Club Hurling championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Club Hurling championship

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:52 pm It was 6, huge win for clara.
They have 4 points now, same as Clodiagh Gaels. It looks like Tullamore are heading for promotion to Senior A. It’s a big jump from Senior B to SeniorA, two of the sides promoted in recent years, are facing a relegation play off.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Birr seem to be at fairly serious crossroads...2 initial wins, be it against teams they and most hurling folk outside clubs concerned would expect them to win...no disrespect at all to those clubs..while it will be great to see a Shinrone or Belmont in semi final its a sad day too in ways when a team of Birrs tradition wont be featuring in the knockout stages...on paper they seem to have a decent team, but as we all know its on the pitch that counts...I couldnt make or watch any games this weekend, I was a bit surprised at Rynaghs big win over KK, and Coolderry hammering Drumcullen is of use to now one, especially Drumcullen. Ballinamere scoring high when beating Seir Kieran but conceded a hefty score, and all these things balance out when you meat the heavy weights. Interesting last day ahead with the 4th place up for grabs...I think Shinrone look to be in the driving seat. Too many "ifs" to work out for the other teams...

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

SearingDrive wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:44 pm
private joker wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:52 pm It was 6, huge win for clara.
They have 4 points now, same as Clodiagh Gaels. It looks like Tullamore are heading for promotion to Senior A. It’s a big jump from Senior B to SeniorA, two of the sides promoted in recent years, are facing a relegation play off.
Is there a relegation playoff? Clara have shinrone last, gaels have kk. If both win, it will be a clara vs lusma, gaels vs tullamore I think?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

The reality is Birr have loads of potential on paper but still you have to go out and do it, all the talk is training has been excellent under the new manager and they are playing great in challenge matches only last weekend they beat sixmilebridge but the harsh reality is the new game plan and injuries to key players has cost them dearly. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Rynaghs but I expect shinrone to win big and get 4th spot.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

its hard see them beat a full strenght Rynaghs team on both current forms..while not wanting any team to go out with malice, I noted again reading their game V Shinrone match report, not one yellow card, like not even an "harsh" yellow card like, so it points to a team just playing hurling very nicely and nothing else...Shinrone will by righly wary of Kinnity, losing by 2 points to Belmont without Oisin Kelly is as sign Belmont mean business...Birr could beat a second Rynaghs team maybe, I dont know what way Rynaghs will face that game, but with so much at stake surely will have to field a strong team so as all teams in contenttion will get fair play...

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

From the matches I attended at the weekend:
1. Shinrone totally dominated the Birr forwards in the second half. Looked very good.

2. Coolderry showed no mercy to Drumcullen. The mother and father of all beatings. It was actually cringe inducing to watch. No fault of Coolderry.

3. Kinnitty have every reason to feel aggrieved with the refereeing in their match vs Belmont.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:56 am its hard see them beat a full strenght Rynaghs team on both current forms..while not wanting any team to go out with malice, I noted again reading their game V Shinrone match report, not one yellow card, like not even an "harsh" yellow card like, so it points to a team just playing hurling very nicely and nothing else...Shinrone will by righly wary of Kinnity, losing by 2 points to Belmont without Oisin Kelly is as sign Belmont mean business...Birr could beat a second Rynaghs team maybe, I dont know what way Rynaghs will face that game, but with so much at stake surely will have to field a strong team so as all teams in contenttion will get fair play...
Rynaghs don't need to ensure fair play to anyone, they need to look after themselves.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

of course, but putting out a a weak team in last round as they already have qualified for SF, and Birr winning as a result is not a true refection of the last round of games results...personally go out to win every game and keep momenttum going..I cannot see with the rivalry anyway Rynaghs doing that(i.e. putting out a weak team)...it going to be an interesting last day, Shinrone probably in best postion, but one never knows...

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

While I wasn't at the match, I presume the loss of Seán Ryan and Barry Harding was a major factor in Birr's defeat on Saturday. And both before half-time too.
greenairfield wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:17 am The reality is Birr have loads of potential on paper but still you have to go out and do it, all the talk is training has been excellent under the new manager and they are playing great in challenge matches only last weekend they beat sixmilebridge but the harsh reality is the new game plan and injuries to key players has cost them dearly. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Rynaghs but I expect shinrone to win big and get 4th spot.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I wonder would POTH know if Coolderry’s 36 point win over Drumcullen is the biggest margin of victory in the Offaly SHC? I would presume it is in the modern era anyways?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:26 pm of course, but putting out a a weak team in last round as they already have qualified for SF, and Birr winning as a result is not a true refection of the last round of games results...personally go out to win every game and keep momenttum going..I cannot see with the rivalry anyway Rynaghs doing that(i.e. putting out a weak team)...it going to be an interesting last day, Shinrone probably in best postion, but one never knows...
Maybe could have merit if Rynaghs intermediates were finished but they are also in a semi. Not 100% sure but my understanding is Rynaghs have only used 18 or 19 players in senior this year - so they would hardly put out a weaker team to give lads a run when them lads will rather not play to be eligible for meaningful game time with inters....

