Kilkenny 1-27 Offaly 1-13

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Phoenix Arms
Junior B

Post by Phoenix Arms »

peter wrote:did anyone else notice the difference in kilkenny warming up and offaly warming up?
I noticed Offaly going around to the Portlaoise GAA club pitch behind the stand about half way through the football game. So maybe they had their intense workout before Kilkenny had theirs, away from watchful eyes.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Lads, I wouldn't want to see this thread to get into an exchange of vitriol between the Plain of the Herbs and Offaly's Future as there is still a lot of points to be made here.

Offaly pulled back from 5 points down in the first half and getting the penalty they came back to bring it back to one point. They had possession after that puck out but didn't level it, but went in at one point down.

Now let's take for granted that Cody will have lifted Kilkenny in the dressing room up a notch. What could McIntyre and the selectors have done at half time to keep the post half time momentum going? To me the break came at a bad time and Offaly failed to respond to Kilkenny lifting it in the second half. While Kilkenny didn't go into a massive turbo charge, Offaly just didn't stay with them at all.

chewfáile
Junior C

Post by chewfáile »

I was extremely proud of the team and the effort that went in but I think there’s still a lot further to go than people might think. Breeder stopped at least two certain goals remember and we still have serious problems in the forward line for championship hurling. The forwards had huge problem winning ball all through the game and especially in the second half. And just like last year against Wexford and Limerick, we were having great difficulty winning any puck-outs.
Joe B has yet to convince me that he has the speed of action for championship hurling. Rory H was very disappointing also. I don’t think Damien M offers anything from open play and Derek M is full of heart but he’s not there yet. People say we will “come on” for this game, I certainly hope so but I’m still seeing a lot of the same old problems. Admittedly, you will be tested in extremis against a team like KK but that’s where the watermark is currently.
Regarding KK’s warm-up routine, as well as being consummate stick-men, they are extremely fit, fast and strong. Boys like Tommy W were well able to compete with Gary H under aerial ball. KK players could burst away from their men and their “first five yards” invariably got them to the ball first or allowed them to lose their marker. We couldn’t match that. Hence the disparity in scores from play.
David Kenny did have an excellent game and with the return of young Horan, hopefully we’ll have the makings of a very good half-back line. Young Hernon didn’t do too bad at all although I wish he’d use two hands on the hurl more often. David Franks did OK and the return of Verney will cause a welcome selection headache. But Paul Cleary is still not master of the big square. How many more chances will he get? Martin Comerford is one of the best in the business but it’s not the first time he’s been found wanting. I’m not saying bench him straight away but like Joe B, these young lads will have to start stepping up to the mark sooner rather than later.

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

turk wrote: Now let's take for granted that Cody will have lifted Kilkenny in the dressing room up a notch. What could McIntyre and the selectors have done at half time to keep the post half time momentum going? To me the break came at a bad time and Offaly failed to respond to Kilkenny lifting it in the second half. While Kilkenny didn't go into a massive turbo charge, Offaly just didn't stay with them at all.

a sense of realism is needed here Turk,....

kilkenny were 33-1 on to win the game, ... going in 1 point up a half time says a hell of a lot for our boys, .. surely all John McIntyre could say is 'keep it up lads'.... and give small bits of positional advise.... what would you have expected of them in the second half.....???

the kilkenny goal was the deathknell... going from 7 to 10 up... up to that Offaly harried and harrassed for every ball, and you could see they were physically spent by the final whistle...

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Sydthebeat wrote:
turk wrote: Now let's take for granted that Cody will have lifted Kilkenny in the dressing room up a notch. What could McIntyre and the selectors have done at half time to keep the post half time momentum going? To me the break came at a bad time and Offaly failed to respond to Kilkenny lifting it in the second half. While Kilkenny didn't go into a massive turbo charge, Offaly just didn't stay with them at all.

a sense of realism is needed here Turk,....

kilkenny were 33-1 on to win the game, ... going in 1 point up a half time says a hell of a lot for our boys, .. surely all John McIntyre could say is 'keep it up lads'.... and give small bits of positional advise.... what would you have expected of them in the second half.....???

the kilkenny goal was the deathknell... going from 7 to 10 up... up to that Offaly harried and harrassed for every ball, and you could see they were physically spent by the final whistle...

