Offaly Hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Hasselhoff
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurlers 2022

Post by Hasselhoff »

Have to agree.
Offaly will have it all to do on Saturday.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Apparently Antrim have made it known Neil McManus won't be hurling against Offaly.

I don't believe them.

We've been here before, Antrim told everyone McManus wouldn't be hurling against Offaly in Birr in 2018. McManus hurled, led Antrim, and Antrim won. Like, if it was true, why would Antrim give Offaly that boost at this stage? They wouldn't.

I call bullshit. This isn't professional sport where all such injuries have to be reported because they affect the plc's share price and they don't want allegations of insider trading. I fully expect McManus to line out. I fully expect Offaly to win too, but that's a different matter.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:17 pm Apparently Antrim have made it known Neil McManus won't be hurling against Offaly.

I don't believe them.

We've been here before, Antrim told everyone McManus wouldn't be hurling against Offaly in Birr in 2018. McManus hurled, led Antrim, and Antrim won. Like, if it was true, why would Antrim give Offaly that boost at this stage? They wouldn't.

I call bullshit. This isn't professional sport where all such injuries have to be reported because they affect the plc's share price and they don't want allegations of insider trading. I fully expect McManus to line out. I fully expect Offaly to win too, but that's a different matter.
Seems like a pathetic attempt to gain some sort of advantage by them.
Unless he appears on rip.ie in the 40hrs I'd say it's safe to say he'll be hauled onto the edge of the square Saturday afternoon.

I too think Offaly will win on Saturday.Why? Well for starters Antrim hate these matches against opposition like Offaly (or Laois or Westmeath etc.)
Send Waterford, Dublin, Clare or Wexford up to Corrigan Park and they will give them loads of it and end up with a respectable result. On the other hand send them down the country to play a team they are then expected to beat and the doubts set in.......it happened 3 weeks ago Laois.
Secondly, a criticism levelled at them after both the Dublin and Laois games in the league was how much aimless ball they hit away to be collected easily by the opposition. It seem's they try and play a bit of the short stuff but their heart isn't really into it. Offaly need to stick to what they have been doing and resist giving Antrim a chance to win any aerial battles........if they do they can pull it off. Lovely afternoon expected weather wise in Navan.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

to be honest I didnt get too much into the Offaly hurling league discussion this year..we are in relegation play off tomorrow..I see above Neil McManus may not be hurling an maybe that may not be the case...that is there own business and should not affect Offalys preparation..I seen the Offaly team tonight, and see Eoghan Cahill in the subs is he carrying an injury or what?..or will he start too and its bluff by Offaly?..I think McManus is a better pound for pound hurler and will contribute more to Antrim from play and free's where Cahill is predominantly frees, an excellent hurler though an surely if fit needs to start for Offaly. I just dont see enough scores from our named starting 6 forwards to outscore Antrim's starting 6 forwards...so if Cahill isnt injured, Offaly are probably playing a similar bluff game ,but no more than us with Antrim,Antrim wont be too worried about our team Ide say..goals will be crucial tomorrow and I can see Antrim scoring them a bit easier than Offaly thats all..wishing the team and panel all the best tomorrow.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Beaten by 7 points and relegated back to division 2. No point sugar coating it , it was a terrible display. The back line were totally found wanting after 5 mins and Antrim could have scored more goals.
When the game was about to start we were totally miss matched for size in the middle of the field, Antrim were bigger, stronger and totally out hurled us all over the pitch.
I can’t see this team winning much games in the McDonagh Cup, we knew we were never going to do much in the league, I thought we might show a bit of want and belief to stay in it but from what I seen today, there was no heart or busting a gut to win. Are we any further on if we take into account the last 20 years, still shipping massive beatings,

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:17 pm Apparently Antrim have made it known Neil McManus won't be hurling against Offaly.

I don't believe them.

Wrong and wrong!
They didn’t even need him. Terrible performance.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Apologies a 10 point beaten

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I shall be honest we know where we are and the result was all but certain after watching 10 minutes of the game who the better team was.
The thing that I have noticed during the league is the lack of physical presence we have within the team. We have no real "men" as such and I'm wondering how much scouting of players fennelly has done as I do believe we are missing certain players from the set up who should be involved that might improve us slightly...but overall were just miles off where we really need to be.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Antrim had a physical edge that allowed them to boss several facets of the game.

Antrim’s support play was much better. You could see Antrim sweep forward in waves and carve Offaly open, whereas Offaly were too static.
Several times the Antrim ball carrier had the off the shoulder runner in his line of sight. Offaly’s support play was not at that level. It was rare that an Offaly man had a short option moving forward in support. So the only option was to play the hopeful long ball, or the short ball to the next man up with his back to goal.

Offaly’s skills didn’t stand up well under pressure and this is another problem with a team with a lot of relatively fresh players who are new to rigours of inter county hurling. Clearly, several Offaly players need a couple of more years to strengthen up and get accustomed to going into combat with physical teams.

Unfortunately, the manner of this defeat will give a huge fill up to the flat earthers of Offaly hurling who will see this as the opportunity to demand a return to old school pulling, whipping and driving.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Is it Antrim up first in Joe Mc? Are they neutral venues?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Beaten well today. Physically light compared to Antrim.

Should we be doing more ground hurlin?
jimbob

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:31 pm Antrim had a physical edge that allowed them to boss several facets of the game.

Antrim’s support play was much better. You could see Antrim sweep forward in waves and carve Offaly open, whereas Offaly were too static.
Several times the Antrim ball carrier had the off the shoulder runner in his line of sight. Offaly’s support play was not at that level. It was rare that an Offaly man had a short option moving forward in support. So the only option was to play the hopeful long ball, or the short ball to the next man up with his back to goal.

Offaly’s skills didn’t stand up well under pressure and this is another problem with a team with a lot of relatively fresh players who are new to rigours of inter county hurling. Clearly, several Offaly players need a couple of more years to strengthen up and get accustomed to going into combat with physical teams.

Unfortunately, the manner of this defeat will give a huge fill up to the flat earthers of Offaly hurling who will see this as the opportunity to demand a return to old school pulling, whipping and driving.
Sadly today we reverted to past failures, we were driving the long ball down to an over crowded Antrim defence. One think is certain they need to be ready for the up coming games, not one easy game ahead

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

kingscounty wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:47 pm Is it Antrim up first in Joe Mc? Are they neutral venues?
Think we travel to Antrim. Away to Kerry and Carlow also.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I hear this ould debate starting here again "driving the ball in long to over crowded defence"...the plain and simple truth is the Offaly forwards are/were not capable of winning any ball, be it worked up the field or drove up long...you can work the ball through the lines as often as you want but you cannot do it all game and if and when the ball is driven long (it has to be from time to time be it rushed clearance etc. you have to be able to compete for the ball, Offaly were always losing these battles, yes, you might lose some of them but when you are losing all or the majority of them you r issues are much bigger than than having to resort to not driving it out. The Neil McManus discussion was not relevant at all, if he played Offaly would have lost by more, as I said before the game, Antrim have more genuine scoring forwards...Offaly do no appear to know or be sure of their starting front 6 which is a worry, we see almost wholesale changes each game with no consistency from any of them.

Antrim looked streets ahead of Offaly physically, were competent in winning their own or 50/50 ball..Offaly are still putting the hurl in over the ball instead of the body, the space both team were afforded by times was astonishing compared to the game I am about to watch now between Cork and Kilkenny, whom as we know are light years ahead of Offaly, but Cork were in Offalys division. I get the impression something in not right in the Offaly set up, I cannot put my finger on it, but the backs whom were fairly stable be it in a lower tier last season, seem very very disjointed or something. We have lads doing loads and loads of training and individual training and they have to be commended on that, but it does not appear to be making much inroads...Antrim never looked like losing their lead today, Offaly were making subs and absolutely no disrespect to the lads coming in they were not going to improve the situation.

I can hear the defence being rallied already, "the Joe McDonagh is the immportant one (now)" and and it is now. I hope we do well in that, hard to see us winning it after this league in total, and today we just seemed to stall in time, not progressing but standing still. If we have naturally physical hurlers in the county we have to try and get them on/back on board...physical strenghting and all this is one thing, most teams are doing that on top of naturally strong physically players making great players...Offaly dont appear to have the natural bit to start with, they will turn lads upside down in the Offaly championship etc. but once get to county or intercounty very few seem to be able to bring that physique to the bigger set up. We also dont have an out and out lethal forward - its one lad one week, another next week if at all...go back over our games, no more than 5 or 6 points on a good day outside of Eoghan Cahill frees..there in is second part of our problem..again, doing it for club but not so easy for county..wishing them all the best in the JMCD...it is as it is now...I am going to go through our scorings for the league later for and against, it wont be pretty but averages will be kind to us no doubt...PS our goal keeper saved our bacon on 2 or 3 occasions today...he was superb..

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

The last game of the league and the joe mcdonagh were always the most important. The league set up is a farce. The championship will be far more even. Offaly will do well to contest the final. Antrim will win it out. The mgt team that are in place now need to absolutely stay on next year and if possible the year after. They are going the right way and doing the right training. The players need 4 to 5 years consistent training. A change is mgt would be a disaster. The s & c work been done by clubs is a real concern. It's where offaly are lacking. You need to be physically able to hold your ground as well as hurl.