Offaly 0-9 v 1-15 Dublin Leinster final analysis

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Diasappointed at the final scoreline, but all the comment I've read, even in the Herald, agreed that it was an unfair reflection of the game.
Havent the time or the inclination really for any coherent analysis so a few headliners that come to mind. Despite a lot of Buds and others thinking Dublins forward movement was poor in the first half, sitting at the canal end of the Cusack, I thought Offaly's defense was brillant at times. They shadowed and hustled with great intensity, seldom getting turned in a one on one and several times dispossessing the dublin forward. My obvious fear was that they could not maintain that level of intensity, and so it proved.
Getting cleaned in mid field is par for the course now, to the extent that Kelly is putting the ball over the sideline looking for runners. Is there any chance at all of getting Jim Grennan back just to stand and contest the ball in the air. Or even persuading Tomás O'Connor's young lad that he has a better future with Offaly than Kildare. The team will always struggle at the higher levels with the lack of posession.
Disappointed at Kilmurrays quote in the Herald that it was very hard to see anything positive in the game for Offaly. Thats very unfair on the players and is not the attitude you want from the management when you are still in a championship.
Paul Caffrey claimed also that having a man sent off has little impact in the modern game. Thats horseshit. If you have a lead to defend, as Offaly did in other games, you can manage to hold out and maybe catch the opposition with quick breaks when they are pressing for scores. But if you are a few points down, already tired, you have no chance chasing the game against very fit opposition.
While many seem to think Dublin upped their game in the second half I don't agree. I think Dublins excellent physical conditioning was by far the biggest difference between the teams. I thought Offaly looked visibly tired from an early stage in the second half. On 61 minutes there was three points in it, Dublin had had 80% of mid field ball, Offaly's defence had tired dramatically and suddenly Dublin found the space to swagger and knock in 1-3. Maybe this Dublin team is the genuine article, I hope they do win this years All Ireland, but I wouldn't be convinced yet.
Laois was the best draw Offaly could have got in the qualifier. I would hate to think of any Offaly team taking the field against Laois with anything less than a burning desire to show who really rules in the midlands. I assume Alan Mc will be available and if Clancy is still absent for Laois, theres cause for hope. And going to Portlaoise should hold no fears either.
The longer you stay in the championship the bigger the residue of fitness you will build up, Dublin have been in the latter stages for a number of years now and it has gradually improved them both physically and mentally. Offaly need to target the same.

Disappointed for the minors, but Meath looked very impressive. Theres still the opportunity to progress and if 2 or 3 of the players over the last two years can come through to the senior squad it would be great. Unfortunately still no big high fieldng man for the middle showing up though.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

BUFFALO
County player

Post by BUFFALO »

Twas indeed Bord na Mona man. It will be in full flight again for the Leix game.
Ah shur it was the GAA's fault for not allocating Offaly their own section on thye hill.
It is vital that we continue to support the lads all the way now, we must be as partisan as possible in Portlaoise on saturday week.
Allez les faithful!

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

the have some awful scummy supporters. most of them are grand, but there is a bad element. most of these twats dont even follow the club game and show up when dublin are going well

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

I agree RAT,
Not one of the thugs that squared up to us were members of any GAA club.
Inner city scum, thats all. There was only one genuine fella we met on the hill and fair play to him he was dead sound. but as for the rest....

Allez les Faithful