Minors hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by Onionbag »

Exactly. Ravenhill is one for the future

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The team showed composure beyond their years. When Dublin went 1-5 to 0-4 there was never a sense of panic, they kept going as normal.
They tightened up in the backs and any chances or scores that Dublin created after that were usually under pressure.

The option taking was very good too. Looking up, assessing the best option using the width of the pitch and not the blind driving of yore.

The Leinster final against Laoighis will be a big test. Offaly edged them out earlier but their wins over Wexford and Kilkenny will no doubt have brought them on. They've spent big on this group and the big hitters in their management set up will be putting in some serious analysis into how they'll handle Offaly in the final.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Onionbag wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:01 pm Exactly. Ravenhill is one for the future
The future is now and there is a mountain to be scaled in 8 days!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:56 am
Onionbag wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:01 pm Exactly. Ravenhill is one for the future
The future is now and there is a mountain to be scaled in 8 days!
Whoever wins the final, it will be good for Leinster hurling. Good luck to Offaly minors.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Hopefully we get the win If we don't do we go to the quarter final or what way does it work

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The Minor back door consists of a round robin with Galway and the Munster runners up. Two advance to the All-Ireland semi-finals.
greenairfield wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:59 pm Hopefully we get the win If we don't do we go to the quarter final or what way does it work
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

Beating laois is the way to go. Galway very strong at minor level

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:54 am The team showed composure beyond their years. When Dublin went 1-5 to 0-4 there was never a sense of panic, they kept going as normal.
They tightened up in the backs and any chances or scores that Dublin created after that were usually under pressure.

The option taking was very good too. Looking up, assessing the best option using the width of the pitch and not the blind driving of yore.

The Leinster final against Laoighis will be a big test. Offaly edged them out earlier but their wins over Wexford and Kilkenny will no doubt have brought them on. They've spent big on this group and the big hitters in their management set up will be putting in some serious analysis into how they'll handle Offaly in the final.
Great to see such a big crowd at the game too. Made for a great atmosphere

Bord na Mona man
All Star

The coin toss has been done and Maryborough is the venue.
I don't think the venue was going to be a big advantage factor either way though.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:43 pm The coin toss has been done and Maryborough is the venue.
I don't think the venue was going to be a big advantage factor either way though.
It should be a good match. Hope Offaly can do it.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I would say since minor has gone to U17 this has the
possibility of being the highest attended stand alone minor fixture that has been played.

Both teams on a crest of a wave expecting to win. Both counties crying out for hurling provincial silverware after 22 and 39 years.

There could be 10,000 at this.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Saturday was one of the most enjoyable days I’ve had following Offaly. A really proud day.

I really like the look of this team, a nice mix of style and substance. And while we can marvel at the wonderful scoretaking, you can’t overstate the value of Offaly put opponents out over the sideline with thumping, perfectly executed side-on dunts. There’s more to tackling than hooking and blocking.

Again, Offaly’s forward shape offers maximum space to Screeney and Rigney. The high fetching was impressive. It wasn’t a perfect performance, but what impressed was the conviction to win the ball back when they did give it away.

So once more into the breach in a week’s time. The extra two days is probably no harm at all, with some dual players in action on Wednesday evening. Going to Portlaoise isn’t a problem. Indeed, I believe it puts a little pressure back on Laois. Portlaoise isn’t exactly Galatasaray, the journey won’t take several hours, and it’s not like soccer where the away team plays a more conservative style than the home team.

And while Offaly have been impressive, Laois’ recent form with wins over Wexford and Kilkenny should see them trade as favourites. I’m guessing they simply didn’t show up in Tullamore last month, because there’s no way that performance would have beaten Wexford and Kilkenny. Quite likely Tullamore was their ‘wake up’ call. And anyway, you learn more in defeat than in victory.

Saturday was a great day to be alive and in Tullamore.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:43 pm The coin toss has been done and Maryborough is the venue.
Oh where’s that? Thought it was fixed for O’Moore Park, Portlaoise!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:22 pm I would say since minor has gone to U17 this has the
possibility of being the highest attended stand alone minor fixture that has been played.

Both teams on a crest of a wave expecting to win. Both counties crying out for hurling provincial silverware after 22 and 39 years.

There could be 10,000 at this.
Offaly minors won the Leinster Minor, and U 21 hurling titles in 2000. I think they beat Wexford in minor, and Kilkenny at U 21 grade. Someone might confirm. It would be nice to win another title on Monday night.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Beat Dublin in the Leinster 2000 minor hurling final in Croke Park.