I agree Syd!
Kilkenny under Cody are one of the best teams in years.

But i think an intercounty manager has to come up with better than "keep it up lads" - you only get one chance at these things.

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

yes, i agree,... that was a complete surmising by myself... i do not know what was said at half time................ but surely that performance by a young inexperienced team shows the manager is definately is able to get the best out of them...

i cannot see how he could have gotten more out of that bunch of players..... we were probably looking at the eventual all ireland winners last sunday, and we had them worried for 50 mins....

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm struggling to return a verdict on Sunday overall, in that the first half was very encouraging but at the same time it was extremely disheartening to see the way that Kilkenny were able to pull away in the second half. A few random points, covering various aspects....

(1) I would tend to agree that a big long warm up in the heat was not the way to go. My gut feeling is that if a lot of the stretching etc. was done in the dressing room, so much the better.

(2) The lads did fantastically well to stay with Kilkenny throughout the first half, but I'm disappointed that the management seemed to settle for "it's all going great, let's not change anything". I think that the sight of a problem position being turned around would have been a boost for the players. The obvious example is Paul Cleary. It's now beginning to look like there's a bit of second season syndrome going on. He's still odds on to be our full back for the next ten years, but he was having a bad day and as such O'Meara or someone should have been brought on and tried. The sight of Comerford being beaten to a few balls might have lifted the lads a bit.

(3) The substitution of Teehan surprised me. Cordial is all action and all that, but his lack of marking in a key position is a big issue. He may have scored one fine point himself, but Cha Fitz scored three once Teehan went off, all from play, all in space. I'm surprised management fell for this.

(4) Damien Murray's free taking kept us in it in the first half, but once again his complete lack of any contribution from play is a killer. When we were hanging on their coat tails he was an asset - when we didn't need scores as badly as we needed somebody to win a dirty ball up there, I think he wasn't the man to have on. Joe Bergin is young, so I wouldn't disagree with his substitution, but moving Rory back to the half back line to do Carroll's job and leaving Brian Carroll back up in the forwards for a while could have given us a bit more impetus up there. (This also would have addressed the issue POTH raised, about him not really adding anything in terms of competing with Shefflin aerially) If we missed a few frees, so what? We weren't getting many anymore anyway. The sight of Murray being favourite to get to a ball first right in the stand corner and Kavanagh coming in, robbing him and clearing with ease was dishearteningly familiar.

(5) Why did we have to be the next in a long line of teams to "target" Tommy Walsh? Surely by now we've realised that he's well able for it and it doesn't rattle him. It's not like he's new to intercounty hurling. Go for Brian Hogan, or even JJ with the proven hot head.

Overall the truth of it is that one way or another this game was always liable to be lost, and the fact that we put up such a good show with so many of our best players at nothing suggests to me that there is hope yet.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Excuse me for going off topic again, but there are a few points I want to address.
Offalys Future wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Your crystal ball needs polishing.
I must say i am a bit confused.
Why you might say, i will tell you why.
Plain of the Herbs obviously doesnt like my posts concerning Offaly Gaa, maybe its because i am getting to the exact problems that are in our county. Or maybe its some other reason. He seems interested in what i have to say all the same as he took time out to review my posts.
Of which now i will answer
Offalys future wrote:My own opinion of the game on Sunday is that Offaly havent a hope in hell.
I would go further to say that Sunday will be the biggest beating that Offaly have ever received from Kilkenny.

Its great that people send their best wishes on this form, but best wishes wont be worth anything come throw in time Sunday.

Remember
Fail To Prepare
Prepare To Fail

This is the worst prepared Offaly Hurling Panel in the last twenty years.
I have sympathy for the players that have put in the effort but absolutely no sympathy for the guys that havent and especially not the players that were out drinking after the Laois game.

Certain people have posted topics about each player looking after their own patch etc.
This is why Offaly is the way it is at present, no team work.
One on one against Kilkenny we will get destroyed.
McIntyre sould know this and should have a game plan to put nto place, but no that wont happen either.

