Kilkenny 0-5 Offaly 3-22

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Kilkenny 0-5 Offaly 3-22

Post by Lone Shark »

(Usual story, it'll give ye the jump by two days I suppose! :D )

A win over Galway in a challenge match the previous Saturday established this panel of footballers as the most likely of all the Offaly intercounty teams in either code to garner some championship success for the county in 2005. With a healthy sprinkling of new talent added to last years panel combined with a core of experienced senior players, on paper at least they appear to have the credentials to acquit themselves well this year. In this, their first competitive outing, players, management and supporters alike would have been looking for a real insight into whether any optimism was justified. As it turned out this sojourn to Urlingford in Kilkenny left nobody any the wiser, as the opposition proved so inept as to render any judgement of either team tactics or individual performances worthless.

In defence of Kilkenny, football plays second fiddle to hurling in the county to such a huge degree that it’s hard to blame the players involved for not being as well prepared as they might be. Not even in the most ardent of football counties is the senior hurling championship run off by May so as to ensure that players are all available for the real game in the summer, yet this is the kind of indignity endured by the Kilkenny club footballer. The fruits of such a policy were very apparent in this match, as the home side were dishevelled, uninterested, and in many cases patently unfit.

To score 25 times in an hour in always impressive. To do so after having had only 0-3 on the board after fifteen minutes is even more so. Offaly started relatively slowly, with their forwards struggling to transfer the ball between themselves smoothly enough to leave themselves with genuine opportunities. James Coughlan was shouldering most of the load while his team mates found their range, kicking two frees, one good point from play, and generally showing for the ball well. Paul Donnelly responded with Kilkenny’s opening score, a fine right foot attempt from 35m. He was to prove Kilkenny’s only real scoring threat the whole way through the game, although in another more well drilled county his excessive tapping and dummying of the ball to no apparent end would not be tolerated. Soon however Offaly began to find their rhythm, and the scoreboard operators suddenly found themselves with a little more to do. A fine solo run and finish from James Keane came in between two more Coughlan scores, before Niall McNamee scored the first of two goals finishing coolly after a Shane Dooley attempt was blocked down. Joe Quinn was the next to get his name on the scoresheet, and it was well earned, as he fielded a kickout, laid off and moved forward to take the return handpass and pop over a good score off his left. Two scores from Tom Fitzpatrick, one from Nigel Grennan and a second goal from McNamee, tapping the ball to the net after Shane Dooley palmed a good chance off the crossbar left the half time score at 2-10 to 0-1, and you were beginning to wonder whether the final score would rival the 6-22 to 0-1 beating the Kilkenny seniors experienced at the hands of Laois in the O’Byrne Cup.

The start of the second half saw Kilkenny at least double their total, as Donnelly again proved capable of taking a rare opportunity. This was responded to by Padraig Bracken, whose long range effort after advancing from midfield was one of the best scores of the match. The 6-22 spectre reared it’s head again as this was closely followed by a Shane Dooley goal, but matters then slowed up, as both sides began to make substitutions, killing any flow to the game. In a reflection of the first half, the first fifteen minutes of the second half saw Offaly only register 1-3, as they again cut loose in the last quarter, raising the umpire’s white flag a further nine times. Kilkenny also registered a few more scores in this period, but the game was no more competitive than a training session by now, and avoiding injury became the most pressing concern.

With eleven of the starting fifteen here already having appeared for the Offaly senior team in various competitions, not including Ciarán Kiely and David Egan who were unavailable for this match, and Thomas Deehan who continues to recuperate from his recent injury problems, the pedigree of this team on paper is without question. However this U-21 Leinster Championship looks to have the potential to throw up some very good encounters, with Dublin and Laois both looking extremely strong, Kildare keen to retain their title, and even Longford looking like dark horses with a string of fine challenge match wins, including one over their own county senior panel. One would suspect that Westmeath, and Meath - Offaly’s quarter final opponents – would also feel that they’re not without their chances, particularly with forwards of the calibre of the Glennons and Joe Sheridan in their ranks. Where Offaly stand in relation to these teams is still impossible to gauge after this kind of mismatch, which to be honest served no good purpose for either side. Hopefully Offaly supporters will forego the easy option of watching the club finals on TV on St. Patrick’s day and make the effort to come out and see for themselves how good this team is as they look to reverse last years result against the Royal County.

