Was McAneaney really that bad?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ballymanabroad
All Star

Was McAneaney really that bad?

Post by ballymanabroad »

I just finished reading the post about the Jacks and the impression I got off it was that Pat McAneaney in the Dublin Meath game had a bad day out in Croker. Now I wasn't at the game but he looked like he did what he always does. He gave the benefit of doubt to the team in possession.

Many, many times a Dublin player got a free in a one on one contest whereas Meathmen rarely had the luxury of the same. For me this can be explained by the difference in style of the two teams. Meath have always been a kick and catch team and played to their strength (Geraghty) yesterday, whereas Dublin survive on possession. Some would say that has to be the game plan of a team with limited football skills. Dublin are the fittest team in Ireland because they have to be. Dublin played three men inside the 40 but Meath isolated Geraghty on Henry (half an Offaly man btw) and pumped it high and long into him.

The point is that Dublin, by the very fact that they had more time with the ball in hand, were bound to get more frees from a referee who gives the overwhelming majority of frees to the team in possession of the football. I don't know how astute Caffrey is but he did end up playing two notable freetakers in Vaughan and Quinn and when Magee came on he didn't look injured to me.

Now can anybody tell me what sort of referee Michael Collins is? I remember pulled up socks and a Roberto Benini lookalike but I might be wrong.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Geraghty on Henry (half an Offaly man btw)
More than half! Both parents are good Clara people. A combination of the Henrys (nephew of Vincent) and the Scanlons (nephew of Colm & Mark).
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

indeed he played for Offaly...... The Offaly Club in New York, although he was more noted as a Dublin Hurler than a footballer at that time (2000 I think).

BUFFALO
County player

Post by BUFFALO »

ballyman abroad, is that Sean Kelly i see as your avatar?

juteman
County player

Post by juteman »

Hate to show the age but I think I recall David Henry's father Gene playing for Offaly in the mid 1970's - midfield I think
JUTEMAN

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

It certainly is. I'm doing a sponsored cycle soon so I thought I would honour our greatest ever cyclist.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali