offaly hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Flatcap
Intermediate

offaly hurling

Post by Flatcap »

i hear cyril farrell is being talked about for the next manager. a bit better than the looper weve had for the last two years. youd think one of these years wed have a man in whod have watched the club championships though. lads like conor gath, cathal parlon and tony spain were all hurling great stuff this year and deserve a run. no new man will know that though. i think its madness.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

I agree

Post by Lone Shark »

This has been a big problem for the footballers too. Lads have a great county championship, but either they're coming from Under-21 or they don't get noticed. Inky Ryan for Doon or Paul Rosney for Ferbane would be two examples I'd pick of lads who have matured well as older footballers and could make the step up now. Most intercounty players only peak for 5 years or so anyway, so a late start for some might be no harm.

As regards Cyril, I'd say this is a case of people listening to his by now legendary grá for Offaly hurling and putting together the pieces to make a story. He's not the kind of appointment our board have gone for down the years, Babs excepted, and no-one wants to see that again. Also his style of hurling is much more run and handpass than Offaly players tend to employ, and as such I'd say he'd be a square peg for a triangular hole.

(Round holes would be a lot easier fill than this job!!) :D

Flatcap
Intermediate

john mcintyre

Post by Flatcap »

i see mcintyre is the man they reckon is coming on hogan stand. he was in horrid bad luck in 1997, after they had a good league run and everything. they could do a lot worse than get him back. he'd be a hell of a lot better than that headless clown the footballers have taken on.