Offaly Senior Football Championship 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Football Championship 2021

Post by jimbob17 »

Can't beat experience. Tullamore should have wrapped it up long before finish but went into their shells in last 10 minutes. They basically paniced as I saw it, and handed Rhode a chance when they didn't need to. Niall Mac got one chance and took it. Absolute Class Act!

Beyond that, Rhode got back level in a game they should have been out of. That said, Rhode hit 10 wides at least and had to play into a strong wind in second half and with 14 men for nearly 40 minutes so all credit to them. Re Alan McNamee red, it didnt look red to me but was a hard hit, maybe on the edge of the rules, probably a free, at most a yellow. The referee may have felt pressure to make a statement on this challenge given there was lots of niggly stuff building before that and he may have handed out a red prior to Alan Mc incident.

If Rhode appeal the red and are successful (which they have a really good chance of in my opinion), Alan Mc could be back for the replay. This would be massive boost for Rhode.

Tullamore's early goal was a godsend and well taken. But they will surely rue the fact that they only scored 5 points in the last 45 mins or so - and that with a breeze at their backs against 14 men for second half and good chunk of first half. Tullamore should have had Rhode at sixes and sevens in second half but their forwards either lacked a bit of courage and leadership or they were instructed to sit back and invite Rhode on. Either way, Tullamore paid a big price for this and between hurling, u20 and throwing that game away today, they will not be happy about their prospects of winning the next day against 15 Rhode men.
jimbob

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

jimbob17 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:27 pm Can't beat experience. Tullamore should have wrapped it up long before finish but went into their shells in last 10 minutes. They basically paniced as I saw it, and handed Rhode a chance when they didn't need to. Niall Mac got one chance and took it. Absolute Class Act!

Beyond that, Rhode got back level in a game they should have been out of. That said, Rhode hit 10 wides at least and had to play into a strong wind in second half and with 14 men for nearly 40 minutes so all credit to them. Re Alan McNamee red, it didnt look red to me but was a hard hit, maybe on the edge of the rules, probably a free, at most a yellow. The referee may have felt pressure to make a statement on this challenge given there was lots of niggly stuff building before that and he may have handed out a red prior to Alan Mc incident.

If Rhode appeal the red and are successful (which they have a really good chance of in my opinion), Alan Mc could be back for the replay. This would be massive boost for Rhode.

Tullamore's early goal was a godsend and well taken. But they will surely rue the fact that they only scored 5 points in the last 45 mins or so - and that with a breeze at their backs against 14 men for second half and good chunk of first half. Tullamore should have had Rhode at sixes and sevens in second half but their forwards either lacked a bit of courage and leadership or they were instructed to sit back and invite Rhode on. Either way, Tullamore paid a big price for this and between hurling, u20 and throwing that game away today, they will not be happy about their prospects of winning the next day against 15 Rhode men.
Tullamore will regret not securing their 28th title today. With a numerical advantage from the first half, and wind assisted in the second period, they should have put Rhode away, but couldn’t do so.
Niall McNamee, despite being well marshalled by Tullamore’s defence, got the most important score with time almost up, to draw the match.
Fair play to Rhode for sticking with a game they looked like losing for long periods.

It’s back on again in two weeks time, so who will be champions ? Rhode have that period to prepare for the game, while some Tullamore players, have a hurling semi final next week to prepare for, in addition to their football preparations.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Fair play to Rhode, never gave up, 1-07 t0 0-05 down after the second waterbreak, Tullamore became very defense minded and paid the price, the red for Alan seemed very harsh, ref was poor, replay in 2 weeks and 1st Round of Leinster the following week v Sarsfields or Naas in Newbridge, it will tough going for both teams, especially Tullamore with the hurling semi final next week.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Alan McNamee cleared to play in replay.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

wasnt red at all..it was dark yellow!!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

summerindublin wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:39 am Alan McNamee cleared to play in replay.
That's farcical. Definite red card.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Advantage Rhode. If the ref called it a straight red on the day, it must have been a serious offence.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

summerindublin wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:39 am Alan McNamee cleared to play in replay.
So lets look at this.
The hearings committee are saying that Marius got it wrong and this wasn't a straight red.
Lets say Tullamore had won by a point, could Rhode have asked the hearings committee (or the CB or whoever) to look at the video and if they determined it wasn't a red card then could a replay have been ordered?

I'm a firm believer that the referees report is final regardless. Nothing against Super or Rhode but I don't like this.
The video of the hit is circulating and it's a clear red card for me.
Pierce will dish out the cards Sunday no bother so the boys best be well behaved.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

bracknaghboy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:37 pm
So lets look at this.
The hearings committee are saying that Marius got it wrong and this wasn't a straight red.
Lets say Tullamore had won by a point, could Rhode have asked the hearings committee (or the CB or whoever) to look at the video and if they determined it wasn't a red card then could a replay have been ordered?

I'm a firm believer that the referees report is final regardless. Nothing against Super or Rhode but I don't like this.
Pierce will dish out the cards Sunday no bother so the boys best be well behaved.
Disagree totally with this sentiment. Play happens in real time and is judged in real time. Sometimes the referee gets it wrong and the player pays a huge price if it cannot be overturned. We saw this year where a referee sent off the wrong player in a camoige semi final and if the final say of a referee meant that the player missed an All-Ireland final, then that would be wrong. A review fixed the unfair punishment on an innocent player.

I believe that there is nothing wrong with reviewing in cold light of day with video evidence and coming to a fairer conclusion than that which was made in the heat of battle. In fact, I believe it is the right thing to do.

I am not saying it was or was not a red but having a review, where experienced refereeing officials have input is always better than relying on an inaccurate reading of a referees view. The main thing is that the rules and fairness applies.
jimbob

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

jimbob17 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:58 pm
So lets look at this.

Disagree totally with this sentiment. Play happens in real time and is judged in real time. Sometimes the referee gets it wrong and the player pays a huge price if it cannot be overturned. We saw this year where a referee sent off the wrong player in a camoige semi final and if the final say of a referee meant that the player missed an All-Ireland final, then that would be wrong. A review fixed the unfair punishment on an innocent player.

I believe that there is nothing wrong with reviewing in cold light of day with video evidence and coming to a fairer conclusion than that which was made in the heat of battle. In fact, I believe it is the right thing to do.

I am not saying it was or was not a red but having a review, where experienced refereeing officials have input is always better than relying on an inaccurate reading of a referees view. The main thing is that the rules and fairness applies.
Would you agree that a replay would be fair in that scenario?
But to my point again......what if Tullamore had won the final?
Surely based on your logic Rhode would have been within their rights to say "hang on, we had a lad wrongly sent off and this influenced the game and Tullamore won as a consequence" and therefore a replay would have to be ordered if the committee reviewing the footage deemed Marius to have made an error (which the have done in this instance).

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

bracknaghboy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:26 pm
jimbob17 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:58 pm

So lets look at this.

Would you agree that a replay would be fair in that scenario?
But to my point again......what if Tullamore had won the final?
Surely based on your logic Rhode would have been within their rights to say "hang on, we had a lad wrongly sent off and this influenced the game and Tullamore won as a consequence" and therefore a replay would have to be ordered if the committee reviewing the footage deemed Marius to have made an error (which the have done in this instance).
Absolutely not! The remit of such a committee is not to review the score or potential score if something or other had happened. It is to review a decision to send off a player and any subsequent suspension if required. Sure the way you are suggesting, you infer that a bad decision on a penalty that would have affected the game can be reviewed. The review is a disciplinary hearing based on an appeal by said player as to the fairness or otherwise of the referee's decision regarding their dismissal only and can't go into hypothetical scenarios, possible scores, outcomes or otherwise. Otherwise, sport as we know it could not exist as there would be an appeal in on most matches.

This committee deemed that Alan Mc should be free to play the next day (rightly or wrongly) based on the video evidence at their disposal of that one incident. That is it. There is nothing more to discuss!
jimbob

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

So lets look at this.

Fintan Pierce gave a dodgy penalty in the semi final, v Durrow, and issued a doubtful black card to a Durrow player. I was surprised he is the referee on Sunday. He could have a busy afternoon.
Marius Stones issued a straight red the last day on his actual judgement of the Alan McNamee offence, he was on the spot, not influenced by emotion. His decision should stand.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

If this was any game other than a final the red card wouldn’t have been overturned. GAA have a history of rescinding a red card if it means a player will miss the chance to play in the final. It happened this year in the All Ireland final for Limerick hurler Peter Casey.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

is it alan mcnamees 2nd or 3rd final?!?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

biffinbanner wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:07 pm is it alan mcnamees 2nd or 3rd final?!?
He will be hoping to win his 13th medal on Sunday. Some record.