gavin Cummiskey in today's Irish Times reports that the proposed selectors are Aidan Fogarty, Paddy Kirwan and Joe Errity. So who's right?

Loughers
All Star

Joe Dooley

Post by Loughers »

I think this is a bad move also. As said already, he has bo experience. As regards, Kirwan, Fogarty and Errity, they were the alternative management team. Joe was part of the selection committee but pulled out to add his name to the other two's bid.
Esto Fidelis

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Experience counts for something, but it can at times be over-rated as an indicator in predicting success.

For a man who hung in there and contributed for so long at the top level of hurling I think it is a big mistake to write this appointment off. To nail down a place for so long he needed to reinvent himself a few times along the way.

Now that Joe has decided to run the gauntlet that is the re-establishment of Offaly hurling to a All Ireland contender, I look forward to falling in behind him.

Joe has high standards to live up to. He will not want his image tarnished with a substandard stint as manager. He will adapt, inspire and fight to pull out the close ones. The players stand to learn a lot from his extensive playing experience. Only a fool would not pay close attention when he is giving directions/instructions.

One more thing. Please remember that Joe represents many good things about Offaly Hurling, but above all things - he is a proven winner. He is a winner with two uniquely different teams. He adapted to fit into both models and persevered during the lull in between. We have played some decent games over the last few years, but have failed to finish and have made other teams look good at our expense. Winners do not stand for this. They find a way to win.

More than experience we need a leader and a winner.

Welcome aboard Joe!!!!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Experience counts for something, but it can at times be over-rated as an indicator in predicting success.

For a man who hung in there and contributed for so long at the top level of hurling I think it is a big mistake to write this appointment off. To nail down a place for so long he needed to reinvent himself a few times along the way.

Now that Joe has decided to run the gauntlet that is the re-establishment of Offaly hurling to a All Ireland contender, I look forward to falling in behind him.

Joe has high standards to live up to. He will not want his image tarnished with a substandard stint as manager. He will adapt, inspire and fight to pull out the close ones. The players stand to learn a lot from his extensive playing experience. Only a fool would not pay close attention when he is giving directions/instructions.

One more thing. Please remember that Joe represents many good things about Offaly Hurling, but above all things - he is a proven winner. He is a winner with two uniquely different teams. He adapted to fit into both models and persevered during the lull in between. We have played some decent games over the last few years, but have failed to finish and have made other teams look good at our expense. Winners do not stand for this. They find a way to win.

More than experience we need a leader and a winner.

Welcome aboard Joe!!!!

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Interesting points Kevin
fair play
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "