Kings of September - Book on Offaly vs Kerry 1982

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Kings of September - Book on Offaly vs Kerry 1982

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Being released in Spetember...

Kings of September
The day Offaly denied Kerry Five in a Row
by Michael Foley

On the 21st September 1982 Kerry ran out in Croke Park chasing immortality. Victory over Offaly in the All-Ireland football final would secure them five titles in a row, a record certain never to be matched again.
It had taken Offaly six heartbreaking years under manager Eugene McGee to drag themselves up from their lowest ebb, but now they stood on the cusp of a glorious reward.

The result was a classic final that changed lives and dramatically altered the course of football history.

The Kings of September is an epic story of triumph and loss, joy and tragedy, a story of two teams who illuminated a grim period in Irish life and enthralled a nation.

http://www.obrien.ie/book713.cfm

sin01
Junior A

Post by sin01 »

mmmmmmmmm.....................i want this book when it is launched!!!!

Oskar
Intermediate

Post by Oskar »

I want to drive to Kerry and buy a copy from a bookshop there whilst wearing an Offaly Jersey.... (they will be selling it in the Kingdom, won't they? :P )

juteman
County player

Post by juteman »

To be fair the team and people of Kerry are very respectful to the Offaly '82 team. Seamus Darbys pub in Toomevara is a stopping point for a lot of people from Kerry on match days and other. Indeed whenever that great Kerry team have a function or event anywhere in the world, players, like Darby especially, attend.
JUTEMAN

Bord na Mona man
All Star

I finally got my hands on this book today.
I have mostly leafed through it so far, but it looks really good.

I'll let ye know the verdict as soon as I can.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

juteman wrote:To be fair the team and people of Kerry are very respectful to the Offaly '82 team. Seamus Darbys pub in Toomevara is a stopping point for a lot of people from Kerry on match days and other. Indeed whenever that great Kerry team have a function or event anywhere in the world, players, like Darby especially, attend.
To be fair, I'd say 90-95% of Kerry are very good natured about the goal, despite the obvious heartbreak.
I talked to several Kerry people on Sunday who said that they call into Seamus' place in Toomevara when passing through.
Perhaps having a pub on the main road from Kerry to Dublin is another positional master stroke from the great man!
:D

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Lads
Got this today at the airport heading into a 10 hour flight and didn't leave it down until I finished, superb. For anyone that was a young lad in those days it had hairs standing on me neck. I was 9 for that game and all I ate, slept and thought about was football. Those men were gods and to get an inside look as to what was going on on both side's of the camp, great.
It did make me think that the Kerry team was superb but there was very little on the bench for them. I'd say they had 17 lads and outside that they were weak.
I never knew Clocker missed the goal like that, crazy. I remember getting in over the gate with the auld lad, we were in the Hogan stand at the canal end. He was standing up as Offaly made the attack down under the Cusack stand and I was standing in the seat. To this day I can still see the water coming off the net as the ball hit it. It's a vision I'll take to me grave. Here ye go lads, not great quality video but all I need is the commentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1zX-DDznyk

By the way, one question I always had and never got an answer to, why were there Offaly supporters ready to take the field when the goal went in. I mean Offaly were two points down at the time, the only ones that should have been there was Kerry supporters. Someone please tell me it's eating me all those years.

OffalyManAway
Senior

Post by OffalyManAway »

Muck Savage,
I must have been within a stones throw of you that famous day. I too was 9 years old and had got in over the styles with my Father. I was also in the Hogan stand (lower) on the 21 yard line I'd say, looking right down on Furlong when he saved the penalty.
I have to admit with everyone standing I did'nt see Darbys shot hit the net, but I'll never forget the roar. Good times, good times.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Hi Muck Savage,

It is puzzling, just so they could walk out onto the field when history was made and console our guys perhaps?

Barring that, we are the Faithful County and we have proven that nothing is impossible...as you already know.

Looking forward to the read.

The Biff
All Star

Invaders

Post by The Biff »

Back in those days, the Kerry supporters didn't do pitch invasions; they couldn't be bothered tearing the ass out of their trousers getting over the barbed wire. Sure they were probably thinking that - just like every other year - wouldn't they be back again next year. :wink:

Neither was there any big screen to warn the Stewards to be ready for "Plan B".

As for the Faithful Fans, maybe this was a premonition of 1998. Nothing was going to keep us off the hallowed turf, not even the chance that we might not win the game before that moment.

Or maybe they just couldn't wait to get away from the crap toilets in Hill 16?

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

The Rain coming off the Net when the Ball hit it is one of my most vivid memories. I too will take that one to the grave.

I was on the Canal End and I've never been so euphoric before or since, especially when the final whistle blew.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

OffalyManAway
That's mad. I'd say we were sitting/standing half way between the 14 and 21 on the lower deck also, perfect position for the Furlong's save. We were probably within yards of each other.

As regards maddness on a terrace, that happened in '94 on the hill. That was maddness I really don't think I'll ever see again.

Oskar
Intermediate

Post by Oskar »

If anyone's interested, I've uploaded a scan of a review from today's Sunday Tribute to here

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Very good review. PJ wouldn't miss a chance to give a book like this a good plug.

As for the hill in 94...Jaysus, the memories. Absolute mayhem. Lost wallet, lost train tickets, money, the lot. Muck savage, if you were anywhere near the back of the goals that day we probably scaled the fence together.

Off to read my copy of the book now. :o
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Only getting around to reading this now, I'm about half way through it after a day, it definitely qualifies as a page turner.....

Quick question - I assume the Clonin Hill they keep talking about in the book is actually Croghan Hill? I never heard of Clonin hill before, but then again my knowledge of Rhode parish geography wouldn't be the best.