Offaly Hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurlers 2022

Post by private joker »

The link is to a TJ Reid article

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

frankthetank wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:31 pm Interesting to see what the good people of Kilcormac/Killoughey’s response is to this.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic ... 90417.html

Always had him down for a great man for a sound byte but not sure how much substance there is with him.

I could have him totally misjudged to be fair.
Derek Lyng confirmed as new Kilkenny manager by, erm, the Irish Independent.

Who earlier reported that Martin Fogarty was in line to replace Brian Cody.

Martin Breheny and all that I suppose.

EDIT - Am I correct in saying Derek Lyng never hurled Senior Club Championship? I’m pretty sure that’s the case. Not that it’s relevant, just find it interesting.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

That'd be right. Also never played Minor or U21 for his county. But Cody preferred the strong characters.

On that, there probably were 15 better footballers in Meath in the Boylan years, but they went with the ones with the strength of character. Ditto with Klare hurlers in the Loughnane years. And scored on.
frankthetank wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:34 amEDIT - Am I correct in saying Derek Lyng never hurled Senior Club Championship? I’m pretty sure that’s the case. Not that it’s relevant, just find it interesting.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:43 am That'd be right. Also never played Minor or U21 for his county. But Cody preferred the strong characters.

On that, there probably were 15 better footballers in Meath in the Boylan years, but they went with the ones with the strength of character. Ditto with Klare hurlers in the Loughnane years. And scored on.
frankthetank wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:34 amEDIT - Am I correct in saying Derek Lyng never hurled Senior Club Championship? I’m pretty sure that’s the case. Not that it’s relevant, just find it interesting.
Yes its a fair point. the most skillful 15 might not win you games. Its about finding the right balance and type of player. Played against some super Kilkenny hurlers in college but remember they never really got good look in with the kilkenny senior team. Some were called in off the back of exceptional club performances but never nailed down a spot on permanent spot on the panel never mind the team. Cody knew the type of player he wanted. some lads were scoring 10 or 12 points in their club games and he could'nt ignore a call up but I am sure he tested them in many ways in internal games.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Davy Fitz is on his way back to Waterford according to the Independent this morning...

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Liam sheedy and EOS in with offaly. Don't know how or why but some appointment if true. Johnny Kelly staying on also.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Huge if true

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Maybe we’re just making our interest known so ward off any other counties that may be lurking about :wink:

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

some coup to get eamonn o shea and liam sheedy in . and johnny kelly will provide local knowledge and "history" etc. no excuses now eh.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

I'll believe it when I see it.
Fingers crossed it is true.
How reliable is the source in the Irish Mirror😁😁

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

private joker wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:18 pm Liam sheedy and EOS in with offaly. Don't know how or why but some appointment if true. Johnny Kelly staying on also.
Nice.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

all very well Kilkenny not selecting their best 15 hurlers, they will have almost similar with different traits on the wings waiting for their chance, unfortunately with ourselves we probably need our best 15 majority of the time...that Clare team of the mid 90's had a strong panel and almost any sub they made impacted, I often think back, didnt they give us (as in all GAA supporters) some great games from 1995 until about 2002 when that particular group of players reached its natural end, the battles and performances were Kilkenny like with the ferocity of their onslaughts...
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Any update on new management yet

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

nothing since end of last week when Liam Sheedy and Eamon O'Shea names were being put out there..Ken Hogan and Brian Carroll mentioned too, Lorrha are intermediate so he would probably be able to do the two jobs..

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Seems like johnny kelly taking over as manager, Eamon o shea coming on board too. No liam sheedy in a mgt role.