Offaly v Derry

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Loughers
All Star

Offaly v Derry

Post by Loughers »

Hello Division 2 and all that it entails. I went to the match y'day. I'd say there was about 2-300 at it. Our first 5 scores were from midfield and centre back. Our forward line, expecially our half forward line were inept. 5 up at HT with a strong wind. They got it back to 3 and I, and those around me, were seriously worried. We should be beating these boys by
20-30 points. They were brutal also. Bad first touch. We then had a good
five minute spell where we scored 2-2. Team was McDermott (Rynagh's, nothing to do but a great puck out), Claffey (solid but not a corner back), Joe Brady (on Geoffrey McGonagle so lightning speed not required), Cassidy (good as always but not a corner back either), Hoctor (Shinrone, very impressed), Andrew McRedmond (played well), Kevin Brady (not great), Diggy and Ger (best players), Ger's striking is much
improved and they both ran their legs into stumps. Aidan Hanrahan (first man substituted, not good), Mick O'Hara (ditto, not a centre forward), Paudie (lucky he wasn't taken off), Dylan Hayden (not good, substituted), Neville (not good, substituted), Carroll (if we had more forwards on the bench, I don't think he would have still be on at the end. Scored a few at the end when it was all over). Subs, Brown, class act, should have started, needs to lose a stone. Murray, played well, might be
what his confidence needed, we've seen too many false dawns with this lad. Parlon, made a good impression. Overall, we'll win Div 2 but expect a torrid summer.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Firstly, the practice of waving at a ball in the air with one hand on the hurl is to cease forthwith. Its a terrible habit.
Ironic that the match was won by the 3 forward subs who were introduced. Showed some good running and picked each other out well. The team as a whole played some good ball around in the 2nd half and picked each other out well with some crossfield ball. This should be kept up. Maybe its just the way he wore his socks halfway up his shins but Parlon has a look of Setanta about him.
Kevin Brady in particular needs to play more ball to the opposite wing forward instead of sending it skywards where we can't compete in the air. Good to see him using his right side though.
Impressed with the leadership Oakley showed y'day. Maybe Brady might make a go of full back which would enable Oakley remain at centre-field.
Referee seemed to take a dislike to Oakley tho. Im afraid its a sign of things to come in div 2 where referees are going to give any 50-50 ones against Offaly. Now we shouldn't be depending on referees to help us win matches in D2, and in fairness if I was refereeing Tipp v Down y'day I wouldn't be unduly harsh on the Ards men.

'Tis a sad state of affairs when we're looking out for results from Sligo v Wicklow for clues as to our likely stage 2 opponents. London beating Meath was a surprise, though I saw Carlow play Athlone IT in the Kehoe cup final on chorus and they had some fine wristy hurlers, mostly young fellas and wasn't surprised they beat Kerry.
Not going to Mullingar next Sunday. Think I'll watch it with Gerry Russell and Ned Flynn!!

One other thing. I see Paul Cleary and Joe Bergin hurling for Birr C.S. Any chance they're still minor this year?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

It's probably a bit early to worry about our half-forward line. If we get both Hanniffy's and Brendan Murphy back, we should be sorted.
Otherwise should we consider moving Barry Teehan to the half forward line?