Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Anonymous1
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2023

Post by Anonymous1 »

llkj wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:52 am
pigeon house biffo wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:47 pm Just seen this comment in this weeks offaly indo

‘ The absence of a significant cohort of players making an impression in the Fitzgibbon Cup is a concern’

Has anyone an idea of what players we have making an impression in the fitzgibbon cup?
That is the point that the piece is making. The fact that we don’t have many/any players making a big impact is concerning.
I’ve read that paragraph a number of times and with context, it seems as though Kevin is saying we do have a number of players missing from the panel as they’re making an impact in the Fitzgibbon but I’m sure he’ll confirm which it is.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Its backwards the hurling is going.

Id be inclined to interpret that kevin egan column in a more negative light following todays result. Against 13 men too. Terrible stuff.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Very disappointing performance today against 13 man down.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

What are you expecting lads?

If you follow club hurling and look at the players who are named on the team it's very evident we are very weak.

There is some lads who play for Offaly who really would struggle to make the Rynaghs team if they had everyone.

We are clearly poor and I a hope for our sake this minor team ends up been very fruitful to us.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

We were lucky but a wins a win come on Offaly

Lookingovertheditch
Junior C

Post by Lookingovertheditch »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:47 pm Just seen this comment in this weeks offaly indo

‘ The absence of a significant cohort of players making an impression in the Fitzgibbon Cup is a concern’

Has anyone an idea of what players we have making an impression in the fitzgibbon cup?
Be a serious team when all those lads lighting up the Fitzgibbon Cup arrive back in :roll:

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It would take multiple strong minor teams to change offaly fortunes in the coming years.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

It’s always good to win and I’m usually as positive as anybody but this team just seems to go from bad to worse.

A full half with two extra men against Down and we scrape over by 3 points.

Kerry will put this team to the sword in 3 weeks time on todays evidence.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

As will Kildare

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Do we not have at least a competitive championship? Its hardly just rynaghs plus the rest? All the rynaghs lads have been given a run with the county, don’t think theres any of them a serious miss, the best rynaghs hurler is involved anyway?

Is it unfair, based on the preseason comp performances, to expect a higher level of performance? Regardless of their interest, any iteration of wexford, kilkenny or laois would be far superior to whatever Down should be able to offer up.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Kildare gave carlow a real beating, based on that , i can't see offaly ovrr coming kildare.
Offaly club championship is very competitive, not necessarily a good one though.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

I'm disappointed to see so many negative posts here. These guys deserve our support and from what I see they are proud to represent their county. It would be different if players and/or management were not putting in the effort. Besides, there are several good hurlers on that team. Where are all the Rynaghs lads that are meant to be better than guys on the county panel?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I don't want to name lads on this as mentioned above its harsh for us to give negative posts on this as they are putting in a huge effort.

My point in relation to Rynaghs is overall there team is pretty solid or was anyway with very little weaknesses.

I think there is a small pool of Offaly hurlers who are very ordinary one of the starters didn't start for his club team in 2021 another starter last week has been so consistently poor for Offaly I still can't figure out how he is starting.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

first_touch wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:17 pm I'm disappointed to see so many negative posts here. These guys deserve our support and from what I see they are proud to represent their county. It would be different if players and/or management were not putting in the effort. Besides, there are several good hurlers on that team. Where are all the Rynaghs lads that are meant to be better than guys on the county panel?
Pointing out how poor we are and that we’ll likely be beaten by Kerry and Kildare isn’t being negative, it’s being a realist.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

greenairfield wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:59 pm I don't want to name lads on this as mentioned above its harsh for us to give negative posts on this as they are putting in a huge effort.

My point in relation to Rynaghs is overall there team is pretty solid or was anyway with very little weaknesses.

I think there is a small pool of Offaly hurlers who are very ordinary one of the starters didn't start for his club team in 2021 another starter last week has been so consistently poor for Offaly I still can't figure out how he is starting.
They weren't that solid when 4 of them took a year out to travel. Which they are entitled to do. Wouldn't read to much into yesterday's game. Went up and got two points. Job done. Very easy to be negative against lads, which doesn't help. Still think we'll get to final and get promoted. Keep up the good work lads