Offaly Hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly Hurlers 2022

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:56 pm Things you will hear from the Offaly crowd in Birr on Sunday:

"Drive it!" (obviously)
"Get rid of it"
"Lose it"
"I don't understand those short puckouts"
"That Limerick stuff has hurling ruined"
"I don't understand that handpassing"
"They need to bring back ground hurling"

If Birr GAA had a bar licence they could clean up with a drinking game, a shot every time one of the above lines is uttered.
Dodge83 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:15 pm As Noel Furlong would say “Drive it. Drive it. Drive it” !!!
More things being roared in Birr

"Ah, what are ye at?"
"Cut the messing out"
"Drive it out of there!"
"What are you going backwards for?"

That's when I'm double parking in the square.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ah, no one parks in the square. This isn't Tellamore with double yellow lines and stuff.

Park on the road outside the gate, faced for home. Be grand!
Bord na Mona man wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:05 am That's when I'm double parking in the square.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:05 am
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:56 pm Things you will hear from the Offaly crowd in Birr on Sunday:

"Drive it!" (obviously)
"Get rid of it"
"Lose it"
"I don't understand those short puckouts"
"That Limerick stuff has hurling ruined"
"I don't understand that handpassing"
"They need to bring back ground hurling"

If Birr GAA had a bar licence they could clean up with a drinking game, a shot every time one of the above lines is uttered.
Dodge83 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:15 pm As Noel Furlong would say “Drive it. Drive it. Drive it” !!!
More things being roared in Birr

"Ah, what are ye at?"
"Cut the messing out"
"Drive it out of there!"
"What are you going backwards for?"

That's when I'm double parking in the square.
What will the modernists be roaring on Sunday?

"Just throw the fu*king thing"
"Hit it short!"
"Thats not what Limerick do"
"Throw it you caveman"
"We love Limerick"
"Do your job sweeper ffs"
"Theres only one Paul Kinnerk, one Paul Kinneeeeeeerk"

Sunday afternoon is going to be a hoot :D

Now the serious stuff. POTH touched on a very important point earlier.
Offalys options are limited. I'd love to see a few long balls going into the forwards but it's not a runner.
There are no ball winners. Literally none and it's a real problem. In fact players with catching capability all over the pitch is an issue.
This is something that has gotten worse and worse over the last 20 years.
Offaly players have been regularly cleaned out by the opposition in the air in recent years, particularly against Kilkenny, Waterford, Galway and most recently the likes of Westmeath and Carlow. It has been the single biggest flaw in Offalys play. It's a basic skill.
The likes of Colin Egan, Joe Bergin, Conor Mahon etc. had their moments in the air but never consistently enough. Things went well v Limerick in 2008 and Kilkenny (2013) but outside of that the opposition usually dominated.
Now that these guys are gone there are no ball winning options. Duignan is a big chap but his timing under the dropping ball seems off. Remember Tommy Walsh was not a big man but his timing in the air was exceptional.
Del Morkan had that timing, he was some talent, he was badly missed over the last 5/6 years.
There's a hell of a lot of coaching going on in the county but are they teaching the underage players how to catch a ball.......the timing, the stance, the jump. Other counties are doing something different in this regard thats for sure. It's a skill that will never go out of the game. How many time has TJ Reid rescued Ballyhale of Kilkenny with one of his trademark catches? To be tackling Division 1 teams without that option is a scary prospect.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

whatever about the Galway performance upto last 15 minutes or so, yesterday in Birr was very stark reminder of how far back Offaly are..ok I know we are a work in progress and all that, but it was men against boys, we were so far off the breaking ball (Cork were ontop of it instantly) and many of our scores from play were of the shoot on sight the minute we got a bit of space...while it wasnt in the Waterford V Laois bracket of a defeat it was certainly humbling indeed..hopefully there wont be too many of these defeats as of no doubt confidence of all team can be affected with such trouncings...Eoghan Cahill still appears to be our only forward who we can depend on to score in every game...when he is marked well need we say more...onwards and upwards hopefully...