Offaly got beaten by 14 points on Sunday the 2nd worst beating they have received from Kilkenny since 1978.
It was obvious that there was no gameplan implemented either.
I called this result last week.
Now i will give my view on the whole game later tonight or in the morning but a 14 point beating to me is a hammering.
While the final scoreline showed a fourteen point gap, I feel Offaly showed more heart and determination than they did in 2001 or 2002 when losing by narrower margins. I found that encouraging. In a one sided finish, the final score is only of interest to the statisticians and the gamblers who had bet on the handicap. However, the gulf in class was all too evident throughout and I can see no prospect of Offaly beating Kilkenny in the foreseeable future.
Offalys future wrote:
Offalys future wrote:If that is the team they will need to score 1-20 to win the game as laois forwards will run riot.
i am worried but i feel offaly will get over laois.
lads its not right the wetup is a complete joke.
Again i called this game the week before and i predicted that offaly would win and would score 1-20.
Offaly scored 1-26.. .
You said Offaly would NEED to score 1-20 against Laois.
Offalys Future wrote:
Offalys future wrote:Mullins is a very good keeper on form but without been involved for the last 4 months he shouldnt be let near a county panel.
Your point is?
I said Brian Mullins is a very good keeper on form, which he proved yesterday what a class shot stopper he is. In my opinion one of the best in the game.
But like alot of times, you take a quote out but you dont leave in the rest of the topic.
My point was that no player should be on a county team with only 3 weeks training and the wrong attitude.
This i blamed management as they werent able to "man manage" him..
How can a guy be “good on form” and yet not have been involved in four months?

Offalys future wrote:Kilkenny vs Waterford
Everyone is expecting Waterford to really put it up to Kilkenny tomorrow but i cant see it happening, Waterford were poor against Tipp, played well though in fairness against Cork.
I think Kilkenny will be far too strong too.
I think they will hammer Waterford
Verdict - Kilkenny +8
Not much to say here, again i called this game the week before the way i saw it, i was wrong and waterford had a great win.

I like reading your previews but to me they are like a large fries from mconalds. Once your finished you want more.
You dont get down to the nitty gritty and you dont call the games.
Its easy to write a preview and say if this happens and that happens, and if he gets stuck in and that lad stands up.
But this is where you are caught i feel. Plain Of The Herbs - exceptional writing skills but you lack the knowledge of our players and other counties players and the game of hurling as a whole.
Or maybe thats a bit harsh, maybe you dont, maybe you just dont want to share them on the forum.

Stay tuned as i will be posting my analysis of the game soon.
Anyway, nitpicking aside, I would like to point out a few things regarding my previews.

Firstly, I generally refrain from calling matches in advance. I am not a fortune teller and I don’t attempt to do guesswork which is what predicting results really is. I would prefer media commentators to publish a detailed analysis of strengths and weaknesses when previewing matches rather than hazarding a guess at a likely outcome. Anyway, last Sunday’s match depended entirely on when Kilkenny’s first goal came. If Fogarty got that shot past Brian Mullins, the floodgates may have opened at that stage. Who knows?

In addition, I don’t do detailed criticisms of players. Some may find this a weakness in my analyses and so be it. Players get enough grief and little thanks without me adding to it. For instance, I agonised over whether to name Conor Hernon as the defender most likely to lose his place on David Franks’ return. Now I don’t know Conor, but I know his parents and I am very pleased he hurled well in what was a big step up for him. I offer my opinion on matters hurling, I don’t claim to have all the answers and I don’t claim to be the definitive word. I post to encourage the discussion and I welcome all comments no matter how critical.

Offalys future, I don’t doubt your passion for Offaly hurling. I find the manner of some of your criticisms distasteful; I feel you can get your point across without resorting to the occasional personal attacks you are inclined to make.

I agree Offaly hurling is struggling to make an impact at a national level the way it did. I feel the kernel of your points is based on – to level should the county aspire to? All Ireland contenders? Leinster contenders? Bear in mind factors such as being a dual county and population constraints. Population figures are at cso.ie. The only top 8 county with a population under 100k is Kilkenny, and they don’t have any football worth talking about.

