U-21 Football

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

U-21 Football

Post by Lone Shark »

Anyone able to shed some light on how our lineout is progressing in training, challenges etc? (Obviously I'm hoping for some light from themanfromferbane mainly, but anyone with any insight is welcome!

We have the same somewhat simian management in charge, but the personnel is very encouraging, with Sullivan, Kiely, Casey, Cassidy and Keane from the backs and the two Coughlans, Deehan, McNamee, Guinan and Egan from the forwards all likely to feature in one form or another for the seniors this year. Granted our record at this level since 1995 is woeful to say the least, but they surely must be in with a shout.

The reason I ask is that Ladbrokes are gone 14/1 about them to win Leinster in this grade. For a man with my betting background, I'm getting slightly excited. Obviously I'll await further verdict before really going to town.....

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Whisper it, but we look to have a good U21 football team this year.
Though I'm certain in the last few years, every one of us has looked at an Offaly U21 panel and thought they were strong...only to see them whipped.
I suppose underage football can be similar to club football. Your big names don't necessarily win you the matches, but the passengers and make weights sure as hell can lose it for you.
We have more players with county experience than usual. Which in theory is a good thing, though it could also point to a lack of talent at senior level in the county.
As Coach Timmy Ryan in D'Unbelievables said "I don't know lads, I just don't know!"

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Good to be back after the exams, now operating under the constraints of a 56k modem though!! Here's hoping Brian Cowen brings that broadband in ASAP!!!

Down to the reply-(note the use of they and their, im not presuming anything!!)

I can't really tell you much more than you already know, we had our last trial game on sunday the 30th and the panel is being named now and they have their first official training session on Wednesday. You are going to have the usual suspects (i.e the guys in with the seniors) and then after that its still kinda up in the air. The lads who were up north on saturday weren't playin at the trails and there has been no "Just U21 training sessions" yet. However a good few of us have been in training with the seniors, so the core bunch of lads are well on the way to fitness. As for the other lads its hard to judge. There is some really good football being played at the trials which is a good sign, quick movment out of the backs and then quick low ball into the forwards.

At the risk of him seeing this and getting a big head I'll just say that one player to really watch is Sean Ryan from Birr. Like yee I didn't know much about him at the start of the year but I've been in with a few sessions with him and he really impresses each time. He's a small fast corner forward who is well able to take a point and a goal and fights for every ball put into him, he is a midfielders and a backs dream because the ball doesn't have to be inch perfect. He looks really promising so if he can adjust to the pace and the strength of the U21 county game and is able to keep his feet on the ground he should be really good this year, but lets not put too much pressure on the lad, he is still young (not sure what age exactly)

So basically I dont have much news for you, if I make the panel I will let you know what it looks like and keep you updated with progress.

On a side note, ive been in training with the seniors and the mood is really good, its hard work but everyone is putting in the effort and encouraging others, its a real good experiance for me to get in with the lads and see the hard work that everyone puts into training at that level.

Loughers
All Star

U-21

Post by Loughers »

Sean Ryan is 18 from a few months ago. Doing the leaving this year. Problem is there is no interest in football in Birr. I think we're gone junior this year.

Bogman
All Star

Kilkenny This Saturday Feb 26?

Post by Bogman »

I heard the Under 21 Match with Kilkenny has been brought forward to Sat Feb 26? If true, it would mean that Offaly could pick a side without worrying about the Seniors playing the following day.

Anyway, whichever Saturday we are playing, I am looking forward to seeing the line-up - 14/1 with Ladbrokes looks really tasty!!
BOGMAN

Lone Shark
All Star

yk

Post by Lone Shark »

I believe these lads had a challenge match on Saturday morning - I didn't hear anything about it though. Anyone go, or hear anything?

gogo1
Junior C

Post by gogo1 »

I believe that offaly beat Galway by 3 points. Didnt hear anything else.....yet!!!

Lone Shark
All Star

Beat Galway by three

Post by Lone Shark »

That's very decent form. Time to go get my betting shovel again..... :D

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Well Lads, sorry I can't help you out with anymore information, im no longer on the inside if you get my drift :( I got the old heave-ho last thursday and have been in hiding ever since. According to one of the lads they had a bad first half but a very good second half, probably can be explained by the fact they havent played too many games together. but its def worth a punt at 14-1 id say.

Lone Shark
All Star

n

Post by Lone Shark »

Hard luck with that MFF. :( The main thing now is to blame it on a pro-Rhode bias and store up that resentment for the summer!

I wasn't sure if I was going to make the trip to Urlingford, but I got a request to go for the local rag, so it seems I'm heading down. (You're welcome to a lift if you want to travel y'self!) In one sense it's no challenge, but another game gelling together will probably be no harm. I wouldn't mind having a look at my investment anyway! :P

Anyone else making the spin? - It's not actually as far as I thought - I'd say feck all over an hour should do it.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Dont think you're going to learn much about the team or how they are shaping up really looking at this match. It will only be a shade of the team they will put out against Meath I'd imagine. I think the Galway match was your best bet.

Lone Shark
All Star

And so it proved

Post by Lone Shark »

Most assuredly learned nothing - Kilkenny were utterly inept. Without doubt the worst adult intercounty team I've ever seen by along chalk.

To be honest it defeats the purpose of them entering in this competition if they're not going to prepare properly, and these lads were unfit and unable to play together.

Two of them had been rung the night before and asked to turn up, or so I was told - though I would make allowances for a little bit of purple monkey dishwasher there.

Offaly looked fine, but a good club U-21 side would have done that much to them.