Scorers:
Kilkenny: Paul Donnelly 0-3, Kieran Burke 0-1, Padraig Treacy 0-1.

Offaly: James Coughlan 0-8 (5 frees), Niall McNamee 2-0, Shane Dooley 1-1, Tommy Fitzpatrick 0-3, Eddie Dunne 0-3, Padraig Sullivan 0-2, James Keane, Joe Quinn, Nigel Grennan, Padraig Bracken, Sean Ryan 0-1 each.

Teams:
Kilkenny: Dick Howley; Conor Kinsella, Padraig Treacy, Mick Kane; Sean Maher, James Maher, Conor Delaney; Paul Pembroke, Shane Coonan; Gary Foley, Paul Donnelly, Aidan Brennan; Killian Murphy, Brian Mulhall, Kieran Burke.
Subs: Donal Mealy for Murphy, Michael O’Dowd for Burke.

Offaly: Declan Hennessy; Shane Sullivan, James Rafferty, Sean Casey; James Keane, Paul Buckley, Nigel Grennan; Joe Quinn, Padraig Bracken; Tom Fitzpatrick, Niall McNamee, Rory Guinan; Seán Ryan, Shane Dooley, James Coughlan.
Subs: Eddie Dunne for Guinan, Padraig Sullivan for McNamee, Diarmuid Donoghue for Rafferty, Michael Stanbrook for Shane Sullivan, Niall Spain for James Keane.

Referee: Sean O’Shea, Wexford.

The Biff
All Star

Clubs

Post by The Biff »

As always, a very good and comprehensive report from the Dorsal-finned one. :idea: One small request, particularly for the benefit of those of us not blessed to live within the Faithful county anymore and so are a little out of touch with the rising domestic stars (well that's my excuse and I think it sounds good, if nothing else), could you give the clubs for each of the Offaly players? :?: We've no problem in knowing about the lads on the Senior team, but it would help to appreciate the rise and prospects of some of the other players. Ta.

Lone Shark
All Star

No Problem

Post by Lone Shark »

Declan Hennessy (Shamrocks); Shane Sullivan(Rhode), James Rafferty(Rynaghs), Sean Casey(Brigids); James Keane(Tullamore), Paul Buckley(Tullamore), Nigel Grennan(Ballycumber); Joe Quinn(Clara), Padraig Bracken(Raheen); Tom Fitzpatrick (Gracefield), Niall McNamee (Rhode), Rory Guinan (Ballycumber); Seán Ryan (Birr), Shane Dooley(Tullamore), James Coughlan(Doon).
Subs: Eddie Dunne (Tullamore) for Guinan, Padraig Sullivan (Rhode) for McNamee, Diarmuid Donoghue (Ballycumber) for Rafferty, Michael Stanbrook (Shamrocks) for Shane Sullivan, Niall Spain (Ballyfore) for James Keane.
Last edited by Lone Shark on Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

mykneehurts
County player

Post by mykneehurts »

I know this sounds crazy given the score in the last game but I think the under-21s are going to struggle up front this year. Don't get my wrong they are fine as long as Coughlan and McNamee stay fit but Niall definitely isn't at peak fitness at the moment. I can't see either Shane Dooley or Sean Ryan stepping up to the mark if we lose either of these lads (no offence to Shane and Sean it is just a question of experience).

Also I don't see many other options available to the selection team within the squad at the moment. I just hope I am wrong about this because I think the backline is solid enough to handle anyone. Just one question, is Diarmuid Donaghue injured or just out of favour :?: I only ask because it seemed to me an unusual decision to start Rafferty in such an obviously one-sided game considering he had a Leinster final coming up.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Diarmuid Donaghue just had a touch of the flu as far as I know. He is probably going to be starting corner back. Backs are very strong and even though they have very little experiance Shane and Sean are good footballers. Just depends how they deal with the tough Meath lads, i reckon they'll be alright though

Muck Savage
All Star

U21

Post by Muck Savage »

Lads
A win is a win. Add in the couple of lads that are out and this looks like a good team. I hope it won't go down the same way as other U21 teams in the past, lots of potential but no luck. The Meath game will be a test and should be good. Any idea of how we stack up on the Physical side with Meath? Seems like a few of these lads have been around for a few years and also that a few of them are underage next year. Hopefully this will be the begining of a stream of talent into the Senior squad, though the minors look poor.