In theory coaching is the answer. However, coaching at school level is all very well but this involves kids of all potentials from county material to those who will struggle. To whom should priority be given? You may be surprised to learn there was no coaching at all given in Lusmagh during the 1960’s – hurling was banned in the school. Yet 3 of that vintage won All-Ireland medals in the 1980’s and many more won county medals in 1989 and not a “cackhander” among them. I wonder are we starting kids too early – when their hands haven’t developed and they can’t yet hold the ball in the left hand (if righthanded). I don’t know.

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

turk wrote:Offaly failed to respond to Kilkenny lifting it in the second half. While Kilkenny didn't go into a massive turbo charge, Offaly just didn't stay with them at all.
Agreed. Offaly did okay for the first 15 mins of the second half (after cordial's point it was 0-18 to 1-12) then we fell away. Maybe the drop off was not due to the motivation in the dressing room but the lack of fitness compared to Kilkenny who are used to hurling for 70 mins at championship intensity.

Also, KK were able to spring 3/4 players from the bench all who made some impact - Offaly's subs despite their fresh legs failed to impose themselves on the game.

Substituting Bergin was not a bad call per se - however, he was keeping Tommy Walsh quiet.

With Horan and Verney to come back and given that Offaly's 3 best players on paper had a bad day at the office (Cleary, Rory H and Joe Bergin) Offaly on balance have a brighter future.

If they play with the same passion and commitment for the three qualifying games I will be happy, irrespective of the results.

Anybody else notice the KK gamesmanship ? Cody giving the ref an earful at halftime and shadowing the linesman all second half; Shefflin, Comerford et al querying every free in the second half so much so that offaly frees dwindled to nothing.

Finally, Damien Murray is worth his place for frees, penalties alone.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Mighty Pair O' Hands wrote: Finally, Damien Murray is worth his place for frees, penalties alone.
At the start of a game, yes. When we reach that typical Offaly situation where the backs are clearing ball and it's coming back as if there was a sixty foot high wall on the 65, then I'd be inclined to lose him. How many times have we seen that situation where we just disintegrate in the second half, not even winning frees, never mind scoring them.

Let's not forget too, Murray has been accurate with the frees this year, but we've all been there on the days when he had his off days too. He's certainly not Johnny Dooley from general play, but he ain't Johnny Dooley from frees either. I'd pick him at the start, but if it gets into one of those situations where we just need a forward to stick the lámh up and field a ball, or to block down a back, then I'd have him switched.

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

Lone Shark wrote: At the start of a game, yes. When we reach that typical Offaly situation where the backs are clearing ball and it's coming back as if there was a sixty foot high wall on the 65, then I'd be inclined to lose him.

I'd pick him at the start, but if it gets into one of those situations where we just need a forward to stick the lámh up and field a ball, or to block down a back, then I'd have him switched.
Murray's position is on the 21 - not any further out from goals.

So what you are saying is, if the half forward line of Rory Hanniffy (6ft 2), Gary Hanniffy (6ft 4), Derek Molloy (6ft) and/or Joe Bergin (6ft 2) are not fielding ball on the 65 , we whip off the small corner forward ??? :wink:

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Obviously if the opposition half back line are catching cleanly, then that's not the problem. That wasn't happening on Sunday though. the ball was being broken down, and Tyrell and Kavanagh were hoovering up all the loose stuff and clearing - Tyrell in particular. There were a couple of times when Murray was clear favourite for a ball and was brushed aside by Kavanagh. Hard to blame Bergin or Hanniffy for that.

The Biff
All Star

Hurling vs Kilkenny

Post by The Biff »

First chance I've had to post since Sunday. Terrific support from the Offaly fans for the team, and the ovation they got at Half-time was a credit to those on both sides of the sideline; players, management and supporters alike.

However, it was always clear that Kilkenny had more in the tank. I'd love to have seen/heard Cody's half-time pep-talk; I'd say that Alex Ferguson's Hairdryer-treatment was put in the ha'penny place in comparison.

