National leagues 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: National leagues 2022

Post by jimbob17 »

bracknaghboy wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:59 pm Hurlers
In 2021 the hurlers played 5 league and 3 Christy Ring games with an average winning margin of just over 21 points.
They would have had an overwhelming majority of the possession in these games which allowed Fennelly to implement a clear game plan.
Last year you could see the players knew what they were at and what they were supposed to do. That easier when you have 2/3 of the possession.
The biggest worry for 2022 is that the roles will be reversed and Offaly will be the team with the limited possession. In addition the physicality will be up 3 or 4 notches as will the pace of the game. Playing Sligo and Wicklow on nice sunny afternoons doing as you please is a world apart from taking on 15 wrestlers from Galway out to impress their new overlord in February.
Fennelly knows this and he and the players will have discussions about expectations and on what they are trying to achieve over the course of the 5 games.
A win somewhere along the way wouldn't be totally out of the question as Antrim have shown but it looks like a relegation playoff is on the cards.
In an ideal world this is probably too steep a jump up in terms of the teams development but alas an ideal world we do not live in.
The boys will have to get stuck in!!!

Footballers
Some say that the format helped the footballers in 2021 but it was the same for all teams in Division 3 so it's not worth looking too much into that point. I had high hopes about Division 2. Clare, Meath, Roscommon and Cork are hardly a million miles ahead of a full strength Offaly, are they?
But this year the amount of players missing is very unfortunate indeed. Cruciates, travel, army duty and unavailability will deny Maughan Eoin Carroll, Cian Farrell, Peter Cunningham, Eoin Rigney, Cian Johnson and Shane Horan.
If all were fit and available it's not out of the question that all would start. Of course you have to remember more injuries will be picked up as the campaign goes on. Overall it's not a pretty picture.
On the plus side of things Niall McNamee will be available and his nemesis Declan Hogan is performing at a frightening high standard.
Maughan liked the role Shane Horan played and I think Micky B or Conor Carroll could do that job?
Whats the word on the street folks in terms of new faces called into the panel? Any of the U20's in?
There are plenty of good footballers in Offaly and they should not be fearing these teams in Division 2 but you have to be realistic and it's worrying to see who is missing before the campaigns even begins. Staving off relegation would be one of the great achievements for the county.
On the hurling front, would like to see a couple of more young lads brought in. There is probably another one maybe from Clodiagh Gaels that should be looked at. Also think likes of Cathal O'Meara from Clara should be looked at, while Niall Houlihan from Tullamore should be brought in to the fold.

Screeney from KK should be added and maybe the Kielys could be brought back in. Rynaghs could add a few in Stephen Quirke and maybe one or two others. Beyond that, I wouldnt mess a whole lot with last years squad.

On football front, from the U20s, Cathal O Donoghue, Rory Egan, Cathal Flynn and Bryant must be brought in. There are a few more who probably have another year in U20 in the GK O'Toole, Pearson, Tynan, Cormac Egan and John Furlong who could be in a training squad for experience - but I would leave them for U20 as they have a good side again next year. I'd expect few more also to get looked at but we must remember the big jump from u20 to senior football.

From older cohort, Michael Brazil should be brought in if willing and C Burns also had great year with Tullamore. Dylan Kavanagh from Rhode could appear, while i'd also expect one or two from Durrow to appear in initial squad. I'd expect Clonbullogue to add one or two also, while Dylan Hyland made huge impact on Raheen's progress to inter final and should also be included. Conor Dunne from Ballycommon is a must have and one that should be in there but not sure of his commitment to rugby. He was one of the best young players to come through underage in last number of years and if he was from a 'Senior Club', he would be on the county senior team imo.

Clara could add another one or two maybe with their run to Leinster final and Ed Cullen probably is one of these. All in all, it becomes a fairly competitive squad, even if it may be short on experience without the lads mentioned in previous post (Carroll, Cunningham etc).
jimbob

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Less than a week out, any word on new additions to either panels?

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

BiffoInThurso wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:15 pm Less than a week out, any word on new additions to either panels?
https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/321641
Doon exile....