National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

Post by bracknaghboy »

offalyman wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:13 pm One last thing as for Niall McNamee different Gravy , he's actually playing better now then he did 5 years ago...looked super fit and sharp yesterday
I've an idea.
I think the CB should take some of the "expenses" currently being pumped into the senior backroom setup and give it to Nialler instead and get him to sign a contract until the end of the 2024 season. I really hope he stays on for next year, it's a joy to watch him action still. Be great to see him in there with a fully fit Cian Farrell around the goal.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

theres since 2006? some servant. one of the greatest forwards offaly ever produced. can be spoken in same breath as matt and mctague.

hamstrings
Junior A

Post by hamstrings »

biffinbanner wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:28 pm theres since 2006? some servant. one of the greatest forwards offaly ever produced. can be spoken in same breath as matt and mctague.
I think I remember him playing against laois in tullamore in 2003, I could be wrong

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Niall McNamee’s championship debut for Offaly came on May 25th 2003 vs Laois in Portlaoise.

To the best of my knowledge He started the game even though not named on the original 15. (A rare enough occurrence in those days).

The game finished 1-12 apiece with Laois going onto win the replay 2-10 to 0-13 a week later in a dilapidated O’Connor Park. This gave Laois their first win over Offaly in 13 years.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:59 pm Niall McNamee’s championship debut for Offaly came on May 25th 2003 vs Laois in Portlaoise.

To the best of my knowledge He started the game even though not named on the original 15. (A rare enough occurrence in those days).

The game finished 1-12 apiece with Laois going onto win the replay 2-10 to 0-13 a week later in a dilapidated O’Connor Park. This gave Laois their first win over Offaly in 13 years.
Correct Frank, Offaly were in front, but a controversial goal, it was reported on the day, from Michael Lawlor, gave The O’Moore County, a draw. Niall McNamee, still in school, lined out for Offaly. I met the said Michael, a few years later in Portarlington.
In the replay at Tullamore, a young Ross Munnelly, helped Laois beat Offaly. I think he may still be playing club football, with one of the Arles sides, Kilcruise, or Killeen.
Two players who won little in the game, apart from the honour of wearing their respective county jersies, with pride.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

frankthetank wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:59 pm Niall McNamee’s championship debut for Offaly came on May 25th 2003 vs Laois in Portlaoise.

Correct. Vinny Claffey was named to start but it was actually a management stunt to protect Niall as he was always down to start.

Offaly left it behind them the fist day in o Moore park and were well beaten in the replay in Tullamore.
Doon exile....