hurling team full back

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Flatcap
Intermediate

hurling team full back

Post by Flatcap »

who do ye think should be full back for the hurlers this year? i see whelehan mentioned in an old post here, and oakley did fine last year. our boy healion hurled some great stuff last year, but im not sure if hes good enough for this level.

we re rightly bolloxed because we go from marking lads like mcgonigle and mitchell who he should be able for to marking eddie brennan or henry in a leinster semi. its buying a pig in a poke.

i know i dont want joe brady there anyway. centre back maybe, full back no.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Full Back

Post by Lone Shark »

As you say, I've argued the case for Whelehan before, and I still would. I think he's still the best in the country in a tight space, it wouldn't put a premium on speed and fitness, and he could read the game and lead the team spiritually if not with an armband from back here. It's hard to know what McIntyre thinks on the whole thing though because he hasn't had him to work with yet.

If not him, then I'd say O'Hara is leading the race. As long as he doesn't bugger off to America again.

Bogman
All Star

Hurling Full Back

Post by Bogman »

I actually think Joe Brady has played very well at full back.

The ball was allowed to hang around the square too long last Sunday for Westmeath's first goal but otherwise he has been sound. Very tight marking, stays on his feet, nobody gets past and he is very thoughtful in his distribution of the ball, always looking for the easy handpass or 20 yard tip to Cass or Hoctor. He can actually catch the odd ball too which is not something that Offaly hurlers usually major in, Kevin Kinahan being a shining exception.

The other advantage of Joe Brady's placement at full back is that he isn't in the half back line where there are a number of good candidates - his brother Kevin, Daniel Hoctor, Andy McRedmond, Claff and Cass.

The third advantage of putting in Brady or Healion at full back is that Ger Oakley can play further forward. He seems more confident now at midfield than he used to be.

Brian Whelehan never impressed me at full back. In the 1989 U-21 All-Ireland final he was on a huge Tipp lad and got sent off. A few times he followed DJ Carey back there with poor results - I remember one Leinster championship game (1990?) where DJ scored a goal within a few minutes of going in to full forward. I know these games were a long time ago but I don't think the full back position is suited to Sid's game.

Joe Brady is the man in possession and I'd keep him there on the evidence so far,

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

It was Damien Geoghegan who got sent off in the 1989 U21 final.
I wouldn't risk Sid at full back. It's a position where every ball has to be contested (and won), sometimes with brute force.
This suits hatchet men and mullockers like the Rock, Darragh Ryan, Philip Maher, Noel Hickey etc.
Sid's game has always been about reading the breaks and mopping up the spoils, usually when other players clash for the ball.
He never enjoyed the physical stuff in his prime. That's why he rarely played well at centre back for Offaly. It allowed the opposition to put in more hits on him.

As for Joe Brady, I would have been dubious about him at full back. He was tried there when he came out of minor. He got badly roasted by Niall Gilligan in a league match and that put an end to the experiment. With his extra experience, I would presume the the extra yard of pace would be reading of the game. It's worth a shot. I'd still have worries.

Lone Shark
All Star

Full Back

Post by Lone Shark »

I just reckon that the day of the "edge of the square" full forward is gone, and that catching a ball is much more valuable at CB than at full. Look at the lads likely to be wearing 14 for their counties this summer - Eoin Kelly, Neil Ronan/Joe Deane, Gilligan, Jacob, Brennan. The only potential exceptions are Shanahan and if KK persist with Dougal up there.

Mainly though I think we need him in the half back line.

This is why this league is annoying me. Our experimenting starts with Kilkenny.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Hurling team

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Joe Brady looks to be being given an extended run at full back this time. At the moment it looks as if KK are preparing John Hoyne for full forward, and if so, Joe is the man for the job.
Problem position now is CHB, and while McRedmond is hurling well, unfortunately he hasn't the physique to challenge Shefflin or M Comerford.
I've said before that Kevin Brady is our best option to mark Henry, and maybe O'Hara is good enough in the air to challenge 'Gorta'

Some observations on the team as currently lined up:-
Goalkeeper. Interesting to see McDermott given an extended run. Is he challenging Mullins stronger than many might have thought. Is this a short term thing or will Mullins lose interest?