It is hard to see this KK team being stopped in the forseeable future until the demise of two men - Henry Shefflin and Brian Cody. Shefflin's prowess is so superior to all other current players that I almost think he cant be beaten fairly by any opponent.

How long has Cody been KK manager now? Think of the unquestioned influence that this man must wield in the most passionate Hurling "nursery" in the country? He could probably pick a panel of good 16 year-olds, shift them around into positions of his choosing, and tell them to practice playing in those positions for the next 5 years and then he will pick them in the Senior team; regardless of where their own preference is. Until Cody decides that he needs a break from the Senior game, the rest of us may be prepared to wait .... and wait .... and wait for a glimpse of success again. He has his charges so full of self-belief that he himself is possibly no worse than being KK's second best player in every match.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Having watched it again last night, I think that while Paul Cleary was in bother throughout, Martin Comerford is some animal to try and mark. When he’s going up to catch a ball he’s doing a passable impression of an octopus with his other arm in the full back’s face, or he has his elbow in his throat. He makes it impossible for the full back to get near enough to challenge. It will be interesting to see how Prendergast of Waterford or O’Sullivan of Cork manage this later in the year. Or even Declan Ruth in the Leinster final.

He was delivered with some superb ball too, and was able to move out to the corners to make space then Fogarty or more particularly Brennan had roved outfield. Perhaps the thing to do was for Offaly to position their extra defender in front of Comerford, rather than on the halfway line, when they moved Brian Carrroll outfield.

Kilkenny scored most times Ryan pucked out short to Tyrrell.

Four ineffectual forwards and yet our lads were within seven points on the 55 minute mark.
Lone Shark wrote:(2) The lads did fantastically well to stay with Kilkenny throughout the first half, but I'm disappointed that the management seemed to settle for "it's all going great, let's not change anything". I think that the sight of a problem position being turned around would have been a boost for the players. The obvious example is Paul Cleary. It's now beginning to look like there's a bit of second season syndrome going on. He's still odds on to be our full back for the next ten years, but he was having a bad day and as such O'Meara or someone should have been brought on and tried. The sight of Comerford being beaten to a few balls might have lifted the lads a bit.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Changed My Mind
Happy Reading!

Right
Apologies for the delay, busy week!

When analysing Offaly’s performance you have to look at the following is what you have to look at.

1. Final Score
2. Offaly Scores
3. How scores were conceded
4. Player Performance.
5. Management Performance

Brian MullinsMade two top class saves.
One save resulted in a ‘65, which Shefflin pointed.
Nervy one situation in first and one in second half
Hit 37 Puck outs In Match.
1st Half (17) – Directly Found Man (Offaly Catch) = 2
2nd Half (20) – Directly Found Man =1

Conor Hernon
1st Half
Man scored one point from play
Got caught for Mullins great save
2nd Half
Man scored two points from play
Didn’t give away frees

Total Conceded = 0-03

Paul Cleary
1st Half
Man scored two points from play
Gave away Free
Man directly setup one point
Two wides from frees in first half
2nd Half
One wide from free

Total Conceded = 0-05

David Franks
1st Half
2nd Half
Gave away one free

Total Conceded = 0-03

Kevin Brady
1st Half
Couldn’t be faulted in first half
2nd Half
Got caught bad for goal
Solid half

Total Conceded = 1-00

David Kenny
1st Half
Man scored two points
Gave away one free
Man directly setup one point
2nd Half
Man scored one point
Gave away two frees

Total Conceded = 0-07

Ger Oakley
1st Half
Gave away one free
2nd Half
Solid half

Total Conceded 0-01

Barry Teehan
Man scored one point
Gave away one free
Won Free That Murray Pointed

Total Conceded 0-02

Brendan Murphy
1st Hal
Scored one point
Won Free (Murray Pointed)
Man scored one point
2nd Half
Man Scored one point
Scored one point

Total Conceded 0-02
Total Scored 0-02
Murray Free 0-01

Michael Cordial
Scored one point
Man scored two points

Total Conceded - 0-02
Total Scored 0-01

Gary Haniffy

1st Half
Scored one point
Won Free (Murray Point)
Gave away free (Shefflin Point)
2nd Half
Gave away two frees ( Shefflin Point Both)

