Offaly Hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Re: Offaly Hurlers 2022

Post by Onionbag »

Always the danger....

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

no disrespect to whoever is announced, but if its not a "big name" as such, we will have lads opting out, lads we sorely need, and we will be hanging around the same crossroads in a year or two, competitive in second tier or lower but possibly not good enough to progress..correct though, we are probably down the ladder abit for a big name..

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Big names often over rated bar they have won something big before. Outside of Sheedy and O Shea, Give me 2 or 3 'big names' who might be available that would interest you for the role.
jimbob

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Anthony Cunningham

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Mattie Kenny, Eddie Brennan

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Johnny Kelly has a solid resume. If he’s willing to step forward into this Offaly ‘situation’, which can’t be overly appealing to many, what’s the issue?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

No issue would be a great appointment considering what we have available to us currently

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

It won’t be Liam Sheedy according to today’s Irish Independent. No word on a new SH manager.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Kevin wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:05 pm Johnny Kelly has a solid resume. If he’s willing to step forward into this Offaly ‘situation’, which can’t be overly appealing to many, what’s the issue?
I guess it has to do with the fact Johnny Kelly has been a integral part of Fennellys management team for the last 3 years.
The county board felt that they wanted to move in a different direction and parted company with Fennelly as they clearly felt we has not going to progress things further which is fair and absolutely their right.
So they clearly think that the issue was Fennelly and that Johnny can in fact move them forward.
If he is the man for the job now you'd wonder was he not able to influence things over the past 3 years?

Personally I wasn't over disappointed that Tomas O'Se wasn't appointed football manager.
Again he was working with Maughan for 7 or 8 months and if anything defensively they got worse.
Teams of all abilities walked through Offaly in every game in the season just gone and you find yourself asking "how can they not see this and try and fix it". Maybe its the managers way and the managers way only but O'Se was up directing lads around the pitch all year during games so you have to conclude did he not see the issues the defence was having or that he did and simply didn't know how to resolve them.

I'm not sure a Davt Fitz type circus is what the senior hurlers right now if I'm being totally honest.The players aren't ready to take on the top teams yet and a couple of years of Davy could destroy morale in the end.
None of us have a crystal ball so you never know how things will pan out.....Johnny Kelly could be just what is needed.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Would Derek McGrath or Michael Ryan from Tipp be worth considering?
The Untouchable

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

the Untouchable wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:12 am Would Derek McGrath or Michael Ryan from Tipp be worth considering?
Would they be interested? I wish the Co. Executive would make an announcement, and end the speculation.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

bracknaghboy wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:41 pm
Kevin wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:05 pm Johnny Kelly has a solid resume. If he’s willing to step forward into this Offaly ‘situation’, which can’t be overly appealing to many, what’s the issue?
I guess it has to do with the fact Johnny Kelly has been a integral part of Fennellys management team for the last 3 years.
The county board felt that they wanted to move in a different direction and parted company with Fennelly as they clearly felt we has not going to progress things further which is fair and absolutely their right.
So they clearly think that the issue was Fennelly and that Johnny can in fact move them forward.
If he is the man for the job now you'd wonder was he not able to influence things over the past 3 years?

Personally I wasn't over disappointed that Tomas O'Se wasn't appointed football manager.
Again he was working with Maughan for 7 or 8 months and if anything defensively they got worse.
Teams of all abilities walked through Offaly in every game in the season just gone and you find yourself asking "how can they not see this and try and fix it". Maybe its the managers way and the managers way only but O'Se was up directing lads around the pitch all year during games so you have to conclude did he not see the issues the defence was having or that he did and simply didn't know how to resolve them.

I'm not sure a Davt Fitz type circus is what the senior hurlers right now if I'm being totally honest.The players aren't ready to take on the top teams yet and a couple of years of Davy could destroy morale in the end.
None of us have a crystal ball so you never know how things will pan out.....Johnny Kelly could be just what is needed.
Good points Bracknagh. If it is Kelly, give him a chance.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

derek mcgrath?!?!? ah jaysus .i wouldnt allow him coach an under 10 hurling team. he would ruin them with systems and turn them off hurling. have you heard hinm on the sunday game at all? total bluffer and bullshitter.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Derek McGrath never inspired me BUT I disagree that he is a waffler etc..Waterford were not very far off the pace under him and were unlucky rather than poor not to win an All Ireland, he wont win one with Offaly guaranteed, Laois had him on board for minor last year and they had a very decent team beating Kilkenny and never really hurled to the total capability against us in the Leinster final from what I seen of them, they gave good account of themselves in the next stages as well..not my choice McGrath either just wouldnt be but we could do alot worse too...

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

biffinbanner wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:30 am derek mcgrath?!?!? ah jaysus .i wouldnt allow him coach an under 10 hurling team. he would ruin them with systems and turn them off hurling. have you heard hinm on the sunday game at all? total bluffer and bullshitter.
Agree

A COD