Will McIntyre go?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sin01
Junior A

Post by sin01 »

think babs might have more sense than that to come back!!! Anthony Daly wouldn't be a bad choice all the same, but i think he has a too cushy number sitting up there in the commentary box analysising the matches!!!!

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

Seriously,
Anyone but Babs Keating!!

Allez Les Faithful!

sin01
Junior A

Post by sin01 »

arbarg wrote:Seriously,
Anyone but Babs Keating!!

Allez Les Faithful!

HERE HERE!!!!!!! :lol:

Loughers
All Star

Daly

Post by Loughers »

I think he wouldn't be too bad. He got the best out of a very avegage bunch of hurlers, got them to two AI semi's and should have beaten Cork in the 2005 one.
Esto Fidelis

Loughers
All Star

Daly

Post by Loughers »

I'm talking about Daly there, not Babs. :roll:
Esto Fidelis

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I think the same issue always applies in Offaly whenever we go looking for managers in either code (all too often recently). That issue is finance. I'm of the opinion that Managers should only get valid expenses, and not huge packets to be parachuted in.

The key to Offaly's long term future is development of schools and underage players, and creating a sustainable process that continues ad infinitum, rather than looking after a talented batch in particular.

All that said, I think there is a decent enough platform to continue the rebuilding process with players like Joe Bergin, Paul Cleary, Dylan Hayden, and any amount of underage lads, along with the likes of Oakley, The Hanniffys and Breeder.

I would like to see an Anthony Daly, or even a Cyril Farrell or Donal O'Grady type at the helm of the senior team, but ONLY if the underage situation is sorted out. Our ills will not be cured by only focussing on the Seniors.

Also, I'm not sure what sort of Money these lads would be looking for, but I'd say we'll not be paying it anyway..
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

Christ Loughers, thank god you cleared that up..
I was about to launch the mother of all verbals in your direction (*bout babs!!)
Daly would be a gift I reckon, our lads physicality would improve immensely but I rweckon the county board will go fort the cheapest option again.

allez les faithful

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

well, unless someone is appointed on a full time basis to organise the underage developments in Offaly it won't be done properly

you need someone to organise the coaching courses for coaches and clubs, the right people with underage squads, development training schedules, match and tournament entries, blitzs etc

that along with co-ordinating underage fixtures, primary school competitions and blitzs. secondary comps and whatever else needs to be done

get sponsors for teams and competitions, promote all the above in the local media. the list goes on
only the best...

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I agree manfrom Del Monte. That's where the main investment should be. 'Mól an Oige, agus Tiocfaidh siad'.

In tandem with that, I would like to see a strong senior manager though, to make our 'flagship' team again. Similar to the footballers, how frustrating is it to see Limerick in an All Ireland final?? Jaysus, that's a realistic target for us, if it is for them.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Do you really think, AZ that Offaly have players capable of producing that kind of performance.

Watching the games over the last three weeks I was just wondering about how far away from that level, the current Offaly players are, regardless of who the manager was.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I don't think Limerick's players are that much better than ours. So I suppose yes, I would think we have that sort of player.

Limerick's relative success is based on the same things as our footballers are lacking.. Commitment, Preparation, Determination, Fitness etc etc.

That's what frustrates me.

Superted
Intermediate

Post by Superted »

former Westmeath Manager, Qualter has apparently showed interest in it!

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I always thing with great players you will go places but if you have good committed players playing savagely out of their skins you will go further, and the few class players are the icing on the cake. If you look back in all team sports at the teams that won titles there will always be a great number of them that you would say, yea he was a good player but the way he played made him great

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

Since Tony Considine is now a free agant, how do you rate him as a manager????

in my opinion he was basically ousted from his position due to internal politics within Clare hurling... im not well versed on what went on, just what appeared in the main media, but it seems he made the hard decision and stood up to the 'old guard'...... i admire him for that.....

midfield
County player

Post by midfield »

What about Dinny Cahill lads, he is currently training Portumna but trained Antrim and Laois before.

Mattie Murphy from Galway could be another or some ex county player?