Total Conceded 0-03 (Frees)
Total Scored 0-01
Murray Free 0-01

Rory Haniffy
Made no impact throughout game

Derek Molloy

1st Half
Won Penalty – Murray Scored
Won Free – MurrayWide
2nd Half
Won Free – Murray pointed

TotalMurray Frees – 1-01

Joe Bergin
1ST Half
Won two frees – Murray Points
Total = Murray 0-02

Brian Carroll1st Half
Scored one point from play

Total Scored 0-01

Damien Murray
1st Half
Hit 8 Frees - Scored 7
1 Penalty – Goal
Won one free
2nd Half
Scored one point from one free

Total Scored 1-08
Won one free which he scored

Shane Dooley
Gave away free two frees
Yellow carded

Total conceded 0-01

Backs
I feel we have big problems in our two main positions of centre and full back. You can see from the above that twelve points game directly from these two positions.
Every team we play against now will look at these positions and make the most of our weaknesses. Cleary just doesn’t have the pace for intercounty hurling and is one dimensional.
Kenny in my opinion can maybe do a job for Offaly but not at centre back.
He is young, strong, fast, versatile and determined - all characteristics that will stand to him.

The two corner backs did pretty well considering the all ball that was coming into their markers. They gave away four points from play but i felt they were solid throughout and apart from one opportunity in both half’s Kilkenny never looked like scoring goals, this is vital for Offaly to compete against the top teams.
Kevin Brady and Ger Oakley hurled very well throughout, Brady got caught for the goal ball watching but other than that you could not fault either man.

Midfield
I just don’t understand this.
I felt that even though Fitzpatrick had just scored a point and teehan fouled for a free, him and Murphy were doing well, Murphy had scored a good point as did his marker Derek lyng but teehan had just won a free which Murray pointed when management took him off and brought on cordial. Cody realisesd that Kilkenny were in trouble and replaced lyng at half time. This was a blunder as from that moment on the Kilkenny midfield started to dominate the game.

Forwards
The half forward line managed one point from play in seventy minutes.
They won frees that Murray scored 1-03 from but in total they gave away three frees that Shefflin pointed and J.J Delaney and Tommy Walsh score a point each from play in the second half.
Like I have already mentioned above, from 37 puck outs this line only managed to catch three puck outs.
I mentioned in previous posts that a free taker that can perform under pressure for Offaly is vital. Murray just missed one free, but was non-existent from play, apart from winning a free. He still has to start but the management need to find a role for him somewhere on the field.
Brian Carroll scored a good point, setup by Murphy but he did not feature again. He was taken out the field to a position that is alien to him.
Joe Bergin, how he was substituted first is just beyond me. He had won two frees in the first half that were converted. He is the only Offaly player capable of catching and scoring a goal. He has done this in the past and he should have been left full forward. Another crazy decision by the management.

Subs
Cordial was completely off the pace, and once introduced Fitzpatrick came into his own. Got a good point but had no other part to play in the game.
Shane Dooley
I believe he has a lot of ability but he certainly didn’t show it when introduced. Tommy Walsh completely ran riot once Dooley was introduced.

Management
Well I was correct in what I said last week. No preparation was done in terms of puck outs or an overall game plan.
Here is where they failed:

Moving Bergin from full forward in the first half
Taking Barry Teehan Off
Moving Carroll to midfield.
Leaving Cleary Full Back and Kenny at Centre
No game plans for first ten minutes of second half.
Taking Bergin Off

People will say the team done well in the first half. You can look at it two ways, You can say that ref was hard on Kilkenny backs, or You can say that Offaly were just as good as Kilkenny in the first half. I think it was a bit of both, I don’t believe it was a penalty but I do believe that ref was right in giving Offaly most of the frees that they were rewarded.
At half time what was needed was a management team with composure and knowledge.

