Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Re: Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2023

Post by Superhans75 »

Absolute shambles baby with the bathwater.
When are we going to stop this ridiculous elitism
Of university sport ruin the Punters (without us there
There would be no gaa)
I could not see Liverpool pulling out of the league cup
Because they have a Lancashire cup game.
Maybe it's time for no 20/22 old to play league and tournament games also gives them a chance to travel.
It makes sense but common sense is like my hairline scarce.😡

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

This has parallels to the year 2000 when Man Utd pulled out of the FA Cup due to fixture congestion owing to the World Club Championship.
There was quite a public backlash then.

fa cup.jpeg
fa cup.jpeg (673.01 KiB) Viewed 20855 times

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Tomorrow's front page could have comments from Leo Varadkar, Vogue Williams, Damien Dempsey, Delores McNamara, Bressie, Francis Brennan, Ken Doherty, Twink and Dermot Bannon all urging Offaly not to drop out.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

A pointless competition.

Why not play practice games and segerson before the league.

Teams don't take it serious and if they need to look at players there will be plenty of teams wanting games rather than these stupid cups that cause injuries and block up the calendar.

Our best young players can focus on sigerson and fitzgibbon the older lads will have a rest and everyone will be good to go for first round of the league.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:21 pm Tomorrow's front page could have comments from Leo Varadkar, Vogue Williams, Damien Dempsey, Delores McNamara, Bressie, Francis Brennan, Ken Doherty, Twink and Dermot Bannon all urging Offaly not to drop out.
😂😂😂😂😂😂
Doon exile....

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Superhans75 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:16 pm Absolute shambles baby with the bathwater.
When are we going to stop this ridiculous elitism
Of university sport ruin the Punters (without us there
There would be no gaa)
I could not see Liverpool pulling out of the league cup
Because they have a Lancashire cup game.
Maybe it's time for no 20/22 old to play league and tournament games also gives them a chance to travel.
It makes sense but common sense is like my hairline scarce.😡

You obviously never played in third level competitions or watched them much. They expose young players to an exceptionally high standard of hurling and football that is not replicated by the pre season tournament.

A big downfall for Offaly is that our county has one of the lowest progression rates to 3rd level education in the country, and as a result quite a number of our emerging talents miss out on the invaluable experience that the Sigerson & Fitzgibbon cup offer.

Kearns.made the right call. The bigger picture is having the players fit for the start of the league. Mickey Harte had no problem pulling his team out to suit their needs.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

There's no way you'd play three challenge games in eight days, while missing players who are on third-level duty. And if you did play two in five days, and accumulated the injuries Offaly have, you'd probably knock the third one on the head anyway.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Well played here. We asked for a new fixture date and did not just ‘pull out’. Slight, but important difference.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

I may be in a minority of one, but I think Offaly footballers should have played Louth in the O’Byrne Cup semi final. There is a chance of winning the competition, and would be a boost ahead of the League.
The difficulty is the third level competitions begin in January, as do the pre season provincial competitions, plus the leagues begin in late January. Players are selected for college games, and may be also on county panels. It is a problem which occurs annually, I see the Leinster Council are considering reverting to a knock out O’Byrne Cup next year, after the spate of withdrawals this month. It should free up time for counties before the leagues commence. The Third Level dilemma remains, maybe play these games before Christmas if feasible. It should be resolved by the GAA.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

SearingDrive wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:35 pm I may be in a minority of one, but I think Offaly footballers should have played Louth in the O’Byrne Cup semi final. There is a chance of winning the competition, and would be a boost ahead of the League.
The difficulty is the third level competitions begin in January, as do the pre season provincial competitions, plus the leagues begin in late January. Players are selected for college games, and may be also on county panels. It is a problem which occurs annually, I see the Leinster Council are considering reverting to a knock out O’Byrne Cup next year, after the spate of withdrawals this month. It should free up time for counties before the leagues commence. The Third Level dilemma remains, maybe play these games before Christmas if feasible. It should be resolved by the GAA.
I'm in that minority with you Searing. Fully agree with the above.
Kevin Corrigan agrees with us for what it's worth :D
Very good article below by him.

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/gaa/1 ... ments.html

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

I agree with you as well games are ment to be played
Not just analysed in the media room!
I'm sure 15 fringe players would jump at the chance to play in the county jersey .
Remember these games are sanctioned by the Leinster
Council so are not friendlies.
People forget that .
Keep warm peep's 👍

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Thanks for the support. I will keep an eye on how Offaly footballers perform in the League. Away to Antrim in the opening game.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

I find it hard to believe there’s any Offaly supporter out there who genuinely believes we should’ve played this fixture.

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/gaa/1 ... e-cup.html

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Howld on. On average, one quarter of the club footballers in Offaly last played a match on weekend 27/28 August, while one half last played on weekend 10/11 September, and those from beaten county finalists last played on weekend 24/25 September. Drafting in lads who fit that criteria, at a few days notice and with no conditioning done, is only inviting injuries to occur. Their clubs would be dead impressed with that.

Drafting in those lads to fulfil a fixture would be to disrespect the competition.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

certainly dont agree with drafting in players at any time to play any game, be it this O'Byrne cup final or the prodigal son (or daughter) who hasnt been involved all year and when the team get to a semi final, all bets are off and the chairmans granny might even be listed on the matchday programme :? ...that day is gone and should stay gone, too many walk away when they seen that happening in all clubs..yes, winning is they most important thing (apparently taking part is when that narrative suits) but bringing in players outside current squad is as POH said disrespectful and not a road to go down...not that they did go down that road...thank God.

I think with an extended squad which I assume wouuld be still more or less in place, that the game could have beeen played at somestage, Leinster council agreed apparently to move but Louth wouldnt, thats as I understand what happened, some are giving out about Louth but maybe they have their own reasons too for not wanting to move the fixture..