John Kenny

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
gogo1
Junior C

John Kenny

Post by gogo1 »

Rumour has it that Doons Damien Hunt trained with the seniors last night. Will he fill the no. 11 shirt.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

???

Post by Lone Shark »

That John Kenny is not a summer solution for the eleven shirt is without doubt - and that Damien is a tidy footballer and a good marker who reads the game very well is not in question either - but I could neither see him as a centre forward or really county standard to be honest.

When you think that he'll have to jump over the likes of Paschal, Kiely and David Egan to get that shirt even if Kenny gets dropped, not to mention any midfielders out of Dayler/Mac/Jimmy/Super that could end up shunted to the forwards, I'd be hugely surprised.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Would Hunt be more likely to get a run at centre back?

Lone Shark
All Star

Damien Hunt.

Post by Lone Shark »

Marginally I'd say. I'd imagine there's not much between himself and Keane to be honest, but Keane being more the long term bet I'd say he could get the judgement calls. Plus James Keane so far at least is hugely committed to his football. Damien is much more laid back in general, which although it makes him and extremely decent and pleasant lad himself, a lot of county centre backs tend to be good at it because they enjoy hitting lads as opposed to playing football.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Hunt would be too fond of the rugby!
I heard he's been asked onto the panel lots of times in the last couple of years.
If he's now committed to the county, then he'd be worth a look.

gogo1
Junior C

Post by gogo1 »

The lad has 2 good feet, fast, accurate, and as was said, a great reader of the game. It hads to be said that he has filled the roll of a makeshift centreback for doon very well. Its well known that hunt is a natural forward with the right frame of mind he would push any forward in the country for a place on a team....not just Offaly!

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

The more Doon men on the county team, the better!

Damien Hunt is a good option, I do agree with most of the above, but the league is for trying out different players.........the John Kenny experiment hasn't worked, so why not try a few more in that position.........or elsewhere.

Lone Shark
All Star

Fair point

Post by Lone Shark »

It's certainly a possibility. If he has the drive and motivation to push himself then he certainly has the talent. It certainly isn't something I would dismiss, I just think he's too far back in the queue with only five league games to go.

On that note, I would like to see some experimentation in the Tyrone game. Not so much that the team effectively becomes a development XV and those tried aren't getting a genuine chance to work with the core of what will be the summer team, but enough that we've given the 25 odd possibilities at least two games each by the summer.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Re: Fair point

Lone Shark wrote:It's certainly a possibility. If he has the drive and motivation to push himself then he certainly has the talent.
Have we another Frank Weir on our hands?

gogo1
Junior C

Post by gogo1 »

Capable of having the same impact as the great Frank!!

However, there is no problem getting this man to train. He just seems to be naturally fit.

According to my sources, the only problem is the oval ball game. Hunt has $$$ in his eyes (Cant really fault him for that) and if he breaks into the first team with the Bucks again, we can kiss his ass goodbye!! I believe he is playing with the seconds at the mo..

I believe he is huair for the women too.......he will fit in nicely with the offaly bies so!!!

Percy Sledgehammer
Senior

huairs

Post by Percy Sledgehammer »

gogo1 wrote:I believe he is huair for the women too.......he will fit in nicely with the offaly bies so!!!
You'd think they'd just sort themselves out and win that feckin Leinster Championship they've been threatening for years so. The women around Tullamore haven't had heroes to throw themselves at for years, and so you have the lads scrambling round the pubs of Tralee after the match. Just get themselves recognised and they'll get all the pelvic training they need....