This was half time and we were a point down to the All Ireland champions, four of our forwards had yet to hurl, full back in big trouble and centre back looking very uncomfortable. Midfield we were dominating but letting kk back into it the last five minutes, support was unbelievable and was lifting the players we needed that to keep up. If we can hold kk for the next fifteen minutes, they will get uneasy, the crowd will really get behind our players and lift them. It gives us a great chance.
The two corner backs and wing backs are doing great, we need to crowd out Shefflin and especially Comeford, we need to get rid of Cleary or else don’t give Comeford the space he got in the first half.
Offaly Management Maybe…
Make the change lads – NO WE WONT.
We don’t need to do that we are capable of beating this kk team. We will keep Carroll out at midfield and work hard, every man hurl his man….

Kilkenny Management Maybe…
Lads relax, look the ref is giving us nothing, we cant do anything about that. Get the ball in to martin, quick and fast. We are making a change, Derek is coming Off and Michael is going Midfield with Cha – look at me the two of ye, I need ye to work like ye have never done before, especially now for the next fifteen minutes, ye have dominated for the last year with you’re club, let me see ye do it now, we get a good lead on these lads and the crowd will go quiet and the heads will drop. Keep your composure, we have been in this situation against Clare before, keep your heads, get the ball into the full forward line quick as possible and don’t be afraid to have a shot.

Seventeen Minutes Gone in second Half
… Comeford, Fennelly, Fogarty, Cha, Tommy Walsh have all scored from play
… Bergin has been substituted
… Shefflin has scored two points from frees
… Offaly have scored two points, one from cordial and free from Murray
… Kilkenny 5 Puck Outs
… Offaly 9 Puck Outs

Score Kilkenny 0-22 Offaly 1-13
Crowd Gone Quiet – Offaly Heads Have Dropped – Game Over
Kilkenny cruising, in the next 5 minutes KK score a further 1-03.

What annoys me is that we have players capable of competing against the best. Players proved over the 70mins last weekend that they can compete against the best as have other players in the past.
But lads its about preparation and team management, and if anyone thinks it isn’t they know nothing about hurling.
We are been short-changed by this management team. They are just simply not good enough to be in charge of a county senior hurling team.
What an opportunity we had last Sunday, such a shame.

My own view on the team is that we need to put Rory Haniffy centre back, he just cant perform in the half forward line, I feel sorry for him to be honest because he has serious ability but the change needs to be made now, he plays his best hurling centre back. This would give us the option then to move Kenny to full back and replace Cleary. We were getting caught in this position as when Cleary was forced to the wings he wasn’t fast enough to stay with his man, now Kenny can compete in air, has speed, and could really do a job for us here.
What you have then is a very experienced half back line that are capable of competing in he air, your full back line is more solid with Kenny and both corner backs would have faith in their full back, something they don’t have now.

Teehan and Murphy should be restored to midfield; they are capable of matching the best in the country as they proved for 30 minutes last weekend. I would be worried about Murphy’s fitness though; he looked shook at half time.
The general fitness of the some of the players was worrying, Molloy, Carroll in particular.

What I found from last weeks games and all games really, there is no team work in the forward line, last Sunday only two scores came from direct passing, one from Gary and one from Brian Carroll. These lads have talent, I think Derek Molloy is great in the air but lacks hurling skills but that’s where a good manager comes in, you have to get the best out of your players. Bergin and Gary are capable of competing in the air; have to get more out of Brian Carroll. I think we need a forward with speed, Sean Ryan maybe (he lacks the hurling though), Ciaran Slevin and Daniel Currans are too more that the management should look at.
But this goes back to what I say these players needed to be in with the panel before xmas and working on a programme for the last 6 months.

What have Offaly management taken from last Sundays game, are changes going to be made to the team? Is certain aspects of the training going to be changed? Are puckouts going to be worked on? Are they going to allow Cleary to aimlessly hit 3 wides from frees again the next day? Time will tell but I doubt it very much
We have the players at the very minimum to reach the All-Ireland Quarter Finals, but I am afraid we just don’t have the management capable of getting the best out of the players and implementing a game plan that will bring out the best in these players and give us the opportunity to compete at the highest level.

email me at
gaatalk@yahoo.co.uk
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "