Offaly Hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurlers 2022

Post by private joker »

I suppose that appearance would be viewed as a once off. Would need multiple good years to be in the same bracket as Dublin, kk, wexford.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Hard to see anything other than an Antrim win tomorrow. 6 or 7 points the difference. I don’t think we are good enough this year to gain promotion back to the Leinster championship. We will find it very tough against Carlow and Kerry also. As mentioned above , the turnover of players is too big to build momentum from last year. Hope I’m wrong but I can’t see us making the top 2

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

its really hard to see or say how Offaly might go V Antrim..all ranting here for league game that Antrims Neil McManus would start and it was all a smoke screen etc..McManus didnt start or even feature and as I thought, Antrim had enough firepower to beat us..has things changed since??..I see McManus mentioned again as not being in the Antrim panel for tommorow..again that shows they believe they have enough get over us again tomorrow. From Offalys point of view, good to see Coneely back in CB, his best position I think, he can dictate alot of play from there, tidying up the defence and his engine lends a bit of help out the field in absence of a similar type player further up (badly badly lacking)I am happy with the defence as such and MF will be OK, wont dominate or anything but it is a decent midfield (thats about it)...it from here on I worry, outside of Eoghan Cahill (and his are mainly frees but he can pick off a few from play too) none of the others are exciting me that they will rack over a few scores each to boost Cahills total and get close to a match winning score...goals will be crucial here and I can see Antrim getting at least 1 or 2 tommorow, I cannot see Offaly definitely scoring a goal tommorow (hope Ime wrong) surprised some other forwards not starting to be honest, yes they do well as subs when brought on but I dont see enough scores from the forward line selected to win this match, great to see young Kelly from Lusmagh get a start, he does well in most games to be fair to him. I think Antrim 2-20 Offaly 0-19 possibly, but I suppose Offaly do have chance, it s just hard to see them win here. Best of luck to the lads tomorrow.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:10 am its really hard to see or say how Offaly might go V Antrim..all ranting here for league game that Antrims Neil McManus would start and it was all a smoke screen etc..McManus didnt start or even feature and as I thought, Antrim had enough firepower to beat us..has things changed since??..I see McManus mentioned again as not being in the Antrim panel for tommorow..again that shows they believe they have enough get over us again tomorrow. From Offalys point of view, good to see Coneely back in CB, his best position I think, he can dictate alot of play from there, tidying up the defence and his engine lends a bit of help out the field in absence of a similar type player further up (badly badly lacking)I am happy with the defence as such and MF will be OK, wont dominate or anything but it is a decent midfield (thats about it)...it from here on I worry, outside of Eoghan Cahill (and his are mainly frees but he can pick off a few from play too) none of the others are exciting me that they will rack over a few scores each to boost Cahills total and get close to a match winning score...goals will be crucial here and I can see Antrim getting at least 1 or 2 tommorow, I cannot see Offaly definitely scoring a goal tommorow (hope Ime wrong) surprised some other forwards not starting to be honest, yes they do well as subs when brought on but I dont see enough scores from the forward line selected to win this match, great to see young Kelly from Lusmagh get a start, he does well in most games to be fair to him. I think Antrim 2-20 Offaly 0-19 possibly, but I suppose Offaly do have chance, it s just hard to see them win here. Best of luck to the lads tomorrow.
It looks like Antrim today. Best of luck to the Offaly team, and management in Corrigan Park.
Minor hurlers v Laois in OCP today.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Offaly 1 20 to 1-17 in the minor game. Close win.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:45 pm Offaly 1 20 to 1-17 in the minor game. Close win.
Antrim by a point today, after extra time. Must have been a great game.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

a heroic performance really. antrim goal 5 min into added time.. still. win all the rest and we are in good shape..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I appreciate it was a long long way away for most..just wondering if anybody was at it..I was on the road at another sport with my son (better not let GAA hear that :roll: ) and our old friend Radio 3 werent even covering it...Saturday Sport came on and at 2pm and after a block buster introduction about all the games on including Offaly and Antrim, spent the first half hour talking about Munster Rugby and fairy house races (we dont live at all from what I see) and only one mention of the Offaly game reading out the score of 0-06 t0 0-05 at one stage...Very disapointed Radio 3 were not covering the game and the times I jumped over and back R3 didnt even give updates...went onto Face book to see if Offaly GAA was live commentary...again nothing that I could find in the few minutes I pulled over to look..came out of my sons sport to hear Radio 1 giving the end of their end of match update on the game..apparently all these rugby games between Exeter Chief or whatever and Toulouse is more topical than our own GAA games...it appears to be cool now to follow the popular sports even if Ide safely say (this is a conservative guess now) that 90% of listeners have no interest in these games..."tv licence its the law" is a joke for sure...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:58 pm I appreciate it was a long long way away for most..just wondering if anybody was at it..I was on the road at another sport with my son (better not let GAA hear that :roll: ) and our old friend Radio 3 werent even covering it...Saturday Sport came on and at 2pm and after a block buster introduction about all the games on including Offaly and Antrim, spent the first half hour talking about Munster Rugby and fairy house races (we dont live at all from what I see) and only one mention of the Offaly game reading out the score of 0-06 t0 0-05 at one stage...Very disapointed Radio 3 were not covering the game and the times I jumped over and back R3 didnt even give updates...went onto Face book to see if Offaly GAA was live commentary...again nothing that I could find in the few minutes I pulled over to look..came out of my sons sport to hear Radio 1 giving the end of their end of match update on the game..apparently all these rugby games between Exeter Chief or whatever and Toulouse is more topical than our own GAA games...it appears to be cool now to follow the popular sports even if Ide safely say (this is a conservative guess now) that 90% of listeners have no interest in these games..."tv licence its the law" is a joke for sure...
I think you described the radio coverage, or lack of it, pretty well. I wasn’t in tune with radio for most of the afternoon, but checked the Offaly GAA site, which updated the Minor and Senior games
periodically. I tuned in later to Radio 1, to hear that Offaly hurlers, had overhauled a 5 point deficit, to lead by a point in added time, John Murphy’s goal put them ahead briefly, before a third Antrim goal secured victory.
I would have thought Mids 103, would cover the Antrim game in whole, or in part, but you were unable to get an update from he local station. I wonder what coverage Mids 10 gave the games involving Laois and Westmeath hurlers. They have to cover all 3 counties Gaa activities equally. I sometimes feel Offaly lose out to our neighbours in Gaelic games coverage.