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Cork 4-25 Offaly 1-15

Obviously the opposition were again playing a different game to Offaly, but Offaly still worked fierce hard throughout.

On a very simple mathematical basis, Cork had 3-8 on the board by the mid point of the first half, so were on target to hit 44 scores by game’s end. Now I know Cork changed their forward formation around this time which slowed their scoring rate, but Offaly worked fierce hard to eliminate the goalscoring opportunities and to cut out space, make interceptions and generally break Cork’s momentum.

There is criticism elsewhere of Offaly withdrawing their full-forward line. To me, that criticism is unwarranted. So it’s okay for the All-Ireland runners up to do that, but not okay for Offaly? I think it was necessary for Offaly to close down space between the two 45s, and the sight of Collins taking ages to pick a delivery, or laying off a pass, to me was a sign that the space wasn’t there, or the intended recipient was covered. So allowing Cork do what they liked inside their own ’45 was a necessary part of the plan. To me, the alternative was to challenge the goalkeeper, get sidestepped and allow him create an overlap.

Cork took their early opportunities by playing one in the full-forward line, with five other forwards outside the ’45. That allowed them create overlaps and run at Offaly. In fairness, this is bloody difficult to defend against. It required a sweeper to cover the full-back (can’t have a 1 v 1 so close to goal) and a sweeper isn’t going to stop a flowing, passing move.
One of these years, someone is going to play without a full-forward line of any description. They’re in the way of running movements.

Two good points by italia90 here. Offaly did a decent job against Dublin at working the ball out at a middling decent pace. That hasn’t happened since, maybe due to superior opposition, though Cork did give Offaly every chance to work the ball to the ’45.
And the tackling is killing them. Granted Offaly are at a physical disadvantage, but the swinging with the hurl is going to concede frees and yellow cards.
italia90 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:29 am Don't mind a team trying short puckouts or possession game within a game, but try do it at pace. We're physically lighter than opposition so we have to commit runners and try create overlap. Instead, we jogged with a ball and got caught time after time.
We're one of few counties left tackling with the hurl rather than body. A lot of blatant frees given away yesterday and players bewildered said free was given.

This, unfortunately, is what two years in division 2 and two years in Christy Ring, and a lengthy layoff due to Covid has done. That, and an unwillingness to adapt the way hurling is played in this county.
Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:51 pm whatever about the Galway performance upto last 15 minutes or so, yesterday in Birr was very stark reminder of how far back Offaly are..ok I know we are a work in progress and all that, but it was men against boys, we were so far off the breaking ball (Cork were ontop of it instantly) and many of our scores from play were of the shoot on sight the minute we got a bit of space...

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

maybe all these matches will stand to the team for the joe mcdonagh. win that and be more prepared for next year.. its a long road but thats whats facing us.. like galway are prob 2nd best team in ireland and cork were in last years all ireland final. thats some jump from playing sligo last year...?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Galway 2nd best team in Ireland???..thats putting a very positive spin on it I would think...top 5 or 6 yes...2nd best?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Any given year, galway could easily make a final, definitely a semi final. They will go very close to winning all ireland if they avoid limerick before final.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:31 pm Galway 2nd best team in Ireland???..thats putting a very positive spin on it I would think...top 5 or 6 yes...2nd best?
Name 5 better teams than galway at present?
Doon exile....

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

the bookies certainly seem to think they are 2nd after limerick..!!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I still maintain that Offalys relegation from Leinster should never have happened in 2018.
It has made things way worse.
Yes we know all about the underage results for the last 20 years but the impact of relegation has never been properly looked into.
A conversation in Birr Sunday with a wise man has got me thinking.
Kevin Martin had a much greater task on his hands than we ever gave him credit for. Never before has a Offaly manager taken up the job with relegation such a distinct possibility.
Kevin didn't have the chance of building a team for the next 3 or 4 years by bringing young lads to blend in with the experienced heads. He couldn't look beyond the summer of 2018. So he set about bringing Mahon, Colin Egan and Molloy and a few others back onboard where younger players could have been introduced if the relegation gun hadn't been pointed at the county head. The end result was a very experienced looking side in fairness in 2018.
However, it was a stitch up from the start. Offaly the only team expected to line out 4 weeks in a row and the Munster teams practically immune from relegation. The odds stacked against them right from the off.
Most of the players from Martin's panel would be totally finished with the county set up within 2 years essentially leaving nobody behind with any experience. Just 3 of the 20 players used in the Dublin game that resulted in the relegation remain on the panel today (Ben Conneely and David King outfield, Cahill was in goal that day). Thats a little over 3.5 years ago. Thats insane. Can there possibly be another intercounty panel out there with such turnover?

