NFL Div 3 predictions 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

NFL Div 3 predictions 2023

Post by Fairplayalways »

Just to keep us going said Ide do this again this year:

Allianz FL Division 3 round 1- Saturday games
Fermanagh v Longford, Ederney, 2pm - hfard game to call this, Fermanagh at home always hard to beat - Longford will have some sort of buzz about them after winning the O'Byrne cup - could it be the pep to get them over the line- possibly not - Fermanagh 1-12 Longford 1-10
Tipperary v Down, FBD Semple Stadium, 6pm - Interesting to see how Down go with their new set up - I think they will be alot better than other years - Tippeary capable of beating them any almost any team in this division on their day, but hard to see them beating Down here - Down 1-14 Tipperary 0-12
Westmeath v Cavan, TEG Cusack Park, 2pm(Sunday) isnt this a repeat of Tailteann final?...Westmeath will be surely out to build on that win, and progress, Cavan are Cavan, well capable of pulling out top class performance any day but dont do it consistently, not really aware of any major talent coming through. Reluctantly going for Westmeath here 1-15 Cavan 0-14 (this came could be a draw)
Antrim v Offaly, Corrigan Park, 2pm (Sunday) - a tough away game for new Offaly boss and indeed panel one could say...no little about Antrim over recent months but at home are dogged team to get over -Offaly should have the firepower to get the scores to get something out of this game, Offaly 0-13 Antrim 0-11 (dont be surprised if its a draw)

Anonymous1
All Star

Re: NFL Div 3 predictions 2023

Post by Anonymous1 »

I agree with your 4 predictions for this week.

Fermanagh vs Longford - I would’ve fancied Fermanagh more in this game a few weeks back but Longford winning the O’Byrne Cup makes this close to a 50-50 for me but I’ll go with Fermanagh to make use of their home advantage and win by a point.

Down vs Tipperary - Down could be the main challenger to the consensus picks of Westmeath and Cavan for promotion with the Kilcoo boys back in meanwhile Tipp have lost a couple of their best players. Down to win by 3

Westmeath vs Cavan - Potentially the best game of this division. Westmeath were well clear of Cavan based on the Tailteann cup last Summer but with Jack Cooney gone, it might take them some time to get moving under Dessie Dolan, I’m still picking them to win by 2 points but you never know what Cavan could produce on the day.

Offaly vs Antrim - A really important test for both teams to open their campaigns, a win and promotion talk will begin but lose and the threat of relegation looms large. Offaly are very solid defensively and ok in midfield but I have a slight concern about our fire power up front for this game, nonetheless I’m still picking us to win by 2 even though we have a poor record in Belfast.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I thought Longford would put up a better show than that. The O'Byrne Cup curse!

Anyway, first matter of business. 1 - Hope there are two teams who are already dumpster fires and going to have dreadful league campaign. 2 - Beat and finish above them.
After that, see what happens.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Well today’s win almost guarantees we won’t be relegated already…

Big test at home next week against Fermanagh, if we can pull off a win there then we can start to dream of a promotion push.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

As it happens, I was in Ederney for Fermanagh's win over Longford. Very simple football, but well executed by Fermanagh. Daragh McGurn was very involved from centre forward, and Che Cullen completely shut down David McGivney, who was the lynchpin of the Longford attack in the O'Byrne Cup final.

Offaly will be encouraged by the fact that Cullen was carried off near the end too, since he'll be tough to replace. Big physical players like Seán Quigley, Ultan Kelm, Ryan Jones and McGurn can cause mismatches, but you'd be hopeful.

Cavan and Down will be the clear favourites for promotion, but both of those teams have to come to Tullamore, so you'd be hopeful in the longer term as well. As anonymous1 said above, next week's game takes on huge importance now.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Great win today hard work but a little bit of class shone through umpires awful I think we we're done out of point
I was behind the goal .
If we can pass with our pace we are a hard team to defend against.
But it doesn't play that way.
Antrim gas were great host.
Thanks for a great day 👍

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

A valuable win away from home. Antrim will feel they could have pulled off a big comeback though.
Having been 8 points down they were eating into the Offaly lead and with 4 points in it Rory Egan had to clear a ball off the goal line.
Brian Gavin and Laz Molloy highlighted some wides that Antrim had and saves that Duffy had to make.
Once Panda got the late goal, Offaly were safe again.

The wind was a strong factor and Offaly had to face into it for the second half, so some comeback was inevitable.
Thankfully it was only with 20 to go that Antrim found their stride.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Great start in that a win sets us up to look up rather than down the table.

Not being at it and limited radio coverage leaves us in a tough situation to give an opinion, but a few things,
-Listening to the last few mins pre Panda goal leaves me fearful that leadership is an issue and we could have conceded 2 goals which leaves us with a sickening defeat. We appeared to be lucky to get the insurance goal but will take that.
-Positive in that the game was ticking along and we got a scoring burst which left us 1-08 to 2 up close to half time, we rarely take advantage of those opportunities over the years.
We seem to have more options to bring on and had a few different scorers. But we need more guys to come on and win dirty ball and break opposition momentum, would be interested to see did subs make impact, (expected Cian Farrell to pinch a couple of scores but maybe starved of the ball). We will need to develope the panel through the league.

Watched Cork and Meath yesterday afternoon, and I thought that the level was decent but not spectacular. We should have beaten both of them last year , and with new management you could see they were trying to do new things. Meath kick out was poor, they got in for soft goals and they tended to give away a lot of frees.
Point is, a decent league from Offaly and if we could get over Longford , we would have a chance against Meath. Cork played most of the football but when the heat came on they dissolved. We need to be more resillient in games that start to go against us and hopefully Kearns can develope that.

Ease at which Fermanagh won is a concern alright, and Longford away will be a tough game. But next Sunday is a key game, i think a wiin is non negotiable if we want to keep promotion on the agenda.

Dessie won't be happy yesterday with no score for 20 mins of the second half with the wind!

Amazing level of committment and intensity to the league games now and great crowds at the games. Hopefully we wont be outnumbered by Fermanians next Sunday !

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

would take a a 6 point win away in Antrim anyday of the week, in recent years anywins away in league were by a couple of points and often with no goals at all...2-12 decent return going by scores accross other divisions..like most I was only listening to it so cannot be critical...Fermanagh next is now a key game, it was going to be key even if we dropped points yesterday but is key now for opposite reasons..will look at fixtures later in the week and give my call on them..Westmeaths was a bit of bad loss for them Ide say...always liked Cavan though...sort of a neutrals choice playing bigger teams...Down beating Tipp was good result for them too...early days yet though..

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:28 pm Great start in that a win sets us up to look up rather than down the table.

Not being at it and limited radio coverage leaves us in a tough situation to give an opinion, but a few things,
-Listening to the last few mins pre Panda goal leaves me fearful that leadership is an issue and we could have conceded 2 goals which leaves us with a sickening defeat. We appeared to be lucky to get the insurance goal but will take that.
-Positive in that the game was ticking along and we got a scoring burst which left us 1-08 to 2 up close to half time, we rarely take advantage of those opportunities over the years.
We seem to have more options to bring on and had a few different scorers. But we need more guys to come on and win dirty ball and break opposition momentum, would be interested to see did subs make impact, (expected Cian Farrell to pinch a couple of scores but maybe starved of the ball). We will need to develope the panel through the league.

Watched Cork and Meath yesterday afternoon, and I thought that the level was decent but not spectacular. We should have beaten both of them last year , and with new management you could see they were trying to do new things. Meath kick out was poor, they got in for soft goals and they tended to give away a lot of frees.
Point is, a decent league from Offaly and if we could get over Longford , we would have a chance against Meath. Cork played most of the football but when the heat came on they dissolved. We need to be more resillient in games that start to go against us and hopefully Kearns can develope that.

Ease at which Fermanagh won is a concern alright, and Longford away will be a tough game. But next Sunday is a key game, i think a wiin is non negotiable if we want to keep promotion on the agenda.

Dessie won't be happy yesterday with no score for 20 mins of the second half with the wind!

Amazing level of committment and intensity to the league games now and great crowds at the games. Hopefully we wont be outnumbered by Fermanians next Sunday !
Just to let you know that Midlands 103 Sport on Facebook always have a completely uninterrupted stream of commentary of the Offaly games instead of listening on the traditional radio where they cut in and out.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Thx for that!

There is also an app for download called Mixlr that did (hopefully does) the same still. A poster called Phoenix got me on that years ago.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Anonymous1 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:52 pm
ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:28 pm Great start in that a win sets us up to look up rather than down the table.

Just to let you know that Midlands 103 Sport on Facebook always have a completely uninterrupted stream of commentary of the Offaly games instead of listening on the traditional radio where they cut in and out.
Thanks for the info. Sadly I don’t do Facebook, or Twitter, I must be a Luddite. Always felt Offaly tended to lose out on Mids 103 sport coverage, compared to our neighbours.
It was good to start the league on a winning note for a change, even if we were holding on at the close, to an Antrim fightback. Fermanagh next, hopefully another win.

Longford away will be tricky, and Westmeath in Mullingar is another test. Down who are going well, and Cavan are two home games to come. I hope we build on yesterday’s momentum to launch a promotion bid.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Still no word on Nialler?
Media are talking like he's done but still nothing official.
He was instrumental 2 years in getting Offaly up to Division 2 with those last 15 minute appearances when the game opened up, defences couldn't handle him.
A similar tactic this year would be massive to close out games.
Still so much to offer it would be a shame to not see him involved. Since his comeback he's been playing like a man enjoying himself so hopefully we get to see more of his genius.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

NFL DIV 3 Rd 2 weekend 4/5th Feb 2023

Down v Antrim, Páirc Esler - Down had a good away win in Tipp last week and were impressive particulary in 1st half. Antrim were the opposite and had a great second half agains us Offaly in Belfast. Will be tighter than many think but one would think Down will have enough to get through here - Down 2-15 Antrim 0-13
Cavan v Tipperary, Kingspan Breffni, 2pm - while I midlander I always liked Cavan, they had a goo win in Mullingar last day, a surprise to some people but not me, balancing out that as to how bad people thought Cavan are and how good people think Westmeath are. Tipp lost last day, and its hard to see them scoring enough here to get over Cavan who will be happy with their first outing win last week. Cavan 1-16 Tipperary 1-12
Offaly v Fermanagh, Glenisk O'Connor Park, 2pm - Offaly had a good away win, Fermangh had a good home win. Offaly were excellent in 1st half apparently before running out of steam towards end, that happens at this time of year in particular. Fermanagh are a dogged tough team, can get scores when needed. at home Offaly have an advantage, we may get enough scores to get over the line possibly or a draw. Offaly 0-15 Fermanagh 0-13 (or a draw)
Longford v Westmeath, Glennon Brothers Pearse Park, 2pm - two teams who lost last day, Longford away and Westmeath at home. Longford are home here this week. Westmeath had a poor return against Cavan which is either a one off or a problem. Longford always seem to rack up between 10 and 15 points even when they lose. I think Longford might get a few more scores here going by last week. Longford 2-12 Westmeath 1-11

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Down vs Antrim - Hard to see any result here other than a Down win. They were impressive last week by all accounts and Antrim were poor for large parts of the Offaly game, only springing into life late on when Offaly legs were tiring. I’ll go Down by 6 points to continue their march to promotion while Antrim continue their fall to relegation.

Cavan vs Tipperary - Cavan had a great win in Mullingar last week and have to be seen as favourites alongside Down for promotion now. Like the first game, I struggle to see anything other than a Cavan win here as Tipp were disappointing for most of last weeks game against Down and could find themselves in the relegation mix too. Cavan by 3

Longford vs Westmeath - This is a huge game for both of these teams, a win takes the pressure off but a loss and you’re suddenly fighting for survival. I think this will be a tense, nervy affair with both sides fearful of a loss but Westmeath with their experience should pull through. Westmeath by 2

Offaly vs Fermanagh - A very important game which will tell us the direction of travel for both counties at full time. Fermanagh had a dominant win at home vs Longford while Offaly going on the road to Belfast to win can’t be sniffed at either. This really could go either way and I’m surprised Offaly are 4/7 favourites but I think we’ll just get over the line, we’re defensively good enough to limit Fermanagh to a low score and we should just have enough firepower to edge this. Offaly by 2