Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

Post by SearingDrive »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:58 am Decent performance yesterday, however, not without its flaws, particularly in the first half.
Think we led 10-3 at halftime, comfortable enough if you weren't at it which I guess is the case for many of you?

No, Wicklow kicked 4 very poor wides and a few others also that would have left it interesting.
We were standing off, and not taking responsibility for tracking runners and fell off a few tackles.

Much better in the second half. On the players, Wicklow won a decent share of ball into their full forward line and full back line under a little pressure at times, Maloney played really well at centre back and keep up this level Johnny as really dominated and carried the ball out well. Jordan Hayes , superb performance and with his level of effort matched throughout the field we stand a chance of progression. Completely emptied the tank yesterday. Forwards, Niall was very good, Keith O'Neill grew into the game, particularly in the second half, Ruairi Mc similar to Keith. Bill Carroll, decent but more in him and needs to do more on the breaks. Paddy Dunican pulled off a super save with only 6 pts in it and kicked well also. Great to see him signing autographs for 15 mins after the game, he's the potential to be bit of a cult hero and if he can inspire a few more keepers at club level that would be great.

But happy enough with it and a nice draw for the next round but Lord above, don't let us be the ones to give the red carpet treatment to NY. By all means wine and dine them throughout the town on Sat night and get them down to the "Pull Inn" but this is a great chance to build momentum as Maughan said. Keep the focus and lets get the crowd out on Sunday!
I hope we move the ball a bit faster v New York the next day.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

20 Euro admission Saturday is too much in my opinion for a 2nd tier competition 1/4 final. This Tailteann Cup should be a tenner in up until the semi's.
People are also complaining about the 25 Euro admission for round 1 of the qualifiers in the All Ireland.
It's all ok if you have the money but jeeez for the 2nd tier competition keep it reasonable lads ffs.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

That would be me that researched the old lineouts back as far as I could go. Another fella looks after the technical side of things because I know nothing about computers. Bit like, I’m driving a car for over 30 years and I don’t know how that works either!

I’ve been thinking about the Tailteann Cup, and I’d be of the school of thought that Tailteann Cup games wouldn’t count as championship appearances, given the competition is not the principal championship in football and is entirely separate to the championship currently running.

Which is what makes it different to the McDonagh, Ring, Rackard and Meagher cups in hurling as they are the main championships for the counties involved.

I believe the Tailteann cup is more akin to subsidiary competitions like the Tommy Murphy cup and Grounds Tournament in football, and the Oireachtas competition in hurling, none of which are included in the appearances database.

The appearance data for the above competitions, as well as the Walsh and O’Byrne cups, is available to me, so in the event information is required, this can be accessed.

And thank you for the kind comments.
NewEra wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:59 pm Well done to the lads today. Never in doubt. Hopefully can play with a bit more abandon the next day and quicken things a little between defence and attack.

Quick comment and question. Whoever has compiled the football and hurling appearances on this site should be commended (plainoftheherbs - I’m guessing yourself!?) a great resource and record to keep. Just wondering are the Tailteann cup being counted as championship appearance? I see Niall Mc has gone third overall, surpassing Ciaran McManus - I wonder does he have it in the locker to hunt down #1 spot
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

bracknaghboy wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:39 pm 20 Euro admission Saturday is too much in my opinion for a 2nd tier competition 1/4 final. This Tailteann Cup should be a tenner in up until the semi's.
People are also complaining about the 25 Euro admission for round 1 of the qualifiers in the All Ireland.
It's all ok if you have the money but jeeez for the 2nd tier competition keep it reasonable lads ffs.
Jesus, that’s expensive. As a point of reference tickets were available for the Heineken Cup final at the weekend for as low as €19 per adult.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:39 pm Jesus, that’s expensive. As a point of reference tickets were available for the Heineken Cup final at the weekend for as low as €19 per adult.
When you consider that a fill of petrol or diesel is costing around 20 Euro more today than it did this time last year it's easy to see how people will think twice about paying 20 Euro into a Tailteann Cup 1/4 final.
I suppose to be fair the GAA needs the cash to fund the salaries of those slithering around the GPA top table (aka 'key management personnel'). In 2019 alone 10 of them shared out 742k among themselves. Not bad for travelling around the country talking about the importance of protein bars.......it's all about the protein bars :lol:

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Not sure I follow your logic about tailteann cup and the difference between the hurling tiers, Plain. In my opinion, it most definitely is championship, in the same way that Joe Mc and Christy ring is also championship in hurling.

Thank you for the endless hours you have put into what is a fantastic resource.

