Shark AWOL?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
azoffaly
All Star

Shark AWOL?

Post by azoffaly »

Hi Lads,

where did ye go to on Saturday? I was looking for ye and saw no trace. Did ye get lost on the way down, or decide that the inside of a local hostelry was a better place to be?

As regards the game itself, the conditions were appalling, wind wise, but I thought Offaly did OK for about 50 minutes again. The first 5 were dodgy, and the last 10 of the first half, along with the first 5 or 10 of the second half. Apart from that Offaly matched up fairly well with the kingdom, with some nice passages of play.

Jimmy Coughlan had a bad night shooting wise, but himself and Niall Mac caused Aidan O'Mahony and Marc O'Se a lot of problems. Quinner and Shaper were very good as well. Alan Mac and Ciaran Mc had good moments, and Ciaran made a few trademark runs. I'd have liked to see Jimmy Grennan coming on there for the second half when Kerry's kickout was hanging in the wind.

I'm afraid the John Kenny experiment is not working. I think I'd be looking at Alan MacNamee and Jimmy Grennan in the centre of the field, with Ciaran Mac at no 11. Dayler could come on for Jimmy if Jimmy started to wear down.

All in all though, a good learning experience, and this kind of game is the reason why we need to pick up enough points to stay up.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

yes, the shark was nowhere to be seen. very disappointing.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

We ended up in the stand like sissies due to the heavy rain storm when we were heading in.
This prevented us from pumping up the shark.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Where were ye? I was looking for ye. I thought ye'd have the giant flag or something flying? I was sitting beside Gooch's father. Fierce nice man. He was waxing lyrical about Matt Connor, and was delighted when I introduced him to Willie Connor, who was sitting behind us. They had a great auld chat.

Loughers
All Star

Match

Post by Loughers »

I thought the sight of the 82 style jerseys might scare the sh1t out of Kerry. After the poor start we played well and when it was 1-02 to 4 we had a couple of very easy chances to go ahead. The wheels fell off then and we were too far behind. I know that it was windy but McNamara's kickouts are brutal. As for his "effort" at saving the first goal?? We need 2 more wins to stay up. I think we can take the Dubs and Cork.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

We were at the left side of the main stand as you'd look at it from the pitch.
There was a big crowd down from Offaly.
Ended up in Fabric nightclub and rounded it all off with a feed from Supermacs.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

AWOL

Post by Lone Shark »

I've some excuse - I was entertaining an "associate" from Roscommon. Bad enough she was being brought to a football match in Tralee as a romantic Valentine's Weekend getaway without making her stand in the rain as well.

That nightclub is some savage spot. A man would be back there given the slightest opportunity. That's probably how AZ's story started..... :P

Regarding the football, it's hard to shake the belief that Kerry have way more improvement in them than we do. Again I'd praise most of the players, but the reluctance to make changes hurt us as well. Karol Slattery is a great footballer, but Galvin was running him ragged, and was always involved as Kerry passed the ball up the field. He let Galvin run for the second goal as well when he went advancing, and we most certainly paid the price for that. On looking at the TV footage, he's damn lucky not to have been given a straight red rather than a yellow as well.

This John Kenny thing has to stop too. We should either play David Egan or Ciarán Kiely there against Tyrone, depending on what the management thinks, but it's clear that he's not playing well enough to justify his place.

I'm in complete agreement with AZ about Jim Grennan too. If he's not fit to play at least twenty minutes, he shouldn't be on the bench in the first place. If he is fit, he's clearly going to be a good ball winner, and the only one with a hope of competing with Dara Ó'Sé.

Treasurer
All Star

Rain

Post by Treasurer »

She wouldn't stand in the rain to watch Offaly?? Ah feck that, she's gotta go! :P

Didn't get to see it all myself as I was out for dinner, but saw some of the first half and got a couple of glimpses when I excused myself to go to the bar and check the score! Didn't really see enough of it to know what to make of it, but 16 points wasn't a bad score in such dreadful conditions.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Re: Rain

Treasurer wrote:Didn't get to see it all myself as I was out for dinner.
Bad timing for Valentine's dinner!

Treasurer
All Star

Re: Rain

Post by Treasurer »

[quote="Bord na Mona manBad timing for Valentine's dinner![/quote]

It's as close as I'm going to get anyway!! :cry: