National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

Post by Bord na Mona man »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:43 pm As it stands

Cork really should be there for the taking, especially at home
Obviously, the bookies have taken the view that Offaly will see off Cork in two weeks time.
The more I see of Cork, the worse they look and it's hard to believe they beat Kerry in late 2020.

However, Offaly still have to beat them and that is by no means certain. We're well used to single score relegation nail biters at this stage.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Too right with that last point Bracknaghboy, and if they do turn up, don't be whinging over every stray pass and misplaced kick.

This is Div 2 and the lads are in shocking hard luck that they are not on 4 points and Meath on three, with Offaly having the benefit of the head to head wins against both Meath and Down.

It is what it is now and we would have taken hands off to be in this position 3 weeks ago.
It does appear that Cork may have been targetting the home game v Down and beating us in that they were so poor yesterday, I don't know.

Keith Ricken is a good underage coach in terms of the skills and the mentality of looking after young players and ensuring they enjoy the game, but the ruthless dogged approach needed at senior level...well, it may take time.

Effectively it looks like a shoot out with Cork, but sure we've seen what a vocal support can do against the Rossies!
Fair play to the lads, and the management, and lets hope that Tomas O Se is having an impact and that this can continue through these last 2 games.
See ye there lads, bikes etc can be prepared for the trip to save on the fuel costs, and bring yer own sambos and flasks to further reduce the costs.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

At the Down game, the scenes at the end looked great on the highlights.

I read a stat that 11 different players scored for Offaly. The crucial late scores owed a lot to defenders pushing up and taking responsibility.
In rotten monsoon conditions this shows real bravery. The easy option is to avoid going for the score and re-cycle the ball to someone else. Niall Darby's point was a particular gem under the circumstances.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Motor mouth O Rourke’s rant about how bad Cork were will no doubt rally Cork. The Roscommon game is a huge step up and no doubt they are coming with expectations of steam rolling over us.

Have to agree about the support, the Rossie’s will bring a big support, surely ta god if we care or are bothered at all we can show up and get behind the lads. These are the games we want to watch and the teams we want to play against,

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Allianz Football League Division 2 round 6 Sunday 20th March
Cork v Down, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, 1pm -for a change Offaly arent in the "basement battle"...this will be a close game, Cork will be desperate to get a win here and at home surely have to go all out here as their lifelines are almost gone. Down will wonder how they lost to Offaly and will be smarting from that..Down appear to be that small bit more competitive at the moment - Down 2-11 Cork 1-11
Derry v Galway, Owenbeg, 1pm - top of table clash I think Galway might sneak a win here - Galway 0-15 Derry 0-14 (or a draw)
Clare v Meath, Cusack Park, Ennis, 2pm - a tough game to call - Clare have tapered off somewhat after a promising start to Div 2 - Meath scored well to win against Cork last day out - but that is taking Cork to be so poor. Clare didnt score too well against Galway but I go for Clare to win here at home - only just Clare 0-12 Meath 0-11 (or a draw)
Offaly v Roscommon, Bord na Mona O'Connor Park, 2pm - probably hard to see Offaly winning here at home against Roscommon. That said our scoring has improved (and performances) and we certainly can give this a go and who knows. Roscommon drawing with Derry is giving us notice of the there or there abouts of Roscommon in this Division. Offaly will certainly battle, but cant see it being enough - Roscommon 2-18 Offaly 0-14

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Great to see a relatively youthful team get a result, the half back line in particular made up of predominantly young lads

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Fairplayalways,

To give you your dues, your score predictions have been fairly close to the mark, particularly the week before last.
Might hit for the bookies with them!

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

I think Cork will beat Down on Sunday………..
wouldn’t rule out Meath taking something out of Clare game
Derry/Galway is hard to call but just to call it one way, I’m going for a one point Derry win.
Unfortunately, I think we’ll do well to be within 4 points of the rossies ☹️☹️
Doon exile....

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

From a Ros point of view, this game looked like a banker after Rounds 1 and two, but it has all the hallmarks of a banana skin today. Offaly have upped their scoring last two games, and have pace and runners from deep that never suits us. We were operating on a makeshift midfield this past few years, but finally look like a solid platform in Harney and Nolan. Our forwards have been decent so far, with Cox due a big performance, but if it's as tight as I expect on the home straight I think we may have stronger options off the bench to see it through.

We haven't forgotten August!!!

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

John Maughan, Tomas O Se, WTF! So much wrong with today from Offaly perspective. Played with extra man for about 55 minutes and got absolutely rinsed. Men against boys and by all accounts, Roscommon were a good bit off full strength. Don't tell me a couple of Offaly men could not get more from this group than we got today. It was as bad as I have seen in a very long time.
jimbob

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Aye, it's the lack of offaly lads in mgt , that's the reason for offalys woes.

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Awful lack of ambition, playing with one, and sometimes two, sweepers against 14 men. So often in the 2nd half it looked like Offaly were the team a man down.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

I suspect Offaly already had their eye on next Sunday which is a cup final against Cork.
A win today for Offaly would still have left them with potential relegation next weekend.

That said, in then second half playing with the wind and against 14 men Offaly managed 2 points in the first 25 minutes.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

private joker wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:35 pm Aye, it's the lack of offaly lads in mgt , that's the reason for offalys woes.
Justify the payment of them two lads based on today. There are plenty of able bodied fellas around that would have got way more out of that Offaly team today - and that includes the last number of years. The picking of that team and coaching leaves a lot to be desired imo. We fluked it into Div 2 last year.

Who from Offaly is involved and what have they ever done with any team ever. A starting point is knowing the club scene to get the best squad together. Do we even have that? Physically and football wise today, we were blown away against an understrength Roscommon 14 who had a man less for most of the game and were at their ease throughout.
jimbob

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Who are these able bodied people you talk about who are willing to take it on?