Radio1, will say they have to cover all sporting activities on Sat. Sport, rather than give majority coverage to GAA games. I suppose RTÉ will argue the Rugby games involved Irish teams in the concluding stages of their competitions, while the GAA championships, were at the initial stages.
It’s a hard one to call, despite your perception that there was a bias to Rugby matches.
Tomorrow there are a couple of tasty Munster SHC, games, and a couple of Connacht SFC games.
I think RTÉ will cover all games tomorrow, while also covering other sports. We await the next round of championship games. I think the national station provides decent Gaelic games coverage overall, even if it sometimes appears otherwise.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Whatever about Liam Mc and Sam Maguire games, Joe Mc was always going to take a back seat to Rugby this weekend in national media and in fairness to media, that is fair enough. Rugby is at business end of their competitions. In fairness, RTE probably gave even more coverage to Offaly hurlers than midlands radio. In fact, what was most disappointing was the lack of coverage by Midlands radio.

Re national media coverage, Offaly hurling supporters need to be realistic. We are not a Liam McCarthy cup county. 10 years ago, would we have expected much national media focus on a championship hurling match between Carlow and Meath? That is the level at which we now operate. Whatever about local media coverage, we should not complain about the national media coverage!
jimbob

Themanthatwasnot
Junior C
Club: Birr

Post by Themanthatwasnot »

Was in Belfast yesterday at the game very average at best our back line is awful.
Very poor ball control and general sloppiness
Nothing has changed since the dark days of Newry
November 2020.
Just the opposing teams have not proggressed
As much neither.
Antrim had some awful wides.
Onwards and upwards 👍

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Was there not even a link to stream the match on ppv? I was working until 3 myself and was hoping to listen to the second half on the radio on the way home but no joy. Very poor that midlands radio didn’t even give regular updates. It seemed to be a cracking game and I think the likes of TG4 or the other media stations are missing out on not making these games available to view. It’s our national sport after all. But it is what it is I suppose. Hard luck to our lads. I think they proved a lot of people wrong , myself included , who thought Antrim would win comfortably. They will be disappointed this morning but will also take the positives from it and hopefully it drives them on to perform even better the next day.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Dodge83 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:30 am Was there not even a link to stream the match on ppv? I was working until 3 myself and was hoping to listen to the second half on the radio on the way home but no joy. Very poor that midlands radio didn’t even give regular updates. It seemed to be a cracking game and I think the likes of TG4 or the other media stations are missing out on not making these games available to view. It’s our national sport after all. But it is what it is I suppose. Hard luck to our lads. I think they proved a lot of people wrong , myself included , who thought Antrim would win comfortably. They will be disappointed this morning but will also take the positives from it and hopefully it drives them on to perform even better the next day.
A good performance by Offaly hurlers. Maybe they will drive on, and get the win the next day.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Shocking stuff by Midlands 103, Jaysus if Offaly/Laois or Westmeath were hurling at home where people could attend the game then fin, but even some reasonable updates rather than just halftime and full time!

But fair play to the team, they almost dug out the win that would have left them in a great position. Great to get back into the game when SAntrim pulled 7 ahead and we down a man at that stage.
We seemed to do well against the wind also and were in a great position at halftime. A lot of positives to be taken from it and will be disappointing, if you are to win you will most likely have to beat Antrim again.
Heads up and a home game to Meath will get us off the mark. Kerry losing to Down at home has opened things up and if we can minimise injuries we should have a go at Antrim in the final.

Keep The Faith and well done to the minors on Saturday!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

regardles of what stage rugby is "at business end of things" despite as portrayed it isnt that widely followed to warrant not covering our own national games ahead of it..I wont contend an argument that its otherwise. I have gone up to my local to on a Saturday night just to be socialable and watch whatever GAA game was being televised on TG4 (Limerick/Kilkeny in hurling often for example) and I would be in the main the only person watching the hurling, the rest "out the back" with the rugby on, all drinking and no one looking at it, and all experts then when it was over...for the life of me I do not get the attraction of the sport at all (most definitely ahead of any sort of gaelic or hurling match...its as if its almost "cool" to be seen to be following it (rugby) regardless of the Saturday schedule on RTE radio I am not a betting man but am confident more listeners wanted some/part commentary of one of the hurling games on Saturday ahead of an interview on how Munster rugby might do in whoever it was they were playing or ahead of a preview of fairyhouse...I rest my case on it as I know it wont change...