The relegation didn't allow for any transition. The folllowing year was another backs to the wall job and relegation #2 occurred.
Now we have a bunch of very enthusiastic young lads giving all they have but I have to say they look leaderless out there. They are all in the same boat.
The lack of a blend of youth and experience can't be good. The upper echelon of the intercounty hurling world has become an even more savage place than it was 3 or 4 years ago.
The impact of relegation has been an even bigger disaster then I even suspected.
Be interested to hear any thoughts or different takes on it?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Doon Exile wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:24 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:31 pm Galway 2nd best team in Ireland???..thats putting a very positive spin on it I would think...top 5 or 6 yes...2nd best?
Name 5 better teams than galway at present?
based on last year championship is what counts (not Henry Shefflin taking over and everone "thinking" they could/would or might win the All Ireland this year...Limerick, Cork, Kilkenny, Waterford (all strong semi finalists last year (and good ones at that) Tipperary were beaten Quarter finalists, as were Dublin from memory (no disrespect to Dublin by its impossible to remember every single game)
So to be generous, we will stick with last years All Ireland semifinalists, thats 4 teams, and Tipp certainly would feel they would be semi final material thats 5 conties...Galway have a great start to the leage under a high profile yet to be proven intercounty manager and everyone thinks they deserve to be be bookies second favourites or whatever you want to call it, an insult to Waterford and Cork and Kilkenny who were not at all very far off from the finish line last year, if Limerick were beaten last year, one of them 3 would be worthy champions...just my opinion...the stats I go by, not current lift from new manager..

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Galway are better than kk and cork and probably Waterford. They fell out with shane o neil mid season and stopped playing for him. Galway are always capable in making a final in any given year.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

This. A hundred times this. Something that was pointed out at the time on this forum and elsewhere.

I don't have time to go into this now, but I will revert and I didn't want this comment to go ignored.

Watch the same thing happen in the football championship with half the country excluded from the qualifiers. For young Willie McBride it all happened again. And again and again and again and again...
bracknaghboy wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:25 am I still maintain that Offalys relegation from Leinster should never have happened in 2018.
It has made things way worse.
Yes we know all about the underage results for the last 20 years but the impact of relegation has never been properly looked into.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

In 2018 Offaly tried to make the Leinster knockouts and gave Kilkenny and Galway decent contest in the early rounds.
Had Offaly opted use these games as a warm up, rotated players and simply targeted the final game against Dublin, which always looked a relegation decider, there is a possibility they could have stayed up.
Dublin had home advantage and 2 week's rest, whereas Offaly were playing their 4th game in 21 days. By game 3 against Wexford, Offaly players were already cramping up from fatigue.

2019 is a different ballgame. Offaly unravelled badly in a couple of games that they should have seen out.

If we're saying it shouldn't have happened because of the structures then yes. However, at this stage Offaly were the boy who cried wolf in terms of appealing against relegations.
Many hurling people were sad to see a former power plunge, others were eager to tell us it was fully deserved, we were deluded, living in the past and deserved to eat shit on this one.

The galling thing is that when Leix surprised Dublin in the championship the following year, GAA President Dublin John Horan was suddenly talking about the need to expand the Leinster championship by one more team in case Dublin faced the drop.

The same for the two tier football championship when it looked like Cork wouldn't make the cut, they started making safety nets and side passes to protect the big names from having to slum it with the riff raff.