Offaly hurlers - starting 15 for Kilkenny in June

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Offaly hurlers - starting 15 for Kilkenny in June

Post by Lone Shark »

Similar idea to the football thread, though with my hurling knowledge not being up with those from south Offaly, I won't do the big article to the same extent.

Obviously as I would pick it - and assuming Gary Hanniffy is not available.

1 Breeder Still the main man, and a fine shot stopper. Once again against Down he gave an example of not concentrating in terms of coming out for a ball, and on another day his mess up in this regard against Clare last year would have been very costly. Still his jersey to lose though.

2 Barry Teehan Captain, and deservedly so based on 2004. Very solid, and should mature into the kind of leader we lack.

3 Sid Very unusual call this, but there are several reasons why I think it would work. As we all know, his legs aren't what they used to be, but this should be less of an issue here than anywhere else on the pitch. He's intelligent enough to read the game well, and his ability to clear ball in tight spaces is legendary. Also it'll be a benefit for the rest of the team as he'll be able to see everything happening in front of him. The collapse of the side in his absence against the strawberry pickers last year will ensure that he'll get accomodated somewhere in the team, and I see here as the best option.

4 Mick O'Hara Very harsh on Franks to lose out, but based on 2004 form, Mick has to be the call. Being that bit bigger will be an advantage as well.

5 Kevin Brady Player of the championship in Offaly, and looks ready to step up into what has become the most important line on a hurling field. A solid defender who should win his share of high ball and use it well.

6 Joe Brady The Hulk seems to be learning to shorten his swing and get hooked less, and is clearly the leading candidate for a position where it has to be said we've been weak in recent years. Time and again we've tried the Sid at 6 tactic and it has backfired. We don't really have anyone who could outhurl Henry Shefflin - Joe could deny him a lot of ball though, which would be a start.

7 Colm Cassidy Should be an All star nominee every year if he was living up to his talent. Needs to knuckle down and get more accurate with those 65's. For Offaly to progress we need Colm to knock over 70% of those long range frees - and it's not like he couldn't do it if he put the effort in.

8 Diggy Best wrists in the county at the moment, and a real threat for scores from distance. If he keeps his head, and continues the fine delivery into the forwards we saw in Carrig, he'll be the midfielder Offaly have lacked since Johnny P called it a day.

9 Ger This should still be his position. He's a great runner, forager, tackler and blocker - he needs to be in the engine room of the team. He could offer cover for Joe Brady on Shefflin going back, and draw out half forwards when he runs at the defence so as to create space.

10 Rory Hanniffy One of our two forwards who'd make a case for inclusion on any county side, and a nailed on starter. This position would give him the room to run at full back lines, while using his physique to unsettle the Ó'hAilpín's and Delaneys of this world.

11 Neville John Troy he ain't, but tenacious, fit, fast and good under the high ball he is. He could break a lot of ball from here, and stop opposing centre backs from imposing themselves on the game. Most of Offaly's bad defeats over the fast few years have stemmed from our inability to do anything with our own puckouts and starting each phase of play on the back foot. Neville would make life very uncomfortable for any centre back he's faced with.

12 Brian Carroll If he wasn't saddled with the family name, we wouldn't have anything like the unrealistically high expectations of this kid. As it is, he's a good player who can chip in with a few scores on his day, and is a goal threat. Worth his place, and still young, but far from being the messiah he's often hailed as.

13 Cathal Parlon Our Setanta. Should be able to impose himself on small corner backs, and equally should have the legs on the more Ryall-like backs. Him staying close to goals would give us a high ball option and allow Brendan to run out into open space also.

14 Brendy Our best all round player, and needs to be close to goals where he can do the most damage. Not a prolific points scorer, but his speed and intelligent play create great chances for those around him, and as our main goalscorer, this seems the best place to put him. My only complaint is that our forward line often lacks leadership, and as our most talented and experienced man up there, you'd criticise how he hasn't stepped up in this regard. His hurling is beyond reproach though.

15 Damien Murray Not a great threat from open play, but a good free taker, and will get picked on the strength of this alone. Could probably do with some gym work to work on his ball winning, as he can fade away after being out hustled for ball sometimes.

Overall, I'd be happy enough with the backs, and the midfield, but the forward still look light on scorers you can count on for one or two even on a bad day. The Sid at 3 notion will probably never air anywhere other than this website, and no doubt John McIntyre will have good reasons for not doing so that would escape a lesser hurling brain like mine, but tis only an opener in debate after all.

The floor is open for rebuttal and counter proposals..... :D

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

lads, why is gary hanniffy opted out?
i didn't know this

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Lone Shark, are you PJ Cunningham? :shock:
Only I remember him calling for Syd at full back some years back.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Wha?............

Post by Lone Shark »

I can assure you that I am not. I would have thought my non-Clara credentials would have been established by now.

Serves me right for being nice to the feckers in my review!!

As for Gary Hanniffy, I'm think he's going to America in conjunction with his work for six months or something along those lines. I could be mistaken though.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I remember PJ Cunningham suggesting Sid for full back in his Thursday Offaly talk column in the Indo.
I'm not sure it will happen.
Parlon at corner might be interesting. For the moment I'd see him as a 'have-a-go' wing forward capable of sticking over a couple of long range points. He mightn't have bulked up enough yet to be a target for puckouts.

My team would look something like:
--

Breeder Mullins

Barry Teehan
Mick O'Hara
David Franks

Kevin Brady (Sid coming off the bench and the crowd go mental)
Joe Brady
Colm Cassidy

Michael Cordial
Ger Oakley

Neville Coughlan
Rory Hanniffy
Brendan Murphy

Brian Carroll
Stephen Browne
Damien Murray

--

Self explanatory.
We need a bit more power at midfield and half forward.
Oakley would be an enforcer at midfield and Cordial's velvet wrists doing the flashy stuff.
Neville Coughlan would be a good ball carrier on the wing (perhaps needing to release it a bit earlier at times).