Offaly want all experimental rules scrapped at Congress

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Doon Massive
All Star

Offaly want all experimental rules scrapped at Congress

Post by Doon Massive »

OFFALY are to propose that the experimental rules which apply in football and hurling this spring be scrapped when they come up for debate at Congress in April.

They will submit a motion calling for the restoration of the old rules for this year's championship. Offaly's opposition to the experiments is so strong that they took the decision to formally oppose them during the very early stages of the Allianz Football League and before the start of the hurling league.

The call to oppose the experiments at Congress was unanimously passed by delegates at a recent county board meeting which is a blow to the Football and Hurling Task Forces who were anxious that counties should wait until much closer to Congress before adjudicating on how the new regulations had fared.

Significantly, Offaly want all the experimental rules scrapped. While there has been widespread controversy over the regulation that sees a player sent off for one yellow card, there has been some support for the direct pick-up off the ground in football. However, Offaly aren't in favour of that either and will also oppose the proposal to award two points when a sideline cut in hurling is sent over the bar in hurling.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Experiments.

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't agree with them on this at all - I think the new pick up rule is working perfectly. I hated the way the old rule wasn't enforced, and my mantra was that it still had to be obeyed even if you didn't like it, but the new system is much better.

The sideline cut things is hard to quantify - it is a great skill and I can see why they'd want to encourage it, but no more so than the overhead pull, lifting and striking at speed, doubling on a ball along the ground etc. Should we reward all of these doubly :?:

The tee should be an option - if it prevents injury, and stops the current situation where goalies get picked for their kickout, then fine. On a situation like last week the option to revert should have been there.

All in all though to just suggest a blanket no to them all seems a bit draconian.

The Biff
All Star

New Rules

Post by The Biff »

I agree that the new Football Pick-up rule is well worth keeping. I've been a long-time supporter of this idea as I think it helps to avoid a lot of scrappy play and gives a ball-player (as opposed to the tackler) an extra half-yard to gain clean possession and keep the play flowing.

I'm more open minded on the other rules changes, including the 2-pointer sideline cut. As regards the biggest issue of all (the Yellow-Card changes), I like the way the games I've seen are more open. Maybe some refs need to have more time to get a better understanding of what types of challenges do NOT need to be carded, or give players and extra chance before they are sidelined (i.e. it takes 3 offences as opposed to the current 2). I'd be sorry to see this improvement go altogether.

Flatcap
Intermediate

hurling

Post by Flatcap »

as a one time hurler i think things were fine the way they were. the way it is now, lads just trying to play the ball get carded, just the same as some yella hoor who pulls across a lad, and its just easier for the ref to give him a yellow than the red he deserves. kelly from tipp on the radio talking about how mullane should have got a yellow last year was a disgrace.