O'Connor Park revamp

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

O'Connor Park revamp

Post by Bord na Mona man »

What's the latest on the upcoming construction work?

Will the Brackens get the demolition contract?
We the public want to see "Demolishin in progress" signs erected, as seen outside the mill in Clara.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Demolition

Post by Lone Shark »

Most of us just want to see "Demolition in Progress" signs outside the whole of Clara.

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

I think Clara will be nice when its finished.

Mise
Junior A

Post by Mise »

When o connor park is revamped is the intention for home hurling matches to be played there instead of birr can anyone tell me?

Treasurer
All Star

Hurling Matches in O'Connor Park

Post by Treasurer »

All I know is someone asked at County Board meeting about county finals moving to Tullamore and the response was that there was no question of that happening. I assume same applies to League Games, but maybe that's too big an assumption!

Loughers
All Star

Tullamore

Post by Loughers »

Howdy boys. Where will the football league matches be held? Hopefully Birr will be able to hold the hordes of fans for the visits of Derry and Kildare in Division 2A of the hurling!! :)

Lone Shark
All Star

Other venues.

Post by Lone Shark »

Of the four home games, I'd say if they're going to be anywhere else, it can really only be Gracefield.

It has the train station for the visit of the Jacks and Mayo, Cork won't bring anyone anyway, and it's the farthest distance we can make Westmeath travel. All good really.

Treasurer
All Star

O'Connor Park

Post by Treasurer »

It will be interesting to see what direction the development takes under a new chairman. Seems to be a growing feeling that there's little point in investing massive sums for a ground that will be doing well to get any sizeable fixtures in the year. Wouldn't be all that surprised if the development is scaled down a bit, with more focus on spending on county teams and underage development.

Lone Shark
All Star

Not sure about that.

Post by Lone Shark »

Granted we mightn't get many championship games in 2005, but I wouldn't see that as a reason to scale it down too much. I'm not sure if there's too much of a need for O'Connor and O'Moore Park so close, but given that it was worth going ahead with in the first place, I'd say go on ahead and do it right.

20k capacity is not really worth spending a lot on, because that'll rarely get tested. You'd need more for big championship games, and as it stands would still be enough for county finals, league matches etc.

Plus you'd miss the grass bank.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I presume the projected development size is based on the premise that Tullamore will be awarded All Ireland quarter finals and other qualifiers etc.
If we get nearly as many games as Clones for example, then I think the investment will pay off.

Otherwise I think we should scale it down to accommodate the maximum attendance an Offaly vs Leix or Westmeath game would attract.

Loughers
All Star

O'Connor Park

Post by Loughers »

The picture of the new stand looks lovely but what about the rest of the ground. You can't really do much with the area behind both goals. Tell me that they're terracing the grass bank?? In the 21st Century our 2 county grounds have grassy banks. Carlow, Portlaoise, Mullingar etc but us to shame.

Lone Shark
All Star

Mullingar!!!!

Post by Lone Shark »

Mullingar puts nothing to shame. Tiny pokey effort with Dunnes Stores overshadowing it at one end and a block of flats getting pelted by sliothars at the other.

Give me the grass bank any day. Feck Bewleys, there's real national heritage!!

Treasurer
All Star

O'Connor Park

Post by Treasurer »

Portlaoise was ruled out by Croke Park last year for the Westmeath game - there's absolutely no guarantee we'll get enough games to justify the expenditure involved. Parking/access has already been highlighted as a huge handicap where there's very little scope to make improvements.

Maybe I'm just bitching because the way they've set up the O'Connor Park Draw is crucifying the small clubs. A club of our size having the same number of compulsory tickets as the big towns is hardly an equitable system.