Senior Football Semi Finals:---------

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Shin-Shin
Junior A

Senior Football Semi Finals:---------

Post by Shin-Shin »

Well lads your opinions on this:

Rhode vs Shamrocks : Im thinking Shamrocks will win this! Although hoping Rhode might.......with the likes of the mcnamees; malone; sullivan; kelleghan etc rhode might actually do it!!!!

Clara vs Tullamore : Im seriously hoping Tullamore will win!!! although im finding this a hard one to call....

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I think that it will suit Shamrocks down to the ground to play Rhode in a semi final rather than a final. All the hype associated with a county final is second nature to Rhode while it would be difficult for Shamrocks not to get swept up in it at least a little bit. I haven't been impressed with Rhode as much this year at all, though in saying that Niall has been imperious and you won't stop Rhode without doing something about him. After that though, a lot of the other big names you mentioned aren't firing at all.

Midfield is absolutely huge - Rhode have been used to getting the upper hand here in recent years but not in 2007 - Shamrock's platform for dominance to come from here.

In the other game I can't help but think that Clara will scrape through. Talent-wise the sides are evenly matched - Clara have a couple of weak spots but are compensated by having the only blue chip attacker on either team. Still, Tullamore this year haven't inspired me, while Clara have hung in and got results in games without necessarily playing brilliantly. Clara to nick a low scoring game on a score like 2-6 to 0-9 for me.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

This should be a close game. If Shamrocks ever have aspirations to be county champions then this is the year. As has beem documented elsewhere on this board Rhode haven't been performing to their usual high standards this season what with injuries,retirements and possibly lack of motivation but they are still there. Thomas Coughlan will be a huge loss for Shamrocks but still they should have enough in their arsenal to overcome this weakened Rhode side and progress to their second County Final in three seasons.

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Rhode and tullamore to prevail.

Rhode have also have Roy back.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

I agree with a lot of what LS and Hyper have said. For sure, if Shamrocks can stop Rhode it's in a semi-final, rather than a final. In addition, I think it's a case of now or never for this group of players. Some are aging, while others have suffered quite a few disappointments. This is a very tight one to call and I'm surprised at Rhode being marked as favorites in the tipsters section.

However, I don't think Shamrocks will shake this monkey off their backs and to double-back on myself almost immediately, I'm going for Rhode in a low scoring game.

As for Clara versus Tullamore, naturally enough, I'm backing Clara to win this game, but I wouldn't have the same confidence as ClaraManInExile. I'll be very surprised if this game finishes (either way) with a 5 point (or greater) margin. Traditionally, games between these two are very close. Granted, there have been exceptions to this (00 & 03), but I can remember many epic encounters between these two over the years:

92 - First Round Replays
95 - Semi-Final Replays
01 - Group draw and Replay to decide Winners

Clara to edge it, but it won't be easy and it won't be pretty.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Square Cab
Intermediate

Post by Square Cab »

Rhode to win and theres one simple reason for this.........his name is niall macnamee!! How no team has deployed two men to mark nialler is beyond me! The fact is, Rhode are an average team without him, if you stop niall mac you can beat Rhode. No other team possess a player of this caliber, if they did, they'd be winning county titles. Plus Shamrocks couldnt even beat Rhode in the league never mind the championship. They were there for the taking in 2005 but Shamrocks couldnt do it. They missed a number of simple points and Paschal KO'd them with a goal near the end. Rhode to win by a couple of points with Niall Mac emerging as top scorer.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

From what I've seen and heard, it's Shamrocks & Tullamore.
I'm going for the outsiders. Shamrocks have improved, and I think enough to give Rhode a run for it.
Tullamore might have enough in the full back line to stifle Clara's attack, if Clara don't start with confidence, the blues will win.