League & Championship hurling 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joe bloggs
All Star

Re: League & Championship hurling 2022

Post by joe bloggs »

It's all just semantics really wether you call it Senior B or Intermediate. It is the second tier of hurling in the county plain and simple.
We should have championships with 8 teams per grade based on the current standards in Offaly.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Most teams in senior b would like to win it without having to go back up to senior A.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

joe bloggs wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:09 am It's all just semantics really wether you call it Senior B or Intermediate. It is the second tier of hurling in the county plain and simple.
We should have championships with 8 teams per grade based on the current standards in Offaly.
Disagree with regards Senior hurling. I think we can carry 10 Senior teams. No one has looked seriously out of their depth this year.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

greenairfield wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:31 am What senior b had done has highlighted the work that needs to be done in clubs like,
Drumcullen
Clara
Tullamore
Lusmagh

Then you have shamrocks and Carrig in intermediate.

All these teams are there first teams but nowhere near ready for senior level I thought CG would be destroyed coming up senior but the way they are set up they have actually done quiet well.
To scrap senior b would be an awful mistake it's just covering over the cracks in the clubs above is all when kk and birr second string are beating some of them.
Clodiagh Gaels have competed well this year, but have no points after 4 games. They haven’t scored a goal in their games. They face a relegation match v Coolderry or Seir Kieran.
I think a further year at Senior A will benefit their development, playing a higher standard of hurling. Nothing assured, but they need to raise a few green flags to improve their scoring rate.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I'm not so sure about that. I recall uproar from the clubs earlier this year when the chairman proposed 'no promotion' from Senior B this year, and was eventually forced to back down.
private joker wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:49 am Most teams in senior b would like to win it without having to go back up to senior A.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It's a tricky one. Maybe you have to win the championship twice? Like if lusma were to go up or tullamore without their duals, get absolutely hammered.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Huge result for Kinnity.

Makes no difference to Rynaghs or Kilcormac. They both through to knockout.

But if Kinnity draw or beat Birr they finish 3rd and knock Them out...

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

Still fancy Banagher to top it.

Belmont to top groub B.
Oisin Kelly back training this week too

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

So In Group 1 it’s Kinnitty or Birr locked into 3rd spot with winners of K/K and St Rynaghs going straight to semi-final.

In Group 2 it’s almost certain that Ballinamere are locked in to 3rd spot so winners of Shinrone and Belmont to win group. Shinrone would probably have to lose by 8 points to drop to 3rd spot.

So possible Q-Finals:
Shinrone vs Birr
St Rynaghs vs Ballinamere.

Belmont and K/K to go straight to semis.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Could fall lots of ways for quarters and semi's etc. Beyond that, can only see a winner coming from KK, Rynaghs and a possibility of Shinrone sneaking in there too. Think there is something different about Shinrone in last year or so that we have not seen previously. Showing a bit more steel than in previous times.

Outside of these, for me, Ballinamere dont have the depth just yet. Lots of talent yes but hurling wise, they probably dont have squad depth of hurling talent of a KK or Rynaghs or Shinrone at the moment. They might have in two or three years but not just yet for me, and are generally reliant on lads who are still very young and just finding feet at this level. Next year, Dan Ravenhill and maybe one or two more will be added to the mix and rest will be a year older, more experienced and year stronger. They are going in right direction and could easily make a semi which is huge progress but I don't see them going past a semi for now. That's not to say they couldn't be winning a championship in 2 or 3 years time. Certainly moving in right direction it appears.

Belmont going very well too, but feel their football team and every second week nature of it will hold them back hurling wise when push comes to shove. Very hard to do both to the level of winning a championship which they are in contention to do in both. Birr or Kinnity just shown themselves so far to not being at the level to win championship I feel either. Disappointed in Birr to be honest as would have reckoned that they were coming with something this year. That said, no 2nd place team will want Birr in a quarter final if they get there.
jimbob

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Some will say the following is a rant and sour grapes, far far from it, as a man who loves my hurling, club and county, and if I could still go out and play at competitive level I would, I miss and rue the day I quit hurling but could not hack the carry on anymore. I think senior B should never have been done away with almost 25 years or near since it was before being brought back in in recent years. I was a moderate but committed hurler and we trained with senior A's and there were no hiding places in training with top club and county players around you, it brings out the best in most hurlers having to up the ante in such training matches and the senior A's (at that time) didnt mind us training with them. Once it was scrapped, intermediate and Junior came in, the intermediates (while many will say is same as senior B) seemed to gel a very good panel together, the rest of us were farmed down to junior, given our own training night, for which turned out to be a pure joke almost, as lads started treating junior as a joke, all the committed ones out training and then come match day the uncommitted ones and the intermediates who were not getting game time were played, the rest of us fell somewhere in the middle of all that, with work and getting abit more older and wiser, many of us decided this was, I wont say a waste of time, but very unfair. One by one we all (most of us anyway) quit, not willingly but it was not been taken seriously from what we could see. The poor performances on match days by our juniors were quickly explained with tales of late nights by the part timers (if they went home at all) the night before games, it was all a laugh then, and not a colour of them until the next match. I know things have tightened up alot in most clubs now and you are either in our out, and rightly so. Regarding increasing the Offaly senior A to 10, yes it could be done, but adding 2 more teams to be cannon fodder almost for the stronger teams will not do much for Offaly hurling, club or county. Teams winning senior B now one year and instantly down again the next year, is not ideal either, where is the happy medium I hear being asked I dont know. But the least of of qualifying for the senior B should be promotion to A for both teams and winning team are county B champions, one team coming up is very unfair to the losing finalist, who get absolutely nothing for qualifying in what might be their only defeat all year. Anyway, my view are not necessarily right, just my oppinion from someone who did hurl and loved and still loves the game.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Seen a different shineone the lat year or two?..they lost to coolderry last year literally shit the togs as usual.
If anything they are gone back from last year.
Across the board the championship is poor with no team apart from Rynaghs on there day looking above the rest.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

How many seasons in a row is it now that Shinrone lost their first knockout game?

I think they last won a knockout game in 2012 (beat Seir Kieran 0-15 to 1-07.

Which means they have lost their first knockout game in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Hard trust them when you see it outlined like that.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

while maybe not as many knockout games but i remember K/K losing many semi finals and the odd final before eventually getting over the line, they were viewed in much the same light back at the time as Shinrone are now the last few years, now KK are one of the title contenders every year. Shinrone were shooting the lights out other years in the group games, maybe they might get that balance right this year and at least move on a stage from other years..who knows...

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

I think Belmont and Rynaghs will top groups.

Luke O Connor due back from America for Rynagh's will be big boost to them.

Shinrone could surprise everyone and make a final....