Lone Shark
All Star

g

Post by Lone Shark »

I would imagine that the schools game wasn't to the forefront of the selector's mind to be honest. I'd suspect that full back is one position which could be an issue on this team (slightly worrying seeing as Joe Sheridan is up next) so they took one of the few chances to try him out. I thought he did well to be honest, but as mentioned above, the opposition was no threat to speak of. Still doesn't change the fact that the most likely scenario is Donoghue to corner back and Sullivan at full back.

Regarding the forwards, it is an U-21 team, so you're always going to have a couple of raw lads on it, particularly up front. This is the nature of every underage side. Seeing as we have Niall, Jimmy, and Rory all of which have played for the seniors, we're probably better equipped than most years. David Egan wouldn't worry me either, and I can see from the last day why MFF was impressed with Sean Ryan - he mightn't have scored much (0-1, and that at the death) but a lot of Jimmy's frees came from Sean winning ball and running at lads and getting fouled. He's also a good foil to Jimmy in the inside line in that he looks to run and take lads on while Jimmy usually just turns and shoots.

Physically matching with Meath, my only concern would be the obvious - midfield. Offhand I don't know Meath's likely team, but I'd be amazed if they went to post without at least one 6'3" raw-steak-eating teak shouldered type. Bracken would get stuck in, but he's not hugely intimidating, while Joe Quinn would look to play football rather than thrive on contact. The backs will be fine - Sullivan, Casey, Keane, Donoghue, these lads are all able to look out for themselves. (I really do like Sean Casey in particular in this regard). To be honest they should be able for Meath all round, as long as they can handle Sheridan and Farrell. I was looking at their likely line-up, and there's nothing else that would scare you or stand out.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: g

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Lone Shark wrote:I can see from the last day why MFF was impressed with Sean Ryan - he mightn't have scored much (0-1, and that at the death) but a lot of Jimmy's frees came from Sean winning ball and running at lads and getting fouled.
In Clara we're well aware how a stylish player with a good haircut will get continually fouled.

Lone Shark
All Star

Re: g

Post by Lone Shark »

Bord na Mona man wrote:In Clara we're well aware how a stylish player with a good haircut will get continually fouled.
I'm sure Sean will be thrilled to hear that you approve of his haircut.

He'll be keeping his back to the wall if he ever finds himself going out in Clara....

ballymanabroad
All Star

Cheers

Post by ballymanabroad »

Cheers for the reply on the Hoganstand site. I should have checked here first. A very good article there. Good to see some of my local lads getting a run. Dee will surely make the team too.

I know it is a first round Leinster game but there was no score given anywhere on any of the usual sites which I thought was pretty pathetic, especially considering PJ Cunningham is a Clara man and sports editor of the Irish Independent. Don`t even bother with the official gaa site, pure gawk.

So from a lad lost in Peru cheers for the result.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Bracken would get stuck in, but he's not hugely intimidating, while Joe Quinn would look to play football rather than thrive on contact.
Trust me Bracken does like contact, he might not look intimidating but thats why the first belt you get from him is a surprise and catches you off guard. I would agree with you on Joe but just because he looks to play football doesnt mean he can't take contact. I wouldn't have any real worries about the strength in the mid-field to be honest.

Bogman
All Star

Where?

Post by Bogman »

I was at the match in Urlingford and the Lone Shark report is spot on.

Can anybody tell me is Thomas Coughlan in the U-21 Squad? I would have thought he would be considered good enough given his senior squad exposure.

I was wondering also about Gearoid O'Grady, having seen him come on for Offaly Seniors against Laois in the O'Byrne Cup. I see that he played out-half for Tullamore in the Provincial Towns Cup last Saturday so maybe there is a clash with rugby?
BOGMAN

Lone Shark
All Star

Thomas Coughlan

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd say you'll see Thomas all right - possibly in the half forward line allowing Niall Mac to move in, although David Egan will also be a contender for that.

To be honest I wouldn't have O'Grady on the team at the moment. I've no idea what the rugby story is, but he'd be a close call even with the 15 that started in Urlingford, and when you add in Coughlan/Egan/Kiely (assuming Deehan won't be seeing any action) there's really no slot for him that I can tell.