Offaly Hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joe bloggs
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurlers 2022

Post by joe bloggs »

[quote=Toxicity234 post_id=63526 time=1643981108
Limerick - Well Shit. it's Limerick they are flying. it's really hard to dislike the Limerick team hurling wise. no bullshit with them, Defend well.
They best example of Limerick brain power is they moved on for the small hurler thing 5 of their 6 defender play with 34 or longer hurler and Sean Finn plays with a 36 or 37. The game evolves we can follow or lead and limerick have taking over from Kilkenny as leaders.

[/quote]

I have been trying to tell young lads for ages that the small hurl is crazy.
When striking you can simply go down the grip if you fear being hooked.
When defending you can have a longer reach to get in a hook/block/flick.
Also if you are driving it long and have time, grippi g a longer hurl at full length gives more distance due to the Law of the Lever.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

sean finn no more has a 36 than the man on the moon stop talking tripe

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

greenairfield wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:00 am sean finn no more has a 36 than the man on the moon stop talking tripe
How do you know ??

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Very few hurlers use 36 or 37. I don't know exactly what size they do use but 36? Really can't see it. Unless there is some actual evidence , I call bullshit. But I stand to be corrected!! I play and I use 35. No one in my club uses more than a 35.

Toomanybluffers
Junior C

Post by Toomanybluffers »

https://www.skysports.com/gaa/hurling/n ... ow-goes-on

Evidence in here should do regarding Sean Finn

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Toomanybluffers wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:53 pm https://www.skysports.com/gaa/hurling/n ... ow-goes-on

Evidence in here should do regarding Sean Finn
That settles that argument so 😂

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Match went as expected, hopefully they can learn and head into the cork game which will be a similar result.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

17 scores, though never enough to win a game, is a decent showing given the time of year and absences. In reality galway are at worst a top 4 county and so such results showed be viewed through an appropriate lense.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Galway are definitely not a Top 4 county.

Currently at least 4 teams in Munster are ahead of them, Kilkenny and probably Dublin. Dublin comfortably beat them in the Leinster championship last year.

At best I’d rank them 7th and arguments could me made for Clare and Wexford to go ahead of them.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Limerick , Tipp , Kilkenny , Cork , Dublin definitely all ahead of Galway at the moment. Maybe Wexford too but there’s not much between Clare , Waterford & Galway. But it’s hard to tell During the league. I think come Championship the last 4 left will be Limerick , Cork , Galway and Tipp

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Galway 4-22 Offaly 0-17

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

As they did against Dublin, Offaly attempted to do the right thing. They tried to play ball, tried to hurl through the lines with supporting runs.

Galway conceded the short puckouts to the full-back, though not to the other defenders, and certainly not to the extent Dublin did in the first quarter in Birr. Where it did fall down was that too often the pass was fumbled, or not played correctly causing a contest for possession.

Given Galway’s physicality, Offaly could ill afford to be creating contests, and the support needed to be better when a collision was imminent. While Offaly had the stiff wind behind them in the first half, going long with the puckout wasn’t really an option, not with Pádraic Mannion and Gearóid McInerney in the half-back line. And with Offaly movements breaking down, the forwards were starved.

As with Dublin, Galway were playing a different game at a different level. But then, Galway isn’t he yardstick Offaly are going to measure themselves by this year, rather it is the Joe McDonagh opposition in April and May. And yesterday is preferable to playing Mayo and Wicklow in the league.

Now for some figures.
Prior to yesterday, the starting 15 had made 86 championship and 125 league appearances between them. That’s an average of 5.7 championship and 8 league appearances. And if we discount the three most experienced players (David King, Ben Conneely and Eoghan Cahill), the average drops to 2.7 championship and 5 league appearances.

You may recall the last year Offaly were in Division 1 (2019), they opened the campaign in Thurles with an extremely inexperienced team, one which had 138 league appearances between them. Yet of that 2019 team, only Eoghan Cahill started yesterday and he was in goal in 2019.

Looking at yesterday’s team, Jack Screeney was making his debut, four made debuts last year (K Sampson, Kelly, Murphy and O’Connor), while a further three made debuts in 2020 (Burke, Ravenhill and Fox). Meaning with Offaly having spent two years in Division 2 league and Christy Ring championship, more than half the team never previously encountered opposition of the calibre of Galway in their lives.

The point is: people are going to have to be patient with this team. The reaction of the Offaly crowd at the Dublin game was to groan at every dropped pass, something someone referred to here in the aftermath and I can’t find the post – apologies. I fear those groans will be amplified next Sunday, though I hope not.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I expect better things from Galway this year under Shefflin. If he does his job, they'll be better than Wexford, Clare and Dublin come championship.

Let's not lose patience with Offaly though. I hope the players stay listening to Fennelly's message and trying a style of play fit for the next level.
The players need to shut out the moans and groans from the traditionalists. Sunday in Birr may test this.

I remember when Stephen Cluxton first started varying his kickouts in the mid 00's. It was borne out of necessity as Dublin didn't have many fielders.
However, there were several times it went wrong for him. A short or angled kickout went over the sideline or got intercepted. There were plenty of Dubliners in the crowd roaring for him to smash it long and down the middle. I'm sure the same fellas who'd tell you now about how much he revolutionised the game. Anyway, Cluxton stuck with it and eventually created something that was Dublin's key attacking weapon, never mind a means of not losing possession.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

The turnover of players stat that Plain pointed out is such a big one. Seems we are Forever in the same boat of starting from a low level of experience. We really need to be backboned by 10
Lads with 5+ years of Inter county consistency. The only way to get it is through sticking with it - the manager, the players, the backroom staff, etc. not for 1-2 more years but for 4-5 more with this group. We need to treat it like a club team where you try to develop the pool you have and bring in 2-3 new players each season but we can’t afford overhauls of 50% of
The playing pool every 2 years.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Think I posted about the offaly ignoring the pleas from the crowd to "go long". I've stated this before, offaly are playing a good style of hurling that will be needed to compete. They are training very well and definitely training the way they want to play. It is of up most importance that fennelly and Kelly stay for at least 2 more years. This cannot be over stated. They need to be kept on. Winning or going close in the joe mcdonagh would help with this.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

was down in Salthill Sunday and have to say the reality of where we are was really highlighted. we have improved no doubt but joe mcdonagh is our standard and we are a bit of competing with the big teams.
Galway are not world beaters shefflin will have his work cut out.

I have no problem playing a nice brand of hurling but it has to make sense. Ben Connelley ran into 4 galway trying to play a short game when the ball had to be cleared the third goal came from this. we also played small short passes with a huge breeze when we really should of played ball in front of our forwards.

I fear for us against cork as they are further on from Galway and it really could be a big score against us.

let's hope big crowd shows up and get behind the team and hopefully we can compete for 30 or 40 minutes because last sunday we looked beaten from the start.