League & Championship hurling 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: League & Championship hurling 2022

Post by Fairplayalways »

private joker wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:34 pm Birr battled well but too little too late. Kk to dominate offaly for next couple of years. Don't think kk will do a whole pile outside of offaly unless they are going to come up with a better style of hurling.
Was travelling and listening to Birr match live on R103 Facebook page, Birrs form of the championship was laid bare here despite some on here thinking the win over Ballinamere was a timed run in the championship, the commentary laid bare Birrs form and I won't reiterate it here after they losing, and as poor as they were only 2 subs or something was made, the commentary team could not understand how some were left on the field all game, KK were clinical without being brilliant, and thinking the game was up Birr pulled closer in final minutes but never looked like getting the scores required and missed a penalty for good measure. Shinrone would not have minded Birr winning today that's for sure, KK will be favourites now for final and deservedly so, unbeaten to date, Shinrone do have a chance though, if they are up for it.. I predicted KK to win 0-20 to 1-14, wasn't far off at 1-18 to 0-17, I predicted Belmont to beat Shinrone 1-18 to 1-16, but did throw in Shinrone might win by a late goal..not bad if I might say so myself.. I will have to give the final some thought now :wink:

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Its simple Birr have a team that show up some days that look good and the other team dont show up and are as bad as anyone in the championship dreadful!

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Birr were absolutely brutal all over. Their touch was so bad in first half coming out of defence. Someone here was talking about Mullins being “the quarterback” of the team - I couldn’t understand why he kept hitting his full back line in the first half and they coughed up possession and KK punished them. Healion set up 1-2 in first half with good ball played into him. Cahill offered nothing from open play, missed frees and drilled penalty over the bar when they needed a goal. KK experience stood to them some great displays from their older players.

Faithful Future
Junior B

Post by Faithful Future »

It's hard to see anything but a Kilcormac/Killoughey win in a couple of weeks time. Shinrone were disappointing for most of the game on Sunday but it just goes to show that if you can hang in games, you stand a chance.

I think Belmont have to be considered a top 4 team now and really have to push onto a final next year.

Congratulations also to Tullamore and Shamrocks on their respective wins. I think the Blues will struggle at senior A next year as they are still reliant on Dooley and Kelly but a year at the grade will do them no harm.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

[/quote]
Was travelling and listening to Birr match live on R103 Facebook page, Birrs form of the championship was laid bare here despite some on here thinking the win over Ballinamere was a timed run in the championship, the commentary laid bare Birrs form and I won't reiterate it here after they losing, and as poor as they were only 2 subs or something was made, the commentary team could not understand how some were left on the field all game,
[/quote]

I think the less said about the co-commentator the better. I have a feeling that Radio3 may not be inviting him back for the final. Very critical of the Birr management, including their training sessions and tactics - especially the "handpassing", as well as their players - "men against chaps" as he put it. Having someone from one of the competing clubs is a tricky one to get right from a co-comms point of view - sometimes you get a decent person who can add some insight into what is going on in the game, and other times you get a lad on who might as well be leaning over the railing on the hill shouting and roaring or just plain giving out and coming across as a curmudgeon.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Who was doing the co commentary? He was very bad. Like a bitter aul lad.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

to be brutally honest I dont know, Paddy someone I think, i stand corrected he was with Joe Troy, bad or bitter, he was fairly correct from talking to a Shinrone person who while acknowledging Shinrone were lucky on Saturday after Belmont done everything bar win, Birr were brutal yesterday for 55 minutes, only 2 subs or something, surely to God they had to change things up (even if they didnt work out at least try anyway) KK won pulling up bar the last few minutes..

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

private joker wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:29 pm Who was doing the co commentary? He was very bad. Like a bitter aul lad.
The one and only Paddy Kirwan.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Well he was honest by all accounts, interestingly he said Birr emerged from the dressing room after half time in spurts, no charging out in defiance that we can do this etc.. they ran out in the same manner in which they left at half time, God be with the days they would bring the door frame out on their shoulders almost..

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

I only heard him for little bit. Talking about hitting lads and refs too soft , indicating that refs in offaly are soft and that was the reason offaly are where they are.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Junior B & senior final double header on Sunday Oct 2nd

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

private joker wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:51 pm I only heard him for little bit. Talking about hitting lads and refs too soft , indicating that refs in offaly are soft and that was the reason offaly are where they are.
Needed to be heard in context of play as things happened, he just didn't say lads should be going around hitting lads etc. He did say Killian Kiely was the only man on the field who "wanted the game" and said he said someone will have to try and bring him back into the Offaly set up and I agree with him and that, like him or loath him one cannot deny he has what many involved have not, the only reason he would not be involved in any other county is because they would have more or equivalent players to him, we have no one with his drive and menace.. People will disagree but game after game he delivers for KK, on a bad day the even win with him mostly, he will carry a battle to any opposition, ref was blowing for stuff Sunday that would be be let go but noted in the likes of Limerick and Kilkenny..maybe we are "too nice"...

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

As Anthony Daly always says " players have to want to play" does kiely want to play for offaly on a regular, consistent basis?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I was going to address that matter in my earlier post, but didnt want to go down that road but ultimately was lead down that road now, so be it, its only a question, but abit like the time it was asked at a county Boad meeting (prior to current administration being in place) was a certain prominent GAA figuure asked to manage Offaly after he bypassed us for another county, there was great shrugging of shoulders and scratching of heads at county board level as to whos job it was to approach that manager. They categorically stateed that they were unsure as to whos job that would be (to ask).The same needs be done with players like Killian Kiely, why dont they want to play for Offaly, in fairness to the chap he gave sterlinng service the years he was involved (one swallow doesnt make a summer before anyone asks what di we actually win with him on board) If he is saying no (after being pressed fair enough) or are we abit aloof in that "oh he doesnt want to play I/we wont be running after him) that may or may not be the reasonn he is not playing, I have no afffilation with the chap or his club at all, but Offaly need to be doing all they can to get players like him involved/back involved if at all possible, if they have tried and he has refused fine, if not, it might be worth trying, other counties have a few players of his drive, we dont thats why if possible we need him. I know he may have moved on personally regarding his own life and thats fair enough too.

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

In Kielys case he has a young family and was in the process of building/buying a house. Inter County GAA is a second full time job for very little reward these days. Especially in smaller counties like Offaly where the prospects for success are small and people constantly sniping at you or harping back to the good old days. I've seen current and former intercounty players come into the pub for a pint in December and January and the barstool merchants whispering behind their back or getting onto them. The same guys who wouldn't hit it out of their way. I would never blame anyone for not committing.