Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Re: Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2023

Post by Superhans75 »

Gambling is a bigger issue than drink with professional soccer players.
My mate has two pubs in Birmingham regularly frequented by players of Villa , Birmingham,WBA ,.
During the afternoon after training a game of pool snooker couple of beers or non alcoholic drinks .
Gambling is a curse look at our own players
Every club has one as well ..
A drunk will stand out a gambler hides in the background

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Well done to the footballers today and good to open the campaign with a win.
Up next is Laois in six days time in Portlaoise.

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

That performance today wouldn’t inspire much confidence for our tailteann cup campaign. 16 scores to 11 against a team who didn’t win a game in division 4, 0-1 between three starting forwards Anton ruairi and maher. No urgency at all too many slow attacks London we’re there to be hammered any team worth their salt would’ve put them to the sword. The squad is wafer thin there’s only 27 in there at the moment any injury to a key player and that’s us completely screwed. Cavan and down hammered us in the league and will do so again whenever we meet them, the draw will determine how long we stay in the competition but if we get a favourable one it’s just delaying the inevitable

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Behindthegoal wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:51 pm That performance today wouldn’t inspire much confidence for our tailteann cup campaign. 16 scores to 11 against a team who didn’t win a game in division 4, 0-1 between three starting forwards Anton ruairi and maher. No urgency at all too many slow attacks London we’re there to be hammered any team worth their salt would’ve put them to the sword. The squad is wafer thin there’s only 27 in there at the moment any injury to a key player and that’s us completely screwed. Cavan and down hammered us in the league and will do so again whenever we meet them, the draw will determine how long we stay in the competition but if we get a favourable one it’s just delaying the inevitable
So we didn’t hammer London with a 9 point win, but a 7 point loss to Cavan was a hammering?
I accept your points about todays performance but we won comfortably.
With Panda and Keith O’Neill back soon, it won’t be a squad of 27 for long

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

Sligo put up 2-20 against London over in London, you know what I mean Cavan and Down are streets ahead of us so can’t see us winning it, county squads typically have 35 players so you have 9 lads who don’t even make the match day squad at the moment anyone who is in there gets to tog out so what’s their motivation for performing in training it’s just very odd in this Day and age

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

Absolute crap but that's no offence to London
So many issues
Drink Drink arse feck girls

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Aside from minute 5 to about 30, this was a none event. Aside from a handful and the outstanding Dylan Hyland there was a total malaise about the whole thing.
But I think thats the scenario, with 2 more games to play we're through. Injury to David Dempsey and Dylan Hyland was limping going off.
We should rise a gallop for Laois but hard to know how we will go. Cian Farrell looks a threat again.
In my opinion it is an opportunity to build a squad and good to see Morgan Tynan and Cormac Delaney get some game time along with Shane Tierney.

Anton, Ruairi were quiet, but will be key men next week.

Hardly be a clash now with Joe Mc final?

Offaly4Life123
Junior C
Club: Rhode

Post by Offaly4Life123 »

Any word if Keith ONeill , Panda and Hayes will be playing the next day ? Also will D Dempsey and Hyland be okay after today ?
Watched Laois yesterday and they are very open and sluggish in the backline . Everything they do comes through target man OCarroll in at 14 , if he’s held Laois are very toothless

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

Did anyone yesterday see all the passing to the wrong team yesterday it was ridiculous the Offaly home London home looked very similar throw in the Offaly goalkeeper as well it was madness I counted at least 12
Passes from both sides to opposition in the first half
This a becoming a running joke

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

"Hardly be a clash now with Joe Mc final?"
Apologies, had it in my head Joe Mc was next weekend.

Lone Shark mentioned Friday night game v Laois would be great, and he's right. As a one off game for both counties it should have been considered, give Portlaoise town a boost and with lights 8pm would give ample time for most to make it.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I wasn't there yesterday so I'm not going to judge too much, but all I'll say is that I'm certainly not going to get unduly worried with the team not running up a big score against a poor opponent that conceded the first seven points in a row.

Yeah, tuning out with 15 to play is not ideal, but there was always going to be a bit of comedown, going from a big performance in Croke Park to this. I'd be fairly confident that if for any reason, Offaly NEEDED to win that game by 15 or 16, they would have been well able to do so.

I will say that I was in Cavan for Cavan vs Laois, and while Laois were improved, they badly ran out of steam. Up front they're dangerous, there's a lot of scoring in O'Carroll/Barry/Lowry/Kingston, but at the other end, they're there to be attacked. I'd be hopeful, put it that way.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:58 pm Lone Shark mentioned Friday night game v Laois would be great, and he's right. As a one off game for both counties it should have been considered, give Portlaoise town a boost and with lights 8pm would give ample time for most to make it.
As it happens, there's not a lot up against it this week, but I do stand by this, barring any objection from players of course. There aren't many games that would have been suited to playing on the Friday night, but this one was absolutely custom made for it.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

Hopefully we can move up a gear against loais
They will definitely raise their game against us

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

All the best for the match on Saturday night.
A chance to set down another marker against a Laois team that despite not performing well this year, could still cause us problems. We have challenges from getting a consistent 75 minute performance to consistency between matches. Lads should be well rested after the London game and chomping at the bit for this one. There is pressure on Offaly as a defeat here would end many spectators interests in the competition no matter who we might draw in the knockout stages as Cavan are a step ahead of us at the moment.

A performance and a win is crucial. Best of luck to the team and management.
Hopefully our support gets out and gets over to Portlaoise. Was looking at few comments from the Wexford side who were disgusted by the turnout for the game during the week from their side. Wasn't too many at the Kildare q final following Offaly, but anyway all are welcome regardless.

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

Well we have to beat the old enemy if we can consider
Ourselves contenders for promotion next year .?
But we have tripped up over our own shoelaces
Plenty of times before.
Let's get the win 👍