Irish Independent: The Day of the Short Whistle

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Irish Independent: The Day of the Short Whistle

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Vincent Hogan's recollection of that day in August 1998 from yesterday's Irish Independent
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic ... 56051.html

And here's my description of the build-up, something I write for this site at the time of the 10th anniversary:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1792
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Irish Independent: The Day of the Short Whistle

Post by SearingDrive »

Great article POTH. Nice to relive those heady days from 1998. I was at the 3 games with Clare, I think Offaly had the neutral support at the Thurles game.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

great times , but in fairness we were robbed the first day i was in the hoganstand for that game and clare got a free for nothing a high ball dropped down sid caught it and the ref gave a free in to clare . he played for a draw the first day. the 3rd game in thurles was unreal the final whistle was nearly as good as the final whistle in the final . wonderful times with wonderful hurling team.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

To the best of my recollection he gave Jamesie O'Connor a really soft free to tie it up. I think it was Kevin Kinehan he penalised for God only knows what. That often gets left out of the narrative of the trilogy.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Quite correct. Clare got a handy leveller of a free in the first game.
Referring to this, it was a Galway man that said to me once that sometimes you make your own bad luck. His theory being that if Jimmy Cooney hadn't manufactured a draw for Clare the first day, he never would have had his timing mishap in the replay.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Oh what a year! It remains one of the "big regrets of my life" on that short-whistle day. Like most people around, I immediately copped that it was blown early. In a furious rage, I stormed out of the stadium, up the North Circular Road and got to my car. I turned on the radio and only then heard about the on-pitch protest. This made me even more angry ... I WAS MISSING IT. I thought hard about running back to join in, but the radio lads were starting to suggest it was dispersing.

I cant remember the reason why I could not go to Thurles for Game 3, but beating the Cats in September to become the first "Back-door" winner crowned the year out. Great read from POTH there. I only wish I could recall levels of detail like that. Oh what a year!
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.