Faithful follower
Junior B
Club: Dublin

Post by Faithful follower »

Very good result last Sunday, a win by eight points and a back to back win . Let’s hope we can keep this going. All line of the team did well and you would have to mention anton who took the fight to Wicklow on his own from the start. We still have glaring weakness of standing off our opponent and allowing them to get marks on full forwards line , players making space as opposed to opponent. Our half forward line are having to cover too much ground and this weakened our attack potential, it’s seem management are insisting on this policy I would estimate the half forward line may be covering up to 10k plus in any match, I see young carroll at one stage blocked a certain goal in our square and a short time later was on the edge of Wicklow square for an attack. As someone previously said our attacking play is too slow and we don’t seem to attack unless we are supported by our backs . This game is ridiculous, it seems now if you want to see enjoyable football you have to watch ladies football as the managers in the male game have destroyed our game . Getting back to Offaly we should take care of NY but with our setup and game plan I can’t see any future victories this year.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Faithful follower wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:30 am Very good result last Sunday, a win by eight points and a back to back win . Let’s hope we can keep this going. All line of the team did well and you would have to mention anton who took the fight to Wicklow on his own from the start. We still have glaring weakness of standing off our opponent and allowing them to get marks on full forwards line , players making space as opposed to opponent. Our half forward line are having to cover too much ground and this weakened our attack potential, it’s seem management are insisting on this policy I would estimate the half forward line may be covering up to 10k plus in any match, I see young carroll at one stage blocked a certain goal in our square and a short time later was on the edge of Wicklow square for an attack. As someone previously said our attacking play is too slow and we don’t seem to attack unless we are supported by our backs . This game is ridiculous, it seems now if you want to see enjoyable football you have to watch ladies football as the managers in the male game have destroyed our game . Getting back to Offaly we should take care of NY but with our setup and game plan I can’t see any future victories this year.
Offaly can win the game, but should be more attack minded. The prize is a Tailteann Cup semi final, maybe a final awaits. Go for it.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

New York will have to deal with the travel and time difference.

Also, is there any sense that some of their team may not be willing to leave the USA because of visa issues?
When New York beat Derry in the 2006 Ulster championship there were several of their team that didn't want to travel and so they didn't come over to play Antrim.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:23 pm New York will have to deal with the travel and time difference.

Also, is there any sense that some of their team may not be willing to leave the USA because of visa issues?
When New York beat Derry in the 2006 Ulster championship there were several of their team that didn't want to travel and so they didn't come over to play Antrim.
It’s always hanging there like a storm cloud. Will have to see who shows up. Am thinking they’ll hold that info back. Was hard to find out anything about the team prior to the Sligo game.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:23 pm New York will have to deal with the travel and time difference.

Mick McDonagh might have a few tips for John Maughan, from his trip to the Big Apple.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:52 pm That would be me that researched the old lineouts back as far as I could go. Another fella looks after the technical side of things because I know nothing about computers. Bit like, I’m driving a car for over 30 years and I don’t know how that works either!

I’ve been thinking about the Tailteann Cup, and I’d be of the school of thought that Tailteann Cup games wouldn’t count as championship appearances, given the competition is not the principal championship in football and is entirely separate to the championship currently running.

Which is what makes it different to the McDonagh, Ring, Rackard and Meagher cups in hurling as they are the main championships for the counties involved.

I believe the Tailteann cup is more akin to subsidiary competitions like the Tommy Murphy cup and Grounds Tournament in football, and the Oireachtas competition in hurling, none of which are included in the appearances database.

The appearance data for the above competitions, as well as the Walsh and O’Byrne cups, is available to me, so in the event information is required, this can be accessed.

And thank you for the kind comments.
NewEra wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:59 pm Well done to the lads today. Never in doubt. Hopefully can play with a bit more abandon the next day and quicken things a little between defence and attack.

Quick comment and question. Whoever has compiled the football and hurling appearances on this site should be commended (plainoftheherbs - I’m guessing yourself!?) a great resource and record to keep. Just wondering are the Tailteann cup being counted as championship appearance? I see Niall Mc has gone third overall, surpassing Ciaran McManus - I wonder does he have it in the locker to hunt down #1 spot

I respectfully disagree with that line of thought re Taitleann Cup appearances. I wonder how any player on the panel would feel about their ongoing efforts being thought of as such?
Taitleann Cup appearances should as championship appearances, in my opinion.

Thanks a million for the ongoing efforts with the database. Unbelievable resource and much appreciated.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Offaly had a comfortable win today. They are in the semi final draw on Monday morning.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Great to get back to Croke Park for the lads.

Sligo, Westmeath and Cavan possible opponents in tomorrow's draw.

Hoping for a Sligo draw, they won't fear us either.

Hoping the wicklow and NY game don't make us a sitting duck the next day as they were too comfortable wins with not much intensity, different proposition the next day.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Must admit I wasn’t over the moon about the Tailteann cup but for the team now and the development a minimum of 4 games is great. Let’s hope they keep it going.

I know playing in Croke Park is fantastic but if we get our close neighbours a toss of the coin and a full house would surely be better, won’t happen though.

Cavan definitely the favourites for the competition but if we go out and play our best we can give it a good go.