Full Back line. At the mo, looks like Barry T, Joe & Franks for Kilkenny.

Half back line. Perhaps Kevin Brady on Shefflin, Cassidy at 7. Problem at 6. Candidates are McRedmond (the man in posession, though small) Sid (not an option with Shefflin) Rory, Claffey, Brown ?!. Maybe Cass would operate at corner back with Teehan at wing. He's tight and dogged, and Barry is more mobile. Barrys best position is probable centre-field, though we've plenty of options here.

Midfield. 2 from Diggy, Oakley & Barry W. Hard to know where the one to lose out is going to go.

Half fwd line. Gary, Rory & Murph. No contest here.

Full line. Looks like 3 from Carroll, Parlon, Brown, Sid & Murray. Parlon, Brown & Murray looked busy (and scored) against Derry. If Sid is to play it should be at 14. Dunno what that does for Brown though.

Now, if we pick a backline based on horses for courses, and if KK line up from 10 to 15 with- Henry, Comerford, Fitzpatrick, Brennan, Hoyne & Power I feel the Offaly backline should be Cassidy, Joe B, Franks, Teehan, O'Hara perhaps & K Brady. Hard to see O'Hara as a championship CHB, but its for the man-marking I'm making this out. Most of those fellas are interchangeable and should follow their men wherever they switch.

As with all these things, time will tell, and as always happens, when theres competition for a place, someone invariably gets injured and the managers mind is made up for him. Just ask Eddie O'Sullivan.

Flatcap
Intermediate

brady

Post by Flatcap »

joe has been doing well all right, but i think we have to do more than just prepare for kilkenny.

sure don't you know anyway we're going to end up with oakley at centre back. hasnt he played everywhere else by now.

Lone Shark
All Star

Full Back

Post by Lone Shark »

A few interesting observations there, but going through the team, I'd say we'll still see a certain amount of "reverting to type" come the summer.

Even allowing for Joe at FB, I'd say Cassidy will end up on the wing. Small and all as he is he tends not to get dominated under the dropping ball, which is everything for half forwards/backs now, and that fact that he's a scoring threat from range will probably mean they'll want to keep him where that might come into play. I'd say Teehan and Franks awill be in the corners all right.

O'Hara could end up CB if only because he's too good (relative to what we have available) not to start. If we say Brady and Cassidy on the wings, that leaves this is the only remaining slot, although I could see him and Joe swopping roles if things don't go according to plan. The reason Rory won't play there is because we can't afford to move one of our two blue chip forwards out of the front. We struggle enough as it is without leaving Murphy as our only real threat, and even he tends not to score heavily.

Regarding Kevin Brady, I don't know if it's the given everyone thinks it is that he'll start this summer. I know he was outstanding for Coolderry last year, and should have got MOTM in the county final, but I'd be very concerned that he hasn't been starting for WIT. I know they are a very strong college, but still, it's hardly encouraging.

Barry Whelehan to me has to lose out out of the three. He hasn't been playing, and he's never really set the county scene alight at any stage. Diggy seems to be our main improver, and I will never lose faith in Wolverine.

In goals I still can't see him dropping Breeder. He still tends not to make mistakes and can pull off some blinding saves. I think until he loses form there's nothing McDermott can do, even though I do see him as a sound alternative. (I wonder what's he like with a football?)

There's still a lot of openings up front, and a distinct lack of people taking them. As you say, the half forward line is probably settled, or at least I would go with that. I'd put Murray there for the frees, and Parlon on form, with maybe Brown to be impact sub. Carroll has been too far off the pace for too long now, and I don't know if he scored more than 0-1 for UL in any game in the Fitzgibbon either. I'd find a spot for Neville Coughlan though - maybe at 11, with Murphy or Rory at FF. Fast, hardy, and good under high ball. If only to prevent our forward line all offering a similar threat, he'd be something different for lads to take on, and mightn't be as inclined as some others to just give up on it if Peter Barry catches the ball.

Tis pretty threadbare though, and that's assuming everyone is available, which invariably they won't be. As you say, injuries will end up making the call I'd imagine.