That said, I think from a mental perspective, will be a bit harder for Rynaghs to get themselves as up for this game as it will be for Birr. Interesting that if KK had beaten Rynaghs as they threatened to do at half time, the Rynaghs v Birr game could have become a knockout game in final round game.

Either way, looks like Rynaghs and Coolderry are the teams to beat this year. Most would have thought Coolderry were beyond their best but it appears they are in good form and seem very together this year. KK also getting through. Hoping Shinrone can make that jump to a semi that they have so often threatened in the past. With their age profile, now is their time, but they have flattered to deceive in recent years and they need to make a semi at least this year to show they are making progress.
jimbob

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Actually it equals a modern record. Birr beat Brosna Gaels 5-34 to 1-10 (also 36 points) in 2015.

While in the last decade there have been ugly margins when Kilcormac-Killoughey beat Ballyskenagh 4-32 to 2-5 (33 points) in 2009, Coolderry beat Shamrocks 4-24 to 0-3 (33 points) in 2012 and Seir Kieran beat Drumcullen 4-29 to 1-5 (33 points) in 2014, while Kinnitty beat Shamrocks 6-24 to 0-10 (32 points) and Shinrone beat Shamrocks 9-20 to 1-13 (31 points) in 2011. Such margins prompted the introduction of the Senior B championship in 2018.

But the all-time record stands at 47 points, when Drumcullen showed Kinnitty no mercy in a 13-9 to 0-1 (47 points) win in 1941. That beat Coolderry's 11-9 to 1-0 (39 points) win over newly promoted Mount Heaton (Ballyskenagh) in 1928.
frankthetank wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:11 pm I wonder would POTH know if Coolderry’s 36 point win over Drumcullen is the biggest margin of victory in the Offaly SHC? I would presume it is in the modern era anyways?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I spent 20 mins looking at this year's adult hurling championship in Offaly as I am always curious about participation levels in the sport.

Here is the summary.
  • There are 21 hurling clubs with 45 teams across all divisions in total (I am not counting Clareen's 3rd team as they didn't fulfill any fixtures).
    • KK have 4 teams entered in Senior, Senior B, Junior, Junior B. This is the most per any one club.
    • 6 clubs entered just 1 team. Mainly these are junior and junior B clubs, with Clara operating at Senior B being the highest ranking of the mono team clubs - their goal should be a second team at Junior B level asap. ​
    • The 10 senior clubs entered 28 of the teams .Of those clubs, the second teams operate at at Senior B or Intermediate level, apart from balinamere (Junior) and Drumcullen - whose 2nd team operate at Junior B level, which is a huge gap - especially when trying to arrange a 15 v 15 game at training. For instance Drumcullen's 2nd team would be competing against Kks fourth team.
    • Rynaghs, CoolDerry, Birr, Belmont, Shnirone, Ballinamere, Tullamore - all have 3 teams that played champtonship this year.
    • Clodagh Gaels, kinnitty, Drumcullen, Clareen, Lusmagh, Carrig, Shamrocks, - all have 2 teams playing championship.
Couple of Interesting points:

Of the recently amalgamated clubs Clodagh Gaels now only have 2 teams. Considering that Raheen, Killeigh, Killurin all used to at least have 1 team each, it is disappointing, as they playing numbers should be there.
BallyS / Killavilla only having one team is probably due to a lower numbers base there, but still a huge fallback from 15 years ago when both clubs were senior in their own right.

Great to see Edenderry and Gracefield with teams. Would love to see more clubs make an attempt to get a team going again - Daingean parish, Rhode parish.

I am not sure if 45 teams is about average or not. I would love to compare it to 10, 20, 30 years ago to see how it stacks up, but I wouldn't know where to get such data without having access to old programs.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

How are edenderry doing this year in junior hurling?

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Would 3-6 from play be up there in the record books, John Murphy for ballinamere